• Register Today It's free!

Motor mount spacers

95viper08

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Stevens
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT Custom
Hey y'all so I got my headers today for doing my 302 swap in my 93 ex - my issue is my the header lays against the frame on passenger side and doesn't clear the steering shaft on driver - If I've measured correctly I can make them clear if I lift my motor about 3inchs

What are the cons of using a motor spacer? OR does someone have a set of headers that will fit they would sell for $3-400 that DONT leak?

I hate that I have to put this but please no bashing on my questions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have 3" of clearance over the body tunnel where the tranny is under. You have to remember the tranny is connected plus the Transfer case this will increase the drive line angle.

You can heat and dimple the header for a little clearance but 3" is allot.

Vq5speed I'm actually 2wd with a T5 tranny but yes I have at least 3inches in the tunnel and on the firewall above the bellhousing

Flip I may have to dimple the driver side to clear the steering shaft

Still 3" is a lot you wouldn't want the gear box pressed against the floor and firewall. You'd want some air space. Plus you would have to raise the radiator or go electric but then you have to extend the radiator hoses. Have you looked into a possible Jointed steering shaft. You can add some U joints to the shaft move around the pipe,

I have a big electric fan and a cowled hood. I didn't have to roll the welds where the firewall and floor pan meet when I installed the motor so I can still do quite a bit - I'm just unsure of how I ended up sitting so low when I measured everyrhing out. I know it's all part of doing custom stuff but this really threw me for a loop

What headers do you have??

Jd! Long time buddy I lost contact with you. They're BBK shorty headers - but after some measuring I am sitting low in the engine bay I have to raise the motor

Jd! Long time buddy I lost contact with you. They're BBK shorty headers - but after some measuring I am sitting low in the engine bay I have to raise the motor

How low? Think I have some old pic/measurement from when I did my motor and mounts.

If it was me I would see if I could move the motor back as far as possible and as low as possible.

I wouldnt use spacers.if any changes need to be made I would do a one off set of mounts ;) those bbk are for fox body right?

It's been almost a 6months

and you swapped a v8 in to your ex?

It's been almost a 6months

and you swapped a v8 in to your ex?

No I needed clearance for my sohc oil pan.I raised it 3/4" and moved it forward to help the supercharger inlet clear the firewall..it still didnt clear tho.lol

Rule of thumb tho you always want the motor as low and far back as possible. Going 3" up with especially a v8 will effect the balance of the vehicle. Dont know if thats a big issue for you or not.

Ps I still have the ex but have a ranger I've been building now ;) good to see your still around and workn on yours tho

well I compared my mounts to the L&L swap mounts and those are taller than mine but my mounts are A LOT beefier but sit lower - ive got almost 12inces from top of manifold to bottom of the hood so I do need to move up. Plus my tranny sits low so as well - it was a quick install bc I was moving - sadly no excuse but its what happened.

yeah ill try and get some pics posted soon or if your still on facebook add me up

how is that ranger doing? you were finishin suspension and brakes the last we talked

well I compared my mounts to the L&L swap mounts and those are taller than mine but my mounts are A LOT beefier but sit lower - ive got almost 12inces from top of manifold to bottom of the hood so I do need to move up. Plus my tranny sits low so as well - it was a quick install bc I was moving - sadly no excuse but its what happened.

yeah ill try and get some pics posted soon or if your still on facebook add me up

how is that ranger doing? you were finishin suspension and brakes the last we talked

Right on.hey things happen, thats how we learn.least we get it right eventually.lol yea post some pictures. Sounds like you got more room than we can picture, just when we hear 3" that sounds like lot

I thought we was friends on fb.lol know we have talked, send me another request; )

Ranger is coming along, just doing small things waiting on my pistons to get made.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3326248#post3326248

jd cant find you on fb - not sure why

jd cant find you on fb - not sure why

Hmm I dont know how to even link my page :( I just posted on the explorer fb page(jd douglass)

I found ya haha

alright so next question - I have thick wall steel tubing - these walls are easy 1/2inch thick - will that be a suitable spacer? this is high grade steel - I used it to build my caliper offsets for the oversized rotor conversion everyone does. Jegs sells a 2inch and 1inch kit - id rather not order if I already have the materials

Back