2000 4wd trans or tcase.

Keeper0311

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4x4
As some of you may have seen in my registry, recently I had the rear diff of my 2000 Ford Explorer XLT, 4wd blow up on me. After about two months I was able to get a used axle (code: D2) as a direct replacement for my now dead one. The diff had grenaded itself and left me stranded.

Now onto my current issue. I just buttoned everything up, and attempted to put the Ex in drive, to my frustration no movement of the vehicle. I then attempted to put the T case 4hi, 4 lo and the same results. Now I'm hoping you all can give me some ideas to test the transfer case, or the transmission to attempt to diagnose which one of those could possibly have gone dead one me as well.

There's more information on the actual event in my registry if you all wouldn't mind reading that. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a bump for ya..

Does the vehicle roll when its in park?

If so its not the tranny.

It does not roll when it's in park. So would that then lead me to the transfer case? I suspected this may be the culprit as my front left wheel locked up, and found my rear diff destroyed. Is it possible that the rear diff blowing up caused a chain reaction within the transfer case?

I am thinking transmission if it does not roll while in park.

Check the transmission fluid level with the engine running and with the engine off. The level should be lower with the engine running, if there is no change of the fluid level then the transmission fluid pump is not working. This will cause a no movement situation.

True but if the transfer case or a axle or a the differential has failed it will.

If it holds it tells you that none of that is the cause of the no movement situation and that the transmission is more likely the cause.

Fluid level was within the acceptable area, checked levels both cold, and hot and the level definitely changed so I guess that takes the pump out of consideration correct? Also checked to make sure the linkage for the trans was connected and functioning. And that's all good.

Check it with the engine running and then again with the engine off, the level should drop with the engine running. Not a hot and cold thing.

Level dropped with the engine running to in between the two small holes on the bottom of the dipstick, which I understand is normal.

Also I believe I've ruled out the transfer case l, I jacked the vehicle up on all fours to include jack stand for safety. And then put her in drive along with 4hi. I then turned the rear drive shaft and observed the front drive shaft moving accordingly.

So this would narrow me down to transmission correct?

Yea thats what its looking like.

It is strange that you have no movement at all, there is only a few things that will cause this and it not be the pump.

Stripped splines on the input shaft or in the converter, or a broken input shaft.

Failed converter.

Manual valve disconnected from the internal linkage, remove the pan to check.

Any other failure it should move one way or another.

Back