2015 Sport didn't make it off the dealer's lot without issue - do I have a lemon? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Sport didn't make it off the dealer's lot without issue - do I have a lemon?

I'd be more courious to see how the hard water spots and scratch were resolved. Door is likely just a simple switch or part to replace.

My story '15 sport, 9 miles on delivery, had an issue that day. The SRS or airbag light was on the dash during our inital test drive. A quick google (this forum) showed it was a loose connection under the driver seat (sure enough it was all the way back when we got in). They took is back to service and had it "fixed" in minutes. I am "friends" with our saleman and we have done business over the past several years. We shook hands that if this issue comes up again under warranty, we get a loaner for the day. Yea I shoulda put it in the ppwk.

Upon our first wash, clay and wax, I noticed 3 small nicks (covered with touch up) and one black pin point hole in the paint. Yea I'm a little mad but literally, you have to have a flash light and be 6 inches away to notice. So perfect no, but acceptable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man things are getting heated here.

First, have the dealer take care of the scratch/ding/whatever. I would let a small scratch slide, but if it's down to the metal, you'll want to resolve that before rust comes into play.

As for the malfunctioning lock, sure it's big shock at first. But instead of advising you to "suck it up", throw it in the gutter and go buy another, etc... I would use the analogy of me and my significant other.

When I first met my girl, I learned very quickly how to push her buttons and trigger her pet peeves. Heavens bless her for having patience with me, but I'm sure some of my quirks early in our dating relationship were enough to be deal breakers. Nevertheless, she kept giving me chances and years later... we're still together. Now she could have ended it many years back, and that would've been fine. Instead, she learned to "deal" with me, and of course, I with her (she's not perfect either, LOL). Each of us weren't perfect, but we were for each other.

Lesson? Nobody's perfect, and no thing is perfect either. On the one hand, nobody's gonna hate you for ending the purchase and seeking another brand--but fair warning, all brands have problems, so try not to keep your expectations so high. On the other hand, nobody should criticize you for asking (not demanding) extra incentives for your hardships as the worse thing a dealer can say is no.

But if you do decide to stay with the Sport, don't hold any resentment towards your purchase.

I count my lucky stars that my other half hasn't thrown me in the gutter or sold me to a scrap yard-- my warranty expired ages ago.

29 miles is not new, that's a DEMO.

Why so many miles?

Ummmm...not even close. Hell my NEW truck had 330 miles on it.

Sometimes it is from being driven from another dealer/location, sometimes it is the one the Sales manager drives home, or sometimes it is the one given to a potential customer for the night/weekend as a test drive (like it was for me).

If it has NOT been titled, and the warranty starts from the mileage purchased, it is a new vehicle, period.

Sometimes it is from being driven from another dealer/location, sometimes it is the one the Sales manager drives home, or sometimes it is the one given to a potential customer for the night/weekend as a test drive (like it was for me).

If it has NOT been titled, and the warranty starts from the mileage purchased, it is a new vehicle, period.

My used 2011 with 31k on it that I'm quite happy with despite a minor problem that the dealer took care of under warranty was new to *me* :D;)

My thought on this thread? Was just listening to Bob Marley driving home in my Ex. Don't worry, be happy :)

Quality Control in Ford stealerships is the worst I've seen. Two months back, ford ''tech'' let my truck roll out of the garage with rear brakes being metal on metal and a single lug nut torqued to spec.

My advise firefrog, you get the vehicule, fords prove to be reliable. Take that extended plan, cuz its the dealerships and the techs that are not all reliable

I wouldn't give a crap if it had not been titled.

330 miles is NOT new, I'd ask for another.

Quality Control in Ford stealerships is the worst I've seen. Two months back, ford ''tech'' let my truck roll out of the garage with rear brakes being metal on metal and a single lug nut torqued to spec.

My advise firefrog, you get the vehicule, fords prove to be reliable. Take that extended plan, cuz its the dealerships and the techs that are not all reliable

You need a new Dealer. That's BS!

I wouldn't give a crap if it had not been titled.

330 miles is NOT new, I'd ask for another.

Looked new, smelled new, no scratches, dings or dents and warrantied until the added mileage is accounted for, never been titled...it IS new.

Why do people insist that a "new" vehicle must have almost zero miles on it? What about test drives? I want to test drive the vehicle I am going to buy not some stand-in vehicle. Should they do away with test drives?

Regardless...it is just my opinion and not a large issue in the grand scheme of things.

LMAO.. you are ridiculous. Why should someone get a $1,500-$2,000 extended warranty just because a door does not lock. It's either electrical or the motor itself. Either way, simple fix.

Granted this is something the dealer should have seen during their inspection prior to the customer coming for delivery.

Sheesh.. people feel so entitled to free stuff over such minor issues.
Exactly.

You wonder why car dealers become so inflexible. It's because of crap like this.

The OP should wait a couple weeks, find any other issues, and then take it in for any other issues that might come up.

Compensation for lost use? Lemon? Oh, please...........

Lemon Laws are individual state statutes - but in Ohio, it doesn't allow you to return a vehicle for the types of minor issues described here.

Regardless...it is just my opinion and not a large issue in the grand scheme of things.
Not just yours, there are others that share that as well.:thumbsup:

Peter

Looked new, smelled new, no scratches, dings or dents and warrantied until the added mileage is accounted for, never been titled...it IS new.

Why do people insist that a "new" vehicle must have almost zero miles on it? What about test drives? I want to test drive the vehicle I am going to buy not some stand-in vehicle. Should they do away with test drives?

