How to: - The Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod Thread | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: The Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod Thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Do not make it a habit of spinning the tires. See the note my original post regarding excessive spinning of the tires. While this mod wrestles control of the tcase any from the GEM, it does not redesign the internals of the case.

Ok well I wanted this mod so I could drift in the winter am I gonna do any serious damage or can I fix it so I dont do any damage[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, it is not a good idea. Fun in small amounts for sure but not something to constantly do...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We had a dusting of two inches or so this morning and when I threw the mod switch closed, and switch it to 4High, everything works perfectly fine. It is only the auto that is giving me issues. I am assuming the Explorer is thinking the rear wheels are spinning for some reason and constantly engaging/disengaging the front. At least that is what it feels like to me...

Must not be in the T case then. I would think that if the 4x4 high works then the T case must be ok...but...I could be wrong

BWM question

Can you leave your vehicle like this? I did the BWM and it runs great. But I am concerned about any possible mechanical problems that could happen. Is there anyone out there who has experienced any problems from this modification? I don't do burn outs or beat the vehicle up. I did it to take control of the control trac system. I wanted 2WD and only wanted to use the Auto/4high/4low when or if I needed it? Any body at all ever have any trouble with the BWM? Please let me know asap.

Can you leave your vehicle like this? I did the BWM and it runs great. But I am concerned about any possible mechanical problems that could happen. Is there anyone out there who has experienced any problems from this modification? I don't do burn outs or beat the vehicle up. I did it to take control of the control trac system. I wanted 2WD and only wanted to use the Auto/4high/4low when or if I needed it? Any body at all ever have any trouble with the BWM? Please let me know asap.

No issues for over a year. Wiring and switch are the same that I installed December 12th last year. No perceived ill effects

No issues for over a year. Wiring and switch are the same that I installed December 12th last year. No perceived ill effects

Thank you very much for the input. Before coming across the BWM I had to change my wheel hub (knuckle and bearing combo) and both ball joints.(upper & lower) All on the drivers side. a week after changing those parts the weather got bad and I had to use my 4high a couple of times and the auto all wheel kept kicking in. Then the thumping started in my TC. Did the BWM and the noise stopped with my switch off but still does it when I turn the switch on. Vehicle is running great with the switch off but I was paranoid that something was going to go wrong. Thanks again, and if there is anyone else out there with any further input, good or bad experience, plz let me know.

I have a 1997 Explorer XLT 4 Door that has Control Trac issues, but drives fine with the transfer case unplugged. It is stuck in 4 Wheel High when the transfer case is plugged back in. Can I use the mod on a permanent basis for normal driving and just use the 4 Wheel Drive when needed? I've read all nineteen pages of this forum, but did not see a definitive answer as to what damage might be done. Thanks.

I have a 1997 Explorer XLT 4 Door that has Control Trac issues, but drives fine with the transfer case unplugged. It is stuck in 4 Wheel High when the transfer case is plugged back in. Can I use the mod on a permanent basis for normal driving and just use the 4 Wheel Drive when needed? I've read all nineteen pages of this forum, but did not see a definitive answer as to what damage might be done. Thanks.

No damage so long as you don't spin the bageezus out of the rear tires and even then you will likely be OK.

Driving normally it will make zero difference

No damage so long as you don't spin the bageezus out of the rear tires and even then you will likely be OK.

Driving normally it will make zero difference

Thank you for the clarification. Best Regards!

Thank you for the clarification. Best Regards!

No problem. I accidentally spun the crap out of mine on ice on the lake and she's all good! Thing is vehicles Iike the new Chevy 1500 pickups and the navigators have 4x4 auto for some time while also having 2wd only mode. My THEORY is that the functionality of 2wd only mode is only not there on out explorers cause ford decided not to allow it... Not because the mechanical parts can't handle it..

THIS BEING Said I have zero proof of this...It is only a gut theory based on how the transfer cases work in these, the navigator my parents own and the fact that no one on here has reported a failure based upon doing the mod.

BWM Success

I finished the BWM this evening with no problems and it all worked well. Thanks to all who have shared. The mod coast less than six dollars and that included a 35 amp switch on closeout from Rock Auto and about 6 feet of 14 MTW Brown wire. (I wanted to keep the wiring the same color)

Question

with out reading thru 20 pages of this post maybe someone can help me this is my issue.....

I am working on a transfer case for a friend and have a bit of a problem. His transfer case that was in it got a hole in the bottom and so it needed replaced. It is a 1999 Ranger ex cab. He went to a junkyard and found a transfer case out of a 2000 model. I swapped them out and got all done and the 4wd wouldn't engage. I thought well maybe the 4wd motor on the replacement unit was bad and i was just going to swap them since his old one seemed to work fine. This sis where things went not as easy. His old transfer case had a brown wire that goes up and into the transfer case and on the new unit it doesn't have this wire. I VERY gently pulled on the wire but figured out quickly it wouldn't pull out of the old case. I got to looking on here and found several posts about a "brown wire mod" but it doesn't seem to really fit with what the issue i have going on. Can someone point me in the right direction on a possible fix so i don't have to swap out to another transfer case?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Won't work. The ranger case should have a brown wore, but is function on the ranger is entirely different than on the explorer. The cases are completely different internally and is not a suitable substitute if your expectation is that the replacement case functions normally.

Sorry.

Question?

Having an Explorer 96 V6 OHV with the 4405 t-case.

