Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL) | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL)

U.S. DRL's

Having had the dealer switch on the DRL's for my '11 F150, I thought it would be a piece of cake to do the same for my '15 Ex Sport. Yes, well....

As discussed here (and many other places) the DRL's for my Explorer are the amber lights on the front corners. So, I had the dealer promptly turn them off. Why, you might ask?

Not quite 40 years as an emergency responder in a large metropolis (>2 million pop.). A few trips through emergency driving courses. Convincing demonstrations of the difference in visibility in bright daylight between white, full spectrum light, and just about anything else.

So, Ford provides an 80% brightness DRL (using the headlights) on the 2011 F-150, but amber on my 2015 Ex Sport? Really? Seriously, I know some are irritated by DRL's, but the difference in visibility, between white light and amber light in daylight, is huge. On the other hand, I only have my experience to relate. Apparently, Ford knows better.

So, I am looking for a well regarded after-market kit, hopefully something that can be integrated to the grille openings.

Any suggestions out there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The non-HID equiped explorers can have either the Halogen headlight or the amber corner lights. I just had mine activated this weekend. I was invited back there and got to see the laptop options. We were almost stumped until we realized the DRL would only turn on when in drive. We backed out of the bay and they came on (15 sport).

RLCramer, have you checked out posts 76 and 87? They use LED strips for the DRL.

Peter

HID's, References

dentalpain:

I am not certain whether my headlights are HID or not, so I will be checking into that. Thank you for that info.

Peter:

Thanks. I thought I had read all the posts, and although I did read the one referencing the Philips DRL's, I missed the second reference. If dentalpain's advice doesn't pan out, one of these might be viable.

The only model that has the HID option is the Limited (standard in Canada) so if you have the Sport you won't have factory HID headlamps.

Peter

So...Back To The Dealer

Peter:

Thank you. I went through all the documentation I have, and I couldn't find a reference to HID headlights, and you confirmed it.

Fortunately, the dealer has been pretty helpful so far, but this will be the second trip for this issue, so.....they may want to cover their costs for this trip. On the other hand, they should have known about this the first time. We will see.

My Amber lights are the DRL too, but I also wired from the same circuit, a pair of LED spots installed where the stock Fog lights would be. The LED are inexpensive and simple windshield adhesive was all that was needed to hold them into the cutout.

Having had the dealer switch on the DRL's for my '11 F150, I thought it would be a piece of cake to do the same for my '15 Ex Sport. Yes, well....

As discussed here (and many other places) the DRL's for my Explorer are the amber lights on the front corners. So, I had the dealer promptly turn them off. Why, you might ask?

Not quite 40 years as an emergency responder in a large metropolis (>2 million pop.). A few trips through emergency driving courses. Convincing demonstrations of the difference in visibility in bright daylight between white, full spectrum light, and just about anything else.

So, Ford provides an 80% brightness DRL (using the headlights) on the 2011 F-150, but amber on my 2015 Ex Sport? Really? Seriously, I know some are irritated by DRL's, but the difference in visibility, between white light and amber light in daylight, is huge. On the other hand, I only have my experience to relate. Apparently, Ford knows better.

So, I am looking for a well regarded after-market kit, hopefully something that can be integrated to the grille openings.

Any suggestions out there?

DRL Circuit Wiring Using Fog Lamps

tropicvi:

I have a call into my local dealer for another service appointment to try to fix this, this time using the BCM switch set to use the headlamps. If, for some reason, this doesn't work, then I will proceed to the user-installed options.

Installing in place of the fog lamps has ups and downs. Up - extremely clean-looking result (based on the pictures in your album). Down - replaces the stock fog lamps. Fog where I live is extremely rare, so....

Thanks for the info. I will post back with the result from the dealer.

I'm curious to see if there is another locations to use either the PL's or the headlights. When I used v.90 of the IDS software, and programmed the BCM, my ONLY option was the parking lights... Headlights were not a choice, and since I have a Sport, HID's were not an issue... Would love to hear from someone who had their headlights programmed as DRL's where it is in the software...

My PL's as DRL's are very bright and noticeable...

