full synthetic oil | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

full synthetic oil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

I get my used oil analyzed and based on every report, changing full synthetic after just 5k miles would be a waste of time/money. Synthetic is good for much longer than many people realize

I get my used oil analyzed and based on every report, changing full synthetic after just 5k miles would be a waste of time/money. Synthetic is good for much longer than many people realize
UOA w/ TBN on Mobil 1 5W/20 with Motorcraft 500 S filter shows it easily makes 10K with additive levels still adequate in mixed driving.

I use synthetic primarily because of its low temperature flow characteristics. It flows! An unscientific test; I was changing the oil in my generator and using Amsoil small engine synthetic. The original oil was conventional. It was a cold day, temps about 40F and the generator was cold. The conventional oil just glubbed out even with the fill open. My son even opened the gas cap thinking it would break the suction. The Amsoil flowed from the bottle without a problem and it was the same temperature.

The reason GM switched Corvettes to Mobil 1 was due to a cold snap at the Bowling Green, KY assembly plant. They seized about 8 engines all for the same reason. Oil did not reach one of the crankshaft bearings in time at first start. So their solution was easy, use an oil that flows well when cold.

I use the oil life meter in my vehicles with them. I can see the different rates they tick off at based on start temperature, how their driven and if I'm towing or not. I typically change at 5% but have gone down to 0 when I didn't have the time. It works out to around 7500 miles. Also the OLM does not know what oil is in the engine. Its calibrated for the recommended oil. A synthetic may still be good for another 2500 miles, but the computer does not know that.

BTW the OLM systems are not oil analysis systems or a "magic eye". Its a computer algorithm with a baseline for normal driving. Deviating from normal driving speeds up or slows down the count down rate.

The OLM seems to notice that I drive many short trips since my readings seem to indicate lower oil life percentages at lower mileage. The OLM determines engine oil life based on actual driving conditions.

Peter

GM's Oil Life Monitor has done this from the start and was patented. As I understand it, Ford's initially just tracked miles and but now takes driving into account.

GM's Oil Life Monitor has done this from the start and was patented. As I understand it, Ford's initially just tracked miles and but now takes driving into account.

I think that is a fair assumption.

Let me ask a question that maybe someone knows the answer to. Where did the 3,000 mile requirement for oil changes first originate? It had to be back in the dark ages, when most motor oil still had dinosaur bones floating in it.

I think most oils today are refined sufficiently, and have sufficient additives that 3,000 miles is almost an absurdly short time for changing oil.

Let me ask a question that maybe someone knows the answer to. Where did the 3,000 mile requirement for oil changes first originate? It had to be back in the dark ages, when most motor oil still had dinosaur bones floating in it.

I think most oils today are refined sufficiently, and have sufficient additives that 3,000 miles is almost an absurdly short time for changing oil.

The 6 month 3000 mile oil change goes back to the days when there was just dino oil and oil classifications were much lower than current oil ratings. Additives and refining methods have changes considerably so the mileage rating has been increased but the 6 month has not. The reason for the 6 months is if you don't drive the vehicle very often or very far for the engine to heat the oil over the boiling point of water is water condenses in the crankcase and is not purged out with the crankcase venting while driving adequate distances. If you drive enough you can go longer than 6 months and up to a year or up to 10k miles using the ford blended oil. Ford uses a synthetic blend oil to get the higher mileage between changes. Also note that many European countries by law designate vehicles to have higher oil change intervals of 12k to 15k miles or one year for environmental concerns of oil disposal. There is a European oil grading system and most oil used in Europe is pure synthetic. Some oil sold here in the USA is also sold in Europe with the European grading system and can go 12k to 15k miles.

The only sure way to determine oil life is to test it at regular intervals. If your not wanting to do that then the oil life meter is the next best thing or just do a 6 month and so many miles interval. What ever makes you feel good about your vehicle maintenance.

Right now, my "smart" oil life monitor is indicating that I should be able to drive 8750 miles. No way can I bring myself to do that, so I'll probably do this first oil change around 5,000, then possibly stretch it out for subsequent changes.

On my Nissan Murano, I only drive it between 7,000 and 8,000 miles per year and I do use the 6 month interval. It's normally around 4,000 miles.

For what it's worth, WalMart sells 5W30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance for ridiculously cheap. $27.97 for a 5-quart jug. That's only $5.59 per quart, WAY cheaper than any automotive store I can find it at, or even on Amazon. They must buy a lot to get it that cheap and still make a profit.

Tony

I put 248k on my '03 V8 changing the oil with a blend about every 3,500 miles. Yeah, yeh, I know but at 11 years and a quarter million miles she wasn't burning any oil when I sold her.

As far as RPMs go, I regularly see 4,000 RPM with the '14 when I seldom saw it from my 4.6L '03.

For what it's worth, WalMart sells 5W30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance for ridiculously cheap. $27.97 for a 5-quart jug. That's only $5.59 per quart, WAY cheaper than any automotive store I can find it at, or even on Amazon. They must buy a lot to get it that cheap and still make a profit.

Tony

They had the Mobil1 on sale last month for ~$24 a jug. The Penzoil Platinum just went on sale for ~$23 a jug. I bought 5 :D

Sooo it's that time again for the "old oil change" just talking with my dealer/parts tech and I mentioned I'm going "full synthetic" this time and he asked me why? I told him I thought that it was better? He didn't seem to think so? so is it all really "piece of mind" can I save the extra $20 and still know I'm getting the best protection? What say you?

Just to add he thought that for "older" vehicles it might be better? The PI had been on the road since 2011, it's a 2013 though, and I just hit the 50000kms mark. Anything else I should check?

Synthetic oil does provide a few advantages but you will be just fine using the regular oil. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic in a 1981 Datsun 510 when I was working shift and the car sat out in a parking lot all night. Winter starting was a breeze. Had the car 9 years and have never used anything but regular oil since then. My dealer also sells the full synthetic but says there is absolutely no problem staying with the premium regular oil. That is what they use for the Ecoboost engines as well unless a customer requests something different.

Peter

Thanks Peter, BTW do you think it would make any difference if you switched oils later on? For instance I might be using Costco in the future and they only do synthetic? Good point about the cold weather,we have had some extreme cold for the month of Feb, so the synthetic may have been a bonus?

I don't believe there should be any issues changing at a later date. I didn't start using the Mobil 1 right away when I switched. Coldest February here in the Capital in 115 years. I park my vehicle in the garage where it is always a little warmer than outside. Although I never had any starting issues, a full synthetic would technically make the engine easier to start and the lubrication would probably be a bit quicker given that the oil stays more fluid. You can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well given the colder weather these days, it's been minus 25 plus for just about the whole month of Feb, I think that it may be worth it. My vehicle sits outside for long periods at work, so the "cold" start is a reality. Thanks

Back