Transmission Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Question

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
We have a 2004 Explorer, 4.0L OHC, automatic trans., and an imponderable question hit me today. I have been under the impression that only 5R55S transmissions were used in 2004, all models, all engs.

Owners Manual lists Trucks and Cars separately: under truck, 5R55S is listed as VIN Code "R". Under cars, 5R55S is not listed at all: 5-speed overdrive is Code "A".

Our I.D. tag on the driver's door lists transmission code as "V"! There is NO "V" listing in the owner's manual at all!

Can anyone tell us which the hell trans. is in our Explorer, for sure? Thanks so much! imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call your local dealer and give them the VIN. They will be able to tell you right away. Dollars to doughnuts you have the 5R55S.

Thank you both! The link shows "V" code, as on our vehicle, so I assume your list is indeed for Explorers? I never understood why various divisions of the same company would NOT use identical codes for identically-equipped vehicles they build of different types.

One tip-off I got was from the fact that my Ford Shop Manual shows
5R55S as the only auto used in 2004.

Thanks again! imp

One tip-off I got was from the fact that my Ford Shop Manual shows
5R55S as the only auto used in 2004.

Thanks again! imp

If I remember right the last time I went to "www.fordpartsgiant.com and type in your VIN number to search for parts, the site will tell you what engine and transmission is in your vehicle based off of your VIN number. Don't know how accurate the site is though.

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/

Back