2004 4.6L Transmission vs 4.0L Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 4.6L Transmission vs 4.0L Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeTEC

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L
Is the 2004 4.6L transmission the same as the one used with the 4.0L engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is the same transmission, with a different bellhousing bolt pattern.

The above is pretty much totally true and you can't just swap bellhousings being that are cast one piece with the case. The other main difference is the V8 has an 8 lug converter with an adapter ring that bolts between it and the flex plate.

Matt

There are three types of transmission Ford used. One trans for 2wd, 1 is used for 1 speed transfer case non control trac, the other is 2 speed transfer case with control trac. Does not matter on engine just options you have. I believe this is how it goes:

5R55E - 2wd
5R55S - 4x4 or Awd 1 speed tranfer case
5R55W - 4x4 2 speed transfer case with control trac.

My 05 is a 5R55W. control trac 4.6L V8 4wd

There are three types of transmission Ford used. One trans for 2wd, 1 is used for 1 speed transfer case non control trac, the other is 2 speed transfer case with control trac. Does not matter on engine just options you have. I believe this is how it goes:

5R55E - 2wd
5R55S - 4x4 or Awd 1 speed tranfer case
5R55W - 4x4 2 speed transfer case with control trac.

My 05 is a 5R55W. control trac 4.6L V8 4wd

The 3rd gen only had the 5R55S or the 5R55W. The 2WD came with the 5R55S.

The Ford parts catalog lists 3.

Are these the same five speed transmissions used with Ford's F-150 4.6L engine?

No the trans are completely different. F-150's had a 4 speed and the newer ones are 6 speeds. Explorer's 2006 are 6 speeds.

It's also safe to note that the 4.6 in the f150 is a different engine. 4.6/5.4/6.8 triton series while the Explorer uses the 4.6 2v Modular like the Mustang(99-04 GT) just de-tuned.

umm the 4.6L is a triton. Is the EXACT same as the 4.6L used in a F150.

possible thread hi-jack:

Will an '02 4.6 2wd tranny fit into a '03 4.0 2wd?

umm the 4.6L is a triton. Is the EXACT same as the 4.6L used in a F150.

04-08 11th gen f150 Tritons

4.6 L (281 CID) Triton V8
5.4 L (330 CID) Triton V8

02-05 3rd gen explorers

4.0 L Cologne V6
4.6 L 16-valve Modular V8

the 5.0L Windsor was replaced by the 4.6L 2v modular V8, the new 5.0L coyote replaces this engine.

The tritons are rubbish compared to the modular series, don'y ever tarnish the modular name by calling it a Triton, tritons were failures with the major spark plug recall. Ford replaced the whole engine lineup of tritons with the current four options after that fiasco.

Dude only difference is INTAKE MANIFOLDS! They just slap the name triton on the side of a truck for the hell of it.

THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME! Go do a little research please! Do you even know what a chevy 350 vs a vortec 350 is? Or even what a ford windsor motor is? Bet you haven't even heard of a Ford FE motor! Cleveland ring any bells?

I promise. I will bet $100 easy that they are the EXACT SAME! The 1991 Lincoln town car 4.6 Modular is the exact same as the Mustang 4.6 2V which is the same as an explorer 4.6 2V and a f150 4.6 2V! Only difference over the years, is better intake manifold (trucks get even better because of more space), head design, and cam design! I could pull any f150, e150, e250, expedition, or mustang 4.6 TRITON 2V, swap the intake manifold and BAM! Explorer motor!

From 1997–2010, Ford modular engines used in Ford trucks carried the Triton name.

The ford
V8: 4.6 SOHC 2V SOHC 3V DOHC 4V
5.0 DOHC 4V
5.4 SOHC 2V SOHC 3V DOHC 4V
5.8 Supercharged DOHC 4V
V10: 6.8 SOHC 2V SOHC 3V V10

Motors are all modular.

Not to be confused with 302W (really 4.9L but ford stretched to 5.0L), 351W (5.8L) and 351C (5.8L) or 352FE (5.8L)

Dude only difference is INTAKE MANIFOLDS! They just slap the name triton on the side of a truck for the hell of it.

THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME! Go do a little research please! Do you even know what a chevy 350 vs a vortec 350 is? Or even what a ford windsor motor is? Bet you haven't even heard of a Ford FE motor! Cleveland ring any bells?

I promise. I will bet $100 easy that they are the EXACT SAME! The 1991 Lincoln town car 4.6 Modular is the exact same as the Mustang 4.6 2V which is the same as an explorer 4.6 2V and a f150 4.6 2V! Only difference over the years, is better intake manifold (trucks get even better because of more space), head design, and cam design! I could pull any f150, e150, e250, expedition, or mustang 4.6 TRITON 2V, swap the intake manifold and BAM! Explorer motor!

They aren't the same. And no the mustangs is a 3v version not a 2v version. Do your research! I know the town cars /crown vics/explorer shares same engines.

The triton is different otherwise please explain why my spark plugs or any other 3rd gen owner hasn't popped out? Thought so!

Triton problematic engine while the modular isn't. If it was same engine they would of just called it one name! Manifold change isn't a excuse to call it a different engine. If you actually looked at the Crown vic/lincoln town car They also have different manifolds due to the different placement. Did thy change the name of engine? No no they didn't.

Look at the cologne for example, same engine from the first gen explorers yet they have changed many different parts on it yet did they change the name of engine? Once again no no they didn't.

You don't just slap parts on and call it a different engine unless it is a totally different engine block design.

This thread has been closed as it has turned into a flame thread. No further posts will be made.

Sorry, but it had to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back