Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford) | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford)

wiring

RangerSVT, I have read the different projects you have done. I am wanting to put a 98 5.0 in my o1 sport trac. I have the 98 thanks to our son wrecking it on the ice last winter so it is complete including a overhauled computer. The wiring is my concern. Would it be easier to make an extension for the wiring harness than to extend it like you have done. With a 98 what wiring issues will I have. Just have to say very impressive the work you do on wiring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a long time friend and fellow Sport Trac owner lose his battle to cancer last week. He is know pain free and was a great Christian man, Jim Coomer. I don't think he ever got on this forum as he had a bone stock one owner 2001, the first one I ever saw. His truck made me want one for awhile before I got my first one.

While I was down in the Cookeville area I had a muffler shop that had done work for me in the past put my muffler on for me. No video or sounds clips but I will try to figure that out. I have a 3 1/2 tip painted black at the end. The first picture is of the V8 in the ST. The next is looking back, note my freshly painted driveshaft that I got to work. The last one is the tip hanging just below the bumper cover.

Attachments

• 0817141454a.jpg
    0817141454a.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 0817141454.jpg
    0817141454.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 317
  • 0817141453b.jpg
    0817141453b.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 322

Sorry about your loss.

Exhaust looks good. Do you like how it sounds?

Thanks, he was a great guy from a good family and will be missed.

Its got a good deep tone, doesn't sound as good as my Mustang but close.

RangerSVT, I have read the different projects you have done. I am wanting to put a 98 5.0 in my o1 sport trac. I have the 98 thanks to our son wrecking it on the ice last winter so it is complete including a overhauled computer. The wiring is my concern. Would it be easier to make an extension for the wiring harness than to extend it like you have done. With a 98 what wiring issues will I have. Just have to say very impressive the work you do on wiring.

There is quite a few differences for the 98. Your best bet is to get a 99 engine and trans harness, fuel rails, cam syncronizer & cps, O2 sensors, cruise module and abs module all from the 99-01....

SVT

That all looks great, keep it looking that nice.

That name Jim Coomer rings a bell, I have probably heard mention of him before. I hope his family is doing well, best wishes.

Is that shackle longer than stock BTW, I see it's well made?

Yep those are Warrior shackles for my lift. They give me the room to make it look like this.

Attachments

• 0817141453.jpg
    0817141453.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 304
  • 0817141453a.jpg
    0817141453a.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 319

So several pages back there was a picture of a white ST and a white F150. I was taking the ST to RangerSVT for an engine swap. He put the engine from the red ST that got the V8 into the white ST. He did some gaskets, tensioners and fluids. I picked it up this weekend and its running great. The truck has 202k on it, engine has 157k. So now I had three running trucks, so the F150 went up for sale on Monday and I sold it tonite. My plans at this point are to keep both ST's. The red V8 for me and the white ST for my almost 15 year old son. Just thought I would put an update and thank Rick again for all his hard and good work this year. He really knows his stuff!

Attachments

• 1022141745.jpg
    1022141745.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 285

Nice looks good, any updates on the red ST?

I have been driving it, probably 1,500 miles so far, it had a intermittent no start but know its a no start. Luckily it happened at work. We think its the ecm so I picked one up today at the junkyard. I got one for a 96-97, no pats. Rick thinks that might have been the problem, it seems to be having trouble building fuel pressure by a manual gauge. Everything seems to work well. The cruise issue I had that was doing it before the swap ended up being a bad horn that was damaged and the wire was hitting ground which would blow the fuse.

Great to hear about the trucks being finished as planned. Well done to you, and Rick of course.

BTW, where did you go that had the 96/97 302 PCM? I still need one more engine/trans harness from those years. I got one from the Pull A Part here last month, that's a tough harness to remove with everything still in place. I only got the upper intake with it, and another truck(98) came in and was stripped quickly.

Have you got the no start issue figured out yet?

I brought the ecm into work today and the tech thats been working on it went and put it in and it fired right up. I want to check it several more times as it was intermitten for a while.

I get most of my stuff at Glenns auto parts in Rockwood. I have been dealing with them for over 30 years. They are more of an old style junk yard. He has several of that body style V8 Explorer. Give them a call and see if the harness is still good that I got the ecm from.

Thanks, and I know of Glenn's. I've been there a few times, it's a good long dive from here. I got 4WD Sport Trac spindles from them, for my 99 Limited. They might even have something as old as a 72-76 Ranchero or Gran Torino etc, those 70's intermediate Fords. I just started collecting parts again for my 72 RS 351.

I'll call them when I have the time soon.

I got one for a 96-97, no pats.

There you go! I have the blinking light for some minutes with my 96 ecm, but it is worth it to know I don't have to deal with that crap.

Glad it is working out for you.

I drove mine to work today. It is about that time for it to be my daily driver for some months again. I really need to get the exhaust leaks fixed...

Another update, the used engine was rusty inside from sitting. Rick flushed it several times and I have also. It is getting fairly clear now and put antifreeze back in it. Thought I better put a new thermostat in it since all that crap has been going thru it. Anyway when I tried to get one of the bolts out it would only come out about one round and got very stiff, frozen in. I am afraid to force it as it seems like it will break. Being it has been loosened some it now leaks coolant so I am going to have to do something. I have this old intake off a fox body Mustang I had that I was planning on putting on my Mustang but I thought I might use in on the ST if the bolt breaks and I have to pull the intake to repair it I could put the Edelbrock intake on instead. My reason for the post is to get feed back on if this will work and if its a good idea. I also think my injectors are causing my under load miss. So I could put other injectors in while the intake is off, its a BBK throttle body in the picture.

Attachments

• 1123141954.jpg
    1123141954.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 237
  • 1123141954a.jpg
    1123141954a.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 248

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you swap injectors, dont go up or down in size, unless you want to buy an SCT tuner and have a custom tune done to modify it and delete the pats (yes, I'm tuning now :D ). I think you have the EQE2 ecu, if you do I can write to that code.
On the t stat housing, work the bolt in & out, kind of like you would for a tap, heating the intake around the bolts helps. It might take a few times hoing in and out, but it should eventually come without damage to the intake. After its out, chase the threads with a tap, and use antiseize.
Got a question for ya. Do you know of any yards around you that have a 1st gen trac tailgate in decent shape i can get? I've decided to return my front end to stock sport trac, replace the tailgate and sell my trac. It was never designed to pull 9,000 lbs on occasion and 7,000 lbs on a regular basis. I need a bigger truck. I just bought a 48ft flatbed trailer, as well as a 2000 F150 as a temporary truck until i sell the trac..

SVT

Back