Plasti dipped grille | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where did u get the ford badge in front? Never seen that style

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for the stupid question, but I am very interested in seeing your grill and what you did but I don't see pics in this post. How is everyone seeing it?

a little grill dipping

Had to stay home with the baby today so I decided to dip the grill... We didnt like the silver grill and will probably get a sport grill in the future but this will do for now!

11999141613_9ee580045a_b.jpg

11999137533_c2cfc68bac_b.jpg

11999644526_3b657d263d_b.jpg

11998826795_f6fa42b0b3_b.jpg

11999187994_881423c8e6_b.jpg

That looks great. Nice work!

Sweet! Glad you left the chrome trim. looks great and still looks factory OEM.

Looks great OP. i can't wait to Spray my lady's grill. We got her vinyl in today for her door handles. Also got her springs and HID's ordered. should be here next week. so excited. Next will be wheels!

Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for this one.

very nice!! BTW are your fog lights yellow film covered or do you have aftermarket kit?? how are they in low visibility? txs

The lights are yellow film until I can find yellow fogs. Then I will do 6000k hid headlight and yellow hid fogs.

The factory textured look is what I like about plasti dip. I used a whole can just on the grill. It's on there thick!!!

Great job with the grille ARS1.:biggthump
I also think it looks a lot better with the chrome bars. Looks a little more 'upscale' in my opinion than all black. The combo of the black grille with the platinum white body looks fantastic.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter

Great job with the grille ARS1.:biggthump
I also think it looks a lot better with the chrome bars. Looks a little more 'upscale' in my opinion than all black. The combo of the black grille with the platinum white body looks fantastic.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter

Yea I thought that all black was just too much and makes it look like a base model vehicle. The Chrome gives it more contrast and like you said a little more "upscale"

This looks great, but why would you spray the grill while it is still mounted, now you just clogged up the air flow with plastidip...

This looks great, but why would you spray the grill while it is still mounted, now you just clogged up the air flow with plastidip...

:eek: Put paper behind it :mattmoon:

Looks good!!

I was thinking the exact same thing when I bought my 2013, didn't like the factory grille, was thinking would look so much better if black. Was going to powdercoat it, but the dip sounds way cheaper, easier, and yes, I am glad to see an example of what I was thinking about doing, looks great, nice to know my hunch was a good one, great info, confirms my thoughts were spot on, looks like I have another thing to add to my to do list, once it warms up this spring. Thanks for pic.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I bought my 2013, didn't like the factory grille, was thinking would look so much better if black. Was going to powdercoat it, but the dip sounds way cheaper, easier, and yes, I am glad to see an example of what I was thinking about doing, looks great, nice to know my hunch was a good one, great info, confirms my thoughts were spot on, looks like I have another thing to add to my to do list, once it warms up this spring. Thanks for pic.
Just curious as to which model you have. Base, XLT, Limited. It hasn't been added to your profile so it doesn't show in the margin.
I think some grilles on the base and XLT look good depending on the colour of the body. In some cases, a black grille might be a better fit.

Peter

I went with the base model, 4wd, normally aspirated 3.5. Just went with the base model, figuring I'd mod it myself to suit my taste and preferences, and it's coming along, have a long list of things to do, in time. Yeah, am new to this whole forum thing, just joined today, so not yet too familiar with navigating the site yet, is first forum I've ever joined. Thanks, will figure it all out.

I went with the base model, 4wd, normally aspirated 3.5. Just went with the base model, figuring I'd mod it myself to suit my taste and preferences, and it's coming along, have a long list of things to do, in time. Yeah, am new to this whole forum thing, just joined today, so not yet too familiar with navigating the site yet, is first forum I've ever joined. Thanks, will figure it all out.
Welcome to the Forum 2013Sploder.:wavey:
To add the model just go to the top of the page and select User CP, on the resulting page select the first item Edit Your Details and in the top section there is a place for Year and Model.
The Forum does have a bit of a learning curve, just like the Explorer. ;)

Peter

Looks good. I did mine a different way, but a similar result.
I ordered a chrome insert, coated the insert and installed coated piece on the Explorer.
Pictures you ask? Well, of course.

The insert has about 5 coats, and the whole process took about an hour. I waited about 10 to 15 minutes between coats. It has been on since March 15. The day I did the little project it was nice outside, but since dropped to below freezing, gotten wet and muddy and been thru 2 washes with no issues.

The insert may have been overkill, but my plan was to see if I like the black and see if my buddy would paint the chrome insert black, but after seeing the results of the Plastidip, I don't think I will bother.

X_White_zps91591e1d.jpg

X_Chrome_zpscb9d73b3.jpg

InsertDipped_zps82c63bb7.jpg

X_Black_zps86cd961b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is mine

I too left the chrome strips alone but holy crap is it a pain to remove the grille and the chrome

Back