Vehicles with that many miles on are DEMOS and should be sold as such with applicable discounts, if your think that a vehicle with 330 miles on it is new, I'm surprised you have a DL, but dealerships must love you. LOL

Try to sell a vehicle privately with 330 Miles on it and represent it as NEW and see how that goes, or buy a vehicle with 5 miles on, put 300 miles on and then take it back to the dealer to trade it in on another and see what they say about a vehicle with 300 miles on it, being presented for a trade as in "NEW" condition.

Lmao...

There is no way I'm not going to test drive the actual vehicle I'm going to buy. Every new vehicle is going to have at least a couple miles on it. So you are saying if someone test drives a vehicle it should no longer be considered new? If that is the case then the only new vehicles are sitting at the factory.

Ok, I'll throw you one better. My 2014 XLT was a transfer in from another dealer to get a specific color and equipment. It had 719 miles on it when I picked it up. It was never titled, it's a new vehicle and the warranty is extended for 719 miles.

I don't see why that should be an issue, and it wasn't. It actually got a little price reduction thrown in.

Vehicles with that many miles on are DEMOS and should be sold as such with applicable discounts...

I never said anything about not getting a potential discount on the price, it was already 5K off of MSRP before negotiations started.

With that said, let us not confuse personal views on new vs. legal views on "new". A never titled vehicle, with warranty covering the added miles and no real wear/tear is a new vehicle legally.

Like I said, just my opinion, one you just happen to disagree with. *shrug*

So, conclusion?

Vehicles with that many miles on are DEMOS and should be sold as such with applicable discounts, if your think that a vehicle with 330 miles on it is new, I'm surprised you have a DL, but dealerships must love you. LOL

Try to sell a vehicle privately with 330 Miles on it and represent it as NEW and see how that goes, or buy a vehicle with 5 miles on, put 300 miles on and then take it back to the dealer to trade it in on another and see what they say about a vehicle with 300 miles on it, being presented for a trade as in "NEW" condition.

Lmao...

:bsnicker::bsnicker::bsnicker:Now I am lmao..........

What part of "if it has never been titled, it is legally considered new" do you not understand??? Ground Pilot has tried to educate you, but you choose not to get it. :hammer::hammer::hammer:The scenarios you try to prove your point with above, WERE TITLED VEHICLES and therefore would not be considered new as a result. Get your facts straight and your head out of the sand. It may be your personal opinion as to what you consider a "new" vehicle, but you are sadly mistaken my friend. :wavey::wavey:

:bsnicker::bsnicker::bsnicker:Now I am lmao..........

What part of "if it has never been titled, it is legally considered new" do you not understand??? Ground Pilot has tried to educate you, but you choose not to get it. :hammer::hammer::hammer:The scenarios you try to prove your point with above, WERE TITLED VEHICLES and therefore would not be considered new as a result. Get your facts straight and your head out of the sand. It may be your personal opinion as to what you consider a "new" vehicle, but you are sadly mistaken my friend. :wavey::wavey:

Well aware that a vehicle is not Legally considered new until titled, which is just automotive legalese, I'm just saying is a vehicle with over 300 miles is not new. No different than a washing machine that did 5 loads of laundry is n longer NEW.

I would not buy a vehicle with that many miles as a NEW vehicle, I would considered it used and would not enteration a purchase, unless it was being retailed as a "Demo", which it is, with that many miles on it.

Well aware that a vehicle is not Legally considered new until titled, which is just automotive legalese, I'm just saying is a vehicle with over 300 miles is not new. No different than a washing machine that did 5 loads of laundry is n longer NEW.

I would not buy a vehicle with that many miles as a NEW vehicle, I would considered it used and would not enteration a purchase, unless it was being retailed as a "Demo", which it is, with that many miles on it.

Just because your ass isn't the first in the seat doesn't mean its now a "used" or "not new" car. Nobody's licked the steering wheel, or had their infant crap in the back, or a sick cat pee all over it. Its still a new vehicle. This belief that no one should so much as look at a car without it becoming tainted is utterly ridiculous. Are you as discriminate when buying / renting a home? "GASP! Honey! A realtor and inspector was here before us. This house isn't new! The only people I want breathing in my house before me are the dirty sweaty contractors building it" Honestly that's how silly you sound.

The only exception I will grant is if you agree to a condition with your dealer, and they try and provide something else. If they promise that your vehicle will come off the truck and you show up for delivery and it has 400 miles because the manager took it home and to the track for the night, you have reason to be upset, but not because the car has a few miles on it, but because you were deceived.

Could we please stop with this particular issue. There is only one member here that doesn't consider it as being 'New'. He is entitled to that opinion. He won't change his mind and neither will the rest of us so let's put it to bed. Thanks.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are NOT overreacting. I've owned a LOT of cars with and without problems. If you're experiencing something wrong with a particular car during a test drive (depending on the problem obviously) then I would be exceptionally critical and trust your gut. You may never have a problem during years of blissful ownership. Or you might. Bottom line is that if you've already got a bad taste in your mouth, pass it up. Having said all this, I am totally IN LOVE with my '15 Sport. And I meticulously tested everything I could possible think of at least two or three times and it didn't skip a beat. I also know the opposite can be true, and a perfectly good new vehicle sitting on a dealer lot can turn sour super-quick during it's maiden voyage home (cough cough...ahem...Jaguar XF...cough cough). But it's good to be cautious and patient. I've learned the hard way (and many might disagree with me) that if you're seeing problems with a particular car during a few minutes with it, just think of all the problems you'll have after a week...a month...a year. I'd pass. Who cares what other people think? They're not the ones forking over your $50K.

As far as an extended warranty goes. Mixed bag in my opinion. They're great if a vehicle needs a few "unexpected" repairs now and again. However, who cares how long a warranty is if a technician (or Ford Motor Co for that matter) can't fix the problem and the car is constantly in the shop?

Tony

Back