HID Install +Pics - Step by Step | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

Peter
Very well written, thank you!

There's an older Ford F150 in my neighborhood, reflector style housings with a 6K HID bulb kit installed. The truck is immaculate.
He always seems to be driving around when I'm testing or aiming a new retrofit. I think he's trying to learn (he's 60 years old), I really do.
So he stops to check out the latest Xplorer I completed on Sunday. I was aiming and photographing when he asks, and I can't make this up,

"How come there's no light above that blue line on the wall"

and I replied "Have you heard the story of the frog and the scorpion"

Human Nature is filled with Sexual Intellects.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Thankfully America doesn't have such draconian enforcement over minor modifications that make driving and visibility much safer +1 USA :usa:"
The California Vehicle Code states it is illegal for anyone to replace the lighting equipment of a car. This means that non-factory installed HID lamps are illegal under California law. However, if your car came with manufacturer-installed HID lights, they are legal.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/facts_7554731_california-law-hids.html

From another U.S. site; http://orca.st.usm.edu/~jmneal/tiburon/hids.htm
Are HID's legal?
Installing HID's into a vehicle not originally equipped with them from the factory is technically illegal. Practically speaking, you stand little chance of being cited for them provided you educate yourself on the requirements of HID lighting and take the necessary steps to ensure you have the right equipment and adjustments to keep it safe. That is, make sure your vehicle's headlight assembly uses an appropriately designed projector lense (as opposed to a reflector), and of course that your headlights are properly aligned after installation. Many newer vehicles use projector lenses because stock halogen bulbs also benefit from the "light shaping", but having just any old projector lense does not necessarily ensure that the beam pattern will be correct. It is absolutely essential for HID's to give the light output a sharp cutoff line to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. As HID's become more popular, aftermarket projector housings are being produced for some vehicles.
UPDATE 01/29/04: I received the following email from Richard <last name omitted> of the NHTSA:
SUBJECT: Why don't you tell the truth about the 'HID ban'
No HID retrofit kit can be legally sold. It is that simple.

From; http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Some "HID kit" marketeers will try to tell you that the kits are technically illegal only because the US headlamp laws are stuck in the past. That's wrong; the world's experts and regulators all say the same thing: Don't!

Peter

Normally I would not get involved with a back and forth on a forum, but I can't let this go....
Please don't confuse the communist state of California with the USA. California is not representitive of the the rest of the states.

It isn't just California.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is impounding illegal imports of noncompliant high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits, light sources and ballasts. The CBP is working with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to pursue enforcement. As reported by SEMA for a number of years, the NHTSA has determined that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The NHTSA is specifically concerned that HID conversion kits can produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists.

In recent months, CBP has identified hundreds of shipments for examination at various ports of entry across the United States. Since late 2009, CBP has seized more than 400,000 HID conversion kits and components valued at $5 million. Many of the shipments arrived via air cargo or express mail. CBP officers seize shipments when they determine that the equipment fails to meet NHTSA requirements that headlamp replaceable light sources be marked with the light source type, the light source manufacturer's name or trademark, and the DOT symbol indicating certification of compliance with governing regulations. The products may also be seized by CBP based on NHTSA’s conclusion that the equipment will not comply with FMVSS No. 108 since it will be installed in headlamps that were not designed for its use.

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/41/customs-seizing-imports-of-illegal-hid-conversion-kits

Peter

Kensun conversion kit is # 1 HID Seller in Amazon, I was deceived by the cheap customers feedback saying it's great and once I tried it , it's crap comparing to HID of my old car (Altima 3.0 LE 2009) , I thought buying a exp sport is an upgrade in luxury but I was wrong .long story short I lost about 400 $ on cheap kits before I buy a retrofit kit .

Normally I would not get involved with a back and forth on a forum, but I can't let this go....
Please don't confuse the communist state of California with the USA. California is not representitive of the the rest of the states.

This - each state can pass their own laws. And judging by the last time I was in LA (November last year), there were a number of vehicles driving around with purple HIDs and reflector housings. Those guys weren't getting pulled over, and their kits were offensive. A tastefully done kit in a projector housing that outputs light in a nearly identical pattern to a stock kit is going to receive zero harassment, even crossing the border into the Hegemony of California or the Frozen North.

Tony - your HID full conversion looks awesome, even better than the Limited HIDs. If the stock halogens deserve a 2/10 rating, the Limited HIDs a 7/10, the drop in HIDs a 7/10, and your full conversion should get a 9/10. Some of us just can't justify the additional cost for diminishing returns.

Tony - your HID full conversion looks awesome, even better than the Limited HIDs. If the stock halogens deserve a 2/10 rating, the Limited HIDs a 7/10, the drop in HIDs a 7/10, and your full conversion should get a 9/10. Some of us just can't justify the additional cost for diminishing returns.