Light Spectrum

ETicket:

The demonstration used by the emergency driving course instructors was fairly simple. One vehicle, driven by the instructor and loaded with 4 students (yes, it was very crowded in the back seat), at one end of the course. At the other end, and equipped with roof-mounted emergency lights, was the other car (Crown Vic's all around, of course).

In our vehicle, the instructor radio'd the other operator to turn on lights. Red lights, barely visible. Amber lights, a little better. Blue lights, I couldn't see at all, although others claimed they could.

Then, finally, the instructor had the other vehicle turn on the headlights. Just the headlights, dimmed. Boom, we could all now detect the vehicle, whereas prior, we were guessing about the location.

So, sure, the amber lights are bright up close. Are they bright at a distance in bright sunlight? Probably not, based on my very subjective experience.

Clearly, other manufacturers understand the factors involved, and have chosen, almost universally, to use white lights as DRL's.

Ford, on the other hand, apparently cannot provide enough information to the dealers so that owners do not have to jump through hoops to get something as simple as this addressed correctly.

Not that I am frustrated or anything.:banghead:

Regarding the headlight vs. parking light setting, I will quote from Tropicvi in this thread (sorry, I couldn't find the comment number while writing the reply):

As I posted earlier (couple of years ago) it is simply a pair of software switchs in the body control module. The dealer can do it with their computer connected. First toggle on DRL in the exterior lights control, then toggle which lights are wanted as DRL (usually park) And dealer that says it can't be done is lying or ignorant of the methodology. Further more in the USA fleet vehicles (Explorers are configured with DRL on.

RLC, mine was not to start a dissertation on the merits of Amber vs white lights... I was asking where in the software you can have the choice. In the mustang forums we use the ford software and a VCM tool to program things. I used mine on my sport to turn on the DRL's. I only had ONE option, and that was the PLs... I was hoping someone could point me to where the other option was... I was doing the programming in the BCM. I don't think it's an option on all cars to pick the HL or the PL....

Also, as an FYI, numerous vehicle manufacturers use amber as the DRL's. My C6 corvette used the amber parking lights as DRL's.

The DRL on the amber PL is NOT actually the parking light. It is the bright, turn signal strength amber, so much brighter than if it were parking lights. ie the same intensity as a turn signal or four way flasher.

ETicket:

The demonstration used by the emergency driving course instructors was fairly simple. One vehicle, driven by the instructor and loaded with 4 students (yes, it was very crowded in the back seat), at one end of the course. At the other end, and equipped with roof-mounted emergency lights, was the other car (Crown Vic's all around, of course).

In our vehicle, the instructor radio'd the other operator to turn on lights. Red lights, barely visible. Amber lights, a little better. Blue lights, I couldn't see at all, although others claimed they could.

Then, finally, the instructor had the other vehicle turn on the headlights. Just the headlights, dimmed. Boom, we could all now detect the vehicle, whereas prior, we were guessing about the location.

So, sure, the amber lights are bright up close. Are they bright at a distance in bright sunlight? Probably not, based on my very subjective experience.

Clearly, other manufacturers understand the factors involved, and have chosen, almost universally, to use white lights as DRL's.

Ford, on the other hand, apparently cannot provide enough information to the dealers so that owners do not have to jump through hoops to get something as simple as this addressed correctly.

Not that I am frustrated or anything.:banghead:

Regarding the headlight vs. parking light setting, I will quote from Tropicvi in this thread (sorry, I couldn't find the comment number while writing the reply):

In BCM under exterior lights, there are two settings, one to turn DRL on, and then a separate software switch for which light set to be turned on. The two software toggle switches have to be accessed separately. Details in a post I put on here a long time ago.

RLC, mine was not to start a dissertation on the merits of Amber vs white lights... I was asking where in the software you can have the choice. In the mustang forums we use the ford software and a VCM tool to program things. I used mine on my sport to turn on the DRL's. I only had ONE option, and that was the PLs... I was hoping someone could point me to where the other option was... I was doing the programming in the BCM. I don't think it's an option on all cars to pick the HL or the PL....

Also, as an FYI, numerous vehicle manufacturers use amber as the DRL's. My C6 corvette used the amber parking lights as DRL's.