Teoretically, if one or both transfercase speed sensors are bad, you wont have power being transfered to the front at the 4WD AUTO position, because the TCC clutch coil wont detect the diferent speeds of both driveshafts, leaving you with 2wd, right ?

If i do the brown wire mod, applying directly 12 volts to the brown wire, the TCC engages , regardless the input of the both speed sensors at the t-case , giving me "4HI" ?

If i have faulty speed sensors at the t-case (and therefore not having normally 4WD or 4LOW) , but doing the brown wire mod, can i have back , at least, "4HI" (and if my shift motor works, having 4LOW) ?

All my questions are related because its damn near impossible to find here new tcase speed sensors, so i thought simply "bypassing them" to have again a working 4wd , at least on slippery surfaces.

Thanks.

I did the Brown Wire Mod last year when I had to do an engine/transmission swap and I am extremely happy I did this. I have just replaced my transfer case as there was an internal failure of some sort yet to be determined. I am afraid that the Mod had something to do with this. I had at one point disengaged the 4x4 and had forgotten to return the switch to the "stock" position. I have just the DTDP type switch hooked up. I am thinking that I would use a relay that do the job of actually switching on/off the electromagnet in the transfer case. and would return the system to "stock" when switched to the 2x4 position. I haven't started to design this yet so now to the question. Is leaving the electromagnet system engaged when in two wheel going to do any damage? Does it just keep the front axle engaged? I heard no noise nor did I feel any difference while driving that way. Just looking for anyone who has an interest.

shorted brown wire!

Hello everyone. I have a 1997 explorer 4.0 with automatic and auto 4wd. I was following the steps which are explained very well and whike doing so i accidently shorted the brown wire while snaking it to my switch location. Yes my battery was hooked up. I know i shouldn't have forgotten to disconnect it so i would appreciate all those comments to be kept to yourselves. I am in a serious bind now because tomorrow morning i have to use the truck to deliver mail In. my symptoms are as follows:

Brown wire mod did not work. Truck is in auto 4wd and the switch will not work, regardless of what i do with the newly installed brown wire switch. The brown wire has no power running to It any longer.

The 4wd lights are not coming on when i start up the truck.

My power windows have stopped.

My wiper and washer have stopped.

I have pulled every fuse inside and they are all good.
I have pulled every fuse under the hood and they also are all good. Truck cranks and runs fine, have not driven it yet down the road. Please help me.

Just posting a follow up after more than a year. The Brown Wire Mod on my 1997 is working fantastic! I very seldom use 4WD unless there is snow, so it's working great for me. Noticeable boost in gas mileage too. Thanks to all!

BWM works AWESOME

To whomever did the research on the bwm. Thank You. My 97 Explorer would stick in 4wd till I got to 30 mph then it would unlock and be fine. This of course made it hard making the steep turn out of my driveway. Now I have control of my 4wd whenever I want. Thank You:):):)

Do I have AWD?

Sheesh!! Does anyone read the write-up, or do they just look at the pictures and post?

From the sixth paragraph of the write-up (it's even in bold):

I'm going to apologize right up front if I am being dense ...

I bought an 02 4.6L Explorer a couple weeks ago ... my dash has 4WD Auto, 4WD High and 4 WD Lo ... does that mean I have AWD?

PS ... I said sorry ... try not to lambaste me on the question. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sort of.... It's been a while, so I'll be a little thin on the details....

If you simply clip the brown wire just like the 2nd gens, you are able to deactivate the 4wd. However, as you mentioned, it will cause the lights to begin flashing, and cannot be re-enabled until you turn the switch back on and restart the vehicle.

IIRC, instead of grounding the transfer case clutch coil to a chassis ground, the ground returns to the GEM (??? or equivalent on the 3rd gen). I remember discussing it with someone before, and with a resistor and a DPDT ON-ON switch, it may be possible to fool the system into thinking it's working properly even though it's not actually engaging the transfer case mechanically. Whoever it was that tried it never got around to trying the re-wiring part to make it fool the system.

I'm still looking for a guinea pig. :)

-Joe

I just tried the brown wire mod on my 2007 Ford Explorer. I can verify that the brown wire modification does result in a "wrench warning" on the console when ever the GEM applies voltage to the brown wire and encounters an open circuit. After this, it is not possible to use 4X4 until you turn off the vehicle and turn it back on again (clearing the "wrench warning" doesn't reset the GEM).

This is definitely not an optimal solution for disabling auto 4x4 because if there was any slippage that would have engaged auto 4x4 while you had your "grey/brown wire disconnected/switched off", you'll get the "wrench warning" and then to when it comes time to manually engage 4x4, you have to turn the vehicle off connect/switch on your grey/brown wire, start the vehicle, and press the 4x4 (manual) on the dash board.

I would still like the option of being able to manually tell my vehicle when I want it in 4x4, but the GEM shutdown/restart problem is kind of a show-stopper.

...So if Joe is still reading this forum. I'll be a guinea pig. I just need to see the electrical specs so that I know which wire (color or pin number) carries the return voltage to the GEM and the correct size resistor that will make the GEM think that the TCC is still connected when it isn't.

Joe? Anyone have this info?

BTW, for anyone else that wants to be a guinea pig, on my 2007 Ford Explorer with auto 4x4, the wire to the transfer case clutch is not brown, it is grey with a brown stripe, and can be found behind the glove compartment leading from the GEM to the front passenger door jam and into the wiring channel under the front passenger threshold cover.

Back