Driver Seat Back Padding 2014 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver Seat Back Padding 2014 Explorer Sport

smootherton

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Does anyone else have an issue with the driver seat padding? Aside from the terrible leg bolstering, I find that there is a serious lack of padding in the center of the back padding, which leads to curving my back because the shoulder area padding is so beefy. If anyone else has experience this, did you come up with any workarounds?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do your seats have a lumbar support adjustment? That is one of the first things I adjusted in my MKT. Can't recall if my 2011 Limited had it or not since it isn't something you adjust every day.

Peter

Yeah the padding in the lumbar area is slim so as to allow for the lumbar padding to hit the right area depending on your need.

Adjust that and should solve your problems.

I've owed a lot of Fords over the years, and they have never had what I would call comfortable seats. I think it's the nature of the beast.

Yes I have the lumbar support. The issue with mine is that the cushioning at the top of the seat, where my shoulders are, protrudes out causing my shoulders to slouch forward or if I straighten my back there is zero support in the middle of my back. I'm only 5'11 and 180 lbs, but these seats seem like they were made for a tiny woman.

The comfort of the seats is a weak point, but I have gotten used to it, so I can't say they are terrible.

I also have a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero. Saab's have always been known for their seat comfort. Even with the sport bolstered seats I have on the older Saab, night and day in comfort.

Still, happy with my Ex overall. Ford needs work on seats across the board. Seats on my 2009 Escape XLT nothing to write home about either.

Driver seat

I have a 13 Limited, last year when I got my explorer, I found that the driver seat felt like it was lacking support in the butt. It felt like you were sitting in a depression, I compared the passenger seat to the driver side, and found that the passenger side was fitted with a gray and white stiff foam type of board. The driver side did not have this. I found a 1/4" fiber board, 6" X 12", and slipped it just under the foam pad and the seat springs. This gave the support/ firmness that the seat needed. I hope this did not hi-jack your thread. Just wanted to pass this on. ;) Pete

Coming from a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, the seats in my Explorer are a welcome change!!!!!!!!! Love 'em. The Jeep's seats were like granite.

Tony

Coming from a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, the seats in my Explorer are a welcome change!!!!!!!!! Love 'em. The Jeep's seats were like granite.

Tony

Good to know as that was the other vehicle I was considering besides the Explorer.

I actually like the seats in my ex sport. I'm 6'3" and 225lbs. How did they feel during the test drive before you bought the car?

Any other notable differences between the Jeep and the Ex you can share? Just curious...

I had a 2011 Explorer Limited with the same seat and had no problem it was very comfortable. About a month ago I traded it in for a 2015 Explorer sport and I am having the same problem that you are with the seat. The top cushion is very firm and it sticks out slightly, the lower cushion with the lumbar is okay, but the middle cushion is the one that's too soft and I feel like I'm sinking in causing some pain in my upper back. I'm thinking of taking it to a trim shop to see if they can add some firmer foam to the seat.

Any other notable differences between the Jeep and the Ex you can share? Just curious...

There are, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

Tony

I had a 2011 Explorer Limited with the same seat and had no problem it was very comfortable. About a month ago I traded it in for a 2015 Explorer sport and I am having the same problem that you are with the seat. The top cushion is very firm and it sticks out slightly, the lower cushion with the lumbar is okay, but the middle cushion is the one that's too soft and I feel like I'm sinking in causing some pain in my upper back. I'm thinking of taking it to a trim shop to see if they can add some firmer foam to the seat.

I too came from a 2011 Limited, upgrading to a 2014 Sport. I'm 6 ft, 180 lbs and I greatly prefer the feel of the Sport seats.

My guess is this is one of those things, we are all built differently and because of that, what might feel good on my back wouldn't be good at all for you and vice versa. Seats aren't really a one size fits all, though they generally have to try.

I bet if you try hard enough you could find someone in a Limited to trade for some Sport seats...

Back