Max tire size - XLT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Max tire size - XLT

Post number 25 has been selected as best answered.

I haven't had a chance to test mine. I know that the speedo and Cruise Control speeds differ. In order to set my Cruise Control at 70kmph I have to get the speedometer to show around 72. They occasionally out up portable radar units for driver information around town but I haven't seen any in a while. In t he 2011 Ltd I had, the speedo and ACC readings were the same. In Ontario the highest limit is 100 kmph (62 mph) and I regularly set mt CC at 110 (68) and police don't bother me going through radar zones.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, I am looking at some used rims and tires I found for my 14 Explorer. It is currently on factory 20s with 255/50R20s. The new set is 20x8.5 rims with +38 offset and the tires are 285/50R20s. Does anyone know if they will fit without rubbing?

Factory suspension setup...

Thanks!

I wanted a more compliant (comfy;)) ride and the ability to drive over parking lot curbs and other impediments so I dropped the rim diameter to 9X19" and went with 275-55-19's. I am not sure of the percentage of increase (math-yuck:D) but they are substantially larger when stacked side by side and the sidewall height increase has smoothed the ride tremendously. They are nowhere near rubbing and I feel that another 10mm of tire width wouldn't change that. I'm at 21K miles now with no alignment/abnormal wear/fitment issues. If you click on my name and use 'find other posts' in the dropdown box, I'm sure you'll find the thread where I loaded the side by side etc pics. Good luck, post pics when you get them:thumbsup: PeterK9 puts in a ton of time here as a moderator and active poster (Props for that Pete:thumbsup:) but he also has a 'stock is better' point of view (which has had the two of us at odds a few times:thumbdwn:)in many of the threads he's in so don't let him discourage you from making your E Sport into your vision;)

AJ, the size you went to has a variance of 2.90%. I also found the ride on the Limited I had a bit better when I put the 17" Winter wheels on in place of the 20s.
Have no issues with owners doing mods if they are legal. After all it's their vehicle. I just don't see the logic for some of them. I did a few of them myself waaay back in my younger days.:) I might even have done some to my recent vehicles if they weren't all leases. For those that own them, mod on.;):thumbsup:

Peter

Pete is kool, he is Canadian! :D

I wanted a more compliant (comfy;)) ride and the ability to drive over parking lot curbs and other impediments so I dropped the rim diameter to 9X19" and went with 275-55-19's. I am not sure of the percentage of increase (math-yuck:D) but they are substantially larger when stacked side by side and the sidewall height increase has smoothed the ride tremendously. They are nowhere near rubbing and I feel that another 10mm of tire width wouldn't change that. I'm at 21K miles now with no alignment/abnormal wear/fitment issues. If you click on my name and use 'find other posts' in the dropdown box, I'm sure you'll find the thread where I loaded the side by side etc pics. Good luck, post pics when you get them:thumbsup: PeterK9 puts in a ton of time here as a moderator and active poster (Props for that Pete:thumbsup:) but he also has a 'stock is better' point of view (which has had the two of us at odds a few times:thumbdwn:)in many of the threads he's in so don't let him discourage you from making your E Sport into your vision;)

My advice 265/50R20 or 275/45R20 but the first one is better on road . please also note that each factory mold is different than other , as some of tires molds are wider than other .
personally I use 265/50R20 and give much better look . also you can find winter tires from the same size so no need to change the rim

I run 275/45/20 on mine and ride is the same as stock. You could go larger without fear of rubbing. I didn't want to go to wide as it'll drop my gas mileage to much. I went with aftermarket rims, 20x9.5.

Kevin

Thanks for all the views. The seller still has them and let me know that the tire dealer they bought the tires from is willing to throw them on mine for free to see if they fit. I will post pics if/when it happens....

Back