• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer on 245/70R17s

Randy_270

Reaction score
City, State
Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 F150 XLT XTR
Just joined the forum and thought I would share our newest purchase. My girlfriend and I just picked up this used 2011 Ford Explorer Limited in mid July for her daily driver.
A77A8D29-E968-46EF-9F22-AEEA8A05BF35_zpsnk9thsay.jpg

It has every option that was available. The paint is a little scratched up but for where we live, I really don't mind (we drive a lot of gravel roads). My girlfriend went from a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire to this so that was a huge improvement for her. She originally wanted a Jeep Wrangler but I convinced her to get a Ford (I'm a Ford guy :D) and she fell in love with the 2011+ Explorers. Because we drive a lot of gravel roads, the factory 20" rims and car tires had needed to be replaced with heavier duty tires. Also living in Canada I wanted a tire that would be good in winter. So I bought some 17" Core Racing Diablo II rims and a set of 245/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs and had them mounted on the Explorer. On the way home, the Explorer averaged about 23-24mpg doing 68mph :D. I was happy with those numbers as my truck only gets about 17-19 doing that speed.
Here is a picture of my truck as well, just because I want to :D
photo1_zpsc4d59b76.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice looking Ex. I like how the tires really fill out the wheel wells. Are you having any rubbing issues?

Kevin

Thanks guys!

Kevin, we have no rubbing at all even backing out of the driveway.

Seeing as how you are on the Explorer forum, I would think that the 2011 Limited should receive "top billing" in the left margin, not the F-150. ;)

Peter

That is true Peter BUT the F350 is my truck and the Explorer is more of my girlfriends vehicle. It may not be on the left margin but it is still in my signature :)

That is true Peter BUT the F350 is my truck and the Explorer is more of my girlfriends vehicle. It may not be on the left margin but it is still in my signature :)

Randy, I notice on the Ex the front air dam is removed, which provides extra clearance for off road. Did you know who removed it? Are dealers doing that out your way off the lot? I know they are in Nantucket where everybody drives the beaches.

Randy, I notice on the Ex the front air dam is removed, which provides extra clearance for off road. Did you know who removed it? Are dealers doing that out your way off the lot? I know they are in Nantucket where everybody drives the beaches.

I had the dealer remove it while they installed the mud flaps and new wheels and tires. Where we drive it would get smashed off anyways so instead of having it look like crap all broke up, I just had it cut flush with the bottom of the bumper.

Any way you could get some more pictures of the front end with the air dam removed? It looks good.

Any way you could get some more pictures of the front end with the air dam removed? It looks good.

Sorry I'm on vacation so I haven't had much computer time but it looks like Peter posted a link with the front air dam cut. Ours looks exactly like the one in there.

Back