• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Repair Options

BustedKnuckles24

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Ltd
I have a 2000 Explorer Limited Edition with the tow package. My transmission, the 5R55E, is showing signs of failure. It refuses to lock up the torque converter or go into overdrive. We are weighing our options, so we know we need to repair or replace it. We currently have 255,000 miles on the truck and original transmission, and the engine is running without any issues, so I feel good about fixing it. I plan to do some serious towing with it, as I also have two classic cars I'm starting to work on and need to haul them around. Only one at a time, tho. So here are my questions:

Is the stock 5R55E strong enough to frequent hauling of up to 5000 lbs? The truck has the factory tow package, including external trans cooler and the LSD rear axle.

Are there any options for strengthening the transmission? Can the 5R55E be made tougher to hold up to the stresses of towing as much as 5000 lbs?

Can a tougher transmission be swapped in that will be better than the 5R55E? What is involved as far as TCM, wiring, and mounting to the 4.0L SOHC?

If you know a shop that can do any of this, a recommendation is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.

Bump

The transmission that is on the V8 (4W70R) is the most reliable, but I am not sure is will easy fit on the V6.

Try posting this question into the stock 2nd gen forum. I feel like the transmission and transfer case section of the forum rarely get explored by most users. I have been a member since 2011 and had been using the forum without posting for at least a year more. I just noticed this part of the forums today lol

As for your question, I don't know much about fixing/upgrading the trans. I know the 4R70W is stronger, but its only for the V8. The Explorer isn't really the best dedicated tow rig. Someone will probably comment saying that they have towed tractors with their Explorer every day for 10 years, but that's not the norm. That being said, you can probably get a really good trans cooler (I guess bigger than the one you have now), make sure the rear has 4.10 gears, and get a really good rebuild on the trans, replacing everything that might be going out on it, and it will probably do fine for a while. Depends on how much you tow. Also, you may need to stiffen those rear springs.

Best of luck.

Back