Umm....Well, Actually, You Are Correct

ETicket:

Yes, sorry, in retrospect my post does appear a bit contentious. It wasn't meant that way. Also, you are correct, my C6 Z06 uses the amber lights as daytime running lights. On the other hand, no one seems to be able to see me anyway when driving that car, I assume because of the very low profile. Still, the experience I related is factual, and I would like to stick to white lights as DRL's as a result. Per Tropicvi, there is a choice. I like choice.

In BCM under exterior lights, there are two settings, one to turn DRL on, and then a separate software switch for which light set to be turned on. The two software toggle switches have to be accessed separately. Details in a post I put on here a long time ago.

I'm betting since mine is a 14, not an 11, that the option was taken out...
My BCM only lists the exterior lights with the Parking lights (or turn signals, you are correct, it is brighter than the PL's)... Just like Ford to drop an option, just like removing climate from the settings on the little LCD screen for 14's...

Looks Like The Option Is Still There?

ETicket:

According to dentalpain in a post above
The non-HID equiped explorers can have either the Halogen headlight or the amber corner lights. I just had mine activated this weekend. I was invited back there and got to see the laptop options. We were almost stumped until we realized the DRL would only turn on when in drive. We backed out of the bay and they came on (15 sport).

So, this would seem to apply to my situation ('15 Sport). I have an appointment next Tuesday, and they want it for all day.

In the meantime, I will be researching how to do this myself, which appears you have already accomplished. If you have any pointers, I would be grateful.

I'm betting since mine is a 14, not an 11, that the option was taken out...
My BCM only lists the exterior lights with the Parking lights (or turn signals, you are correct, it is brighter than the PL's)... Just like Ford to drop an option, just like removing climate from the settings on the little LCD screen for 14's...

ETicket:

According to dentalpain in a post above

So, this would seem to apply to my situation ('15 Sport). I have an appointment next Tuesday, and they want it for all day.

In the meantime, I will be researching how to do this myself, which appears you have already accomplished. If you have any pointers, I would be grateful.

Here is the link to where I ordered mine from. It ships with v.86 which was fine for my mustang built 5/14 but I needed v.90 for the EX (which strangely enough was also built on 5/14).. The v.90 is a free download from motorcraft services...

Link
http://www.carsets.co.uk/wholesale/ford-vcm-ii-diagnostic-tool.html

I am a member on the Mustang forums and this is what is widely used there for programming things... Strangely enough, while it "saw" my Ex, it would not see the modules to program, hence the reason I had to DL the v.90 software from Motorcraft Services http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/wds/diagnosticsites/IDS/MCS/default.asp

I know my way around the software, but I didn't have the headlight option, only the amber lights... This weekend, I am going to poke around again to see if I missed something... I'm sure the Ford techs are much more conversant with IDS than I am...

Be glad to help if I can...

Techs Familiar With Settings? Not So Much, So Far.

ETicket:

Thank you. I poked around using Google and came across several offerings for the OBD II device. As well, I stumbled across a reference to the software. I noted that it states that a license is required for each installation. Any idea what that might cost?

If not, no worries, and thanks for the help. I have my fingers crossed that you will find the setting for the choice of lamp.

Here is the link to where I ordered mine from. It ships with v.86 which was fine for my mustang built 5/14 but I needed v.90 for the EX (which strangely enough was also built on 5/14).. The v.90 is a free download from motorcraft services...

Be glad to help if I can...

ETicket:

Thank you. I poked around using Google and came across several offerings for the OBD II device. As well, I stumbled across a reference to the software. I noted that it states that a license is required for each installation. Any idea what that might cost?

If not, no worries, and thanks for the help. I have my fingers crossed that you will find the setting for the choice of lamp.

If you get it from the link I sent, you get v.86 and no license is required, I have used it many times. For the later ones downloaded from motorcraft, you can use the software for three days before having to enter a license. More than enough time to do what you need to do...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's A Lot Of Candle Power.....

If you get it from the link I sent, you get v.86 and no license is required, I have used it many times. For the later ones downloaded from motorcraft, you can use the software for three days before having to enter a license. More than enough time to do what you need to do...

Fantastic, thanks for that. Now I have something else to put on my birthday list, other than the fire permit needed for the cake candles.

I noticed that Ford updates the software monthly, with a release on 8/10, and another planned for 9/10. Is it possible that you cannot see the lamp option due to the software version? The just-released version is 92. Just a thought.

Back