• Register Today It's free!

Paint coming off parking sensor?

generaltso

Reaction score
City, State
Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
I was washing the Explorer yesterday when I noticed the paint is all coming off the plastic recessed part that surrounds the parking sensor that's on the driver's side front bumper corner. Now you can see the white plastic underneath it.

Has anyone else sen this problem? I assume it should be covered under warranty?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was washing the Explorer yesterday when I noticed the paint is all coming off the plastic recessed part that surrounds the parking sensor that's on the driver's side front bumper corner. Now you can see the white plastic underneath it...

Hi generaltso,

Your dealership's service manager will be in the best position to let you know if a repair can be made under warranty. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

If not covered under warranty, it shouldn't be difficult to use the touch up paint you can get from the dealer. When they had to replace a front right sensor on my 2011 Ex, the sensor had to be sent out to get painted to match the Platinum White Tri-coat.

Peter

I was washing the Explorer yesterday when I noticed the paint is all coming off the plastic recessed part that surrounds the parking sensor that's on the driver's side front bumper corner. Now you can see the white plastic underneath it.

The same thing just happened to my 2013 Limited. Since a trip to the dealer will be a 1.5 hour drive and it will take 2 or 3 trips to get this fixed, it's definitely not worth it to me to take it in. A bit of touch up paint will do it.

Our 2013 did the same thing. It was covered under warranty and is an easy fix for the dealership to perform. Your Ex wouldn't happen to be Sterling Gray would it?

How about that!

Did they repaint it or just swap out the sensor surround?

I know this tread is a little old but haven't seen a recent one. I've got a 13 Limited in the beautiful Ruby Red and my front driver sensor is bare of paint. Started with a little chip and now its just peeled off completely while washing.

Anyone gotten the dealer to take care of it? Mine is still under the 36k warranty.

I know this tread is a little old but haven't seen a recent one. I've got a 13 Limited in the beautiful Ruby Red and my front driver sensor is bare of paint. Started with a little chip and now its just peeled off completely while washing.

Anyone gotten the dealer to take care of it? Mine is still under the 36k warranty.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
see post 6 above.

Peter

I did get mine repaired under warranty as well.

dealer took care of mine. actually sent it to a body shop. i also got the hood redone due to paint bubbles.

If not covered under warranty, it shouldn't be difficult to use the touch up paint you can get from the dealer. When they had to replace a front right sensor on my 2011 Ex, the sensor had to be sent out to get painted to match the Platinum White Tri-coat.

Peter

I just ordered a Platinum White Tri-Coat color. I was reading about some of the paint issues that for some it chirps in a few years or cracks and then for some it was more difficult to re-paint as some of the body shops did not match the paint perfectly or were charging more to fix it.
Some of the positives were that it kind of reflects its colors at night or sunset and you can see it kind of extra white, purple color.

Tri coat is new to me. I never had a car like that but you can certainly notice some on the street once you have one.

I also have a sterling grey '12 explorer and had my sensors repainted 2 years ago. One is peeling again so off to the dealership we go! Last time I think they ordered new sensors and had them painted to match.

I also have a sterling grey '12 explorer and had my sensors repainted 2 years ago. One is peeling again so off to the dealership we go! Last time I think they ordered new sensors and had them painted to match.
New sensors do have to be painted to match the vehicle colour. Why not just use a bit of touch up paint rather than having the dealer do the work?

Peter

Back