True, True
The "Bulb only" HID is a -5

I'm doing a clear lenses only upgrade, and a bulb upgrade on a 2013 F150 with Factory HID's and D3S (cousins husband) this weekend.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/lenses/zkw-r-clear-lenses.html
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/bulbs/d3s-osram-xenarc-66340-cbi-49197.html

If I can seat the lenses correctly this may be the upgrade that helps all the Fords with Factory HIDs (Xplorer, F150, etc)

True, True
The "Bulb only" HID is a -5

I'm doing a clear lenses only upgrade, and a bulb upgrade on a 2013 F150 with Factory HID's and D3S (cousins husband) this weekend.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/lenses/zkw-r-clear-lenses.html
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/bulbs/d3s-osram-xenarc-66340-cbi-49197.html

If I can seat the lenses correctly this may be the upgrade that helps all the Fords with Factory HIDs (Xplorer, F150, etc)

but if you are opening the headlights changing the projecter is better , because D3S is too expensive and rare instead of spending additional 100 $ on bulb spend 150 on the projector and get many more options . just a thought but it's great to change the lens

i bought the DDM tuning 35w 5000k without any harness. Plugged it in and nothing.. going to return the DDM tuning and try coolbulbs.com or something else

The big difference is that the German cars have the proper interior reflectors that were designed for HID bulbs which produce light differently than Halogen.
No one is arguing that the kits don't improve the amount of light. The fact is that they don't do it properly.

Peter

It's not that big of a deal Peter. It's true there is a difference in a dedicated xenon lens but the difference in a modern halogen projector and a dedicated xenon projector is about an 8-13% difference in lighting focus and spread. The lumen output is identical so for most users the experience is the same. The important difference is in the quality of the bulb, a high end bulb like ours puts the burner within hundredths of a mm of the halogens sweet spot so the housing performs as designed. When you increase the light source by 300% in a modern well designed housing you are going to get a much better light. I have personally installed dozens of these in explorers and the improvement was astounding!!! Your theory isn't wrong it's just that in practice a great HID kit in a great lens works awesome.

Please provide your statistical data to substantiate (inaccurate) claims.
The difference, according to the TUV is 49%
The lumen output, due to poor focus, is down 35% according to the TUV.
The important difference isn't the bulb, it's the projector (bulb holder).
The halogen sweet spot can't be measured because it's designed for a halogen bulb, but 5/16"-1/2" is more like it, "hundredths of a mm" BS
I'm sure you've installed dozens of these in Explorers (there's the tell, you're a "vendor") You should have stated you've sold dozens of these.

We aren't talking theories, you data is BS, you claims are BS, which HID bulb vendor are you?

i bought the DDM tuning 35w 5000k without any harness. Plugged it in and nothing.. going to return the DDM tuning and try coolbulbs.com or something else

The DDM kit needs to have the headlight plug reversed for it to work if it was like mine.

Though I did not like the scatter trying to put in a HID in mine. The light pattern was not as precise as I would have liked since I come from dedicated HID projectors.

I switch back to Halogen and took Peter's advice of the Phillips Xtreme bulbs. Those things rock honestly and are darn near HIDs IMHO.

I was going to do a retrofit on my sport but it is a lease and honestly I will probably swap for the 16 when they shoudl have LED or HID as standard equipment on the Sport...

We aren't talking theories, you data is BS, you claims are BS, which HID bulb vendor are you?

look up at the post above the one you quote and you will see the following:

Hey guys its Andrew from coolbulbs

Damn... So... Did I buy my HID kits for no reason? Sounds like some people are actually unhappy about their kits.

To support a post above, yes, California is full of corrupt and fascist leaders. That is why their average household income is some poop because everyone thinks California is a great place when it really isn't. The rich celebrities just make a few thousand of the millions of people in California. States should be more like Maryland. Home to one of the most richest cities in the U.S. and with a majority of the population doing really well. Although we have speed cameras and red light cameras, they are placed around schools though so that is understandable. I didn't read anywhere in Maryland law that says it bans HIDs. The color just has to be white or amber on the vehicle. Unless if I missed something. I also cannot find a federal law stating that it bans any sort of vehicle modification in terms of lighting. Although you cannot install blue and red lights of course and it is illegal to pose as a federal agent/ officer.

Damn... So... Did I buy my HID kits for no reason? Sounds like some people are actually unhappy about their kits.

To support a post above, yes, California is full of corrupt and fascist leaders. That is why their average household income is some poop because everyone thinks California is a great place when it really isn't. The rich celebrities just make a few thousand of the millions of people in California. States should be more like Maryland. Home to one of the most richest cities in the U.S. and with a majority of the population doing really well. Although we have speed cameras and red light cameras, they are placed around schools though so that is understandable. I didn't read anywhere in Maryland law that says it bans HIDs. The color just has to be white or amber on the vehicle. Unless if I missed something. I also cannot find a federal law stating that it bans any sort of vehicle modification in terms of lighting. Although you cannot install blue and red lights of course and it is illegal to pose as a federal agent/ officer.

You might be happy with your HIDs. I was not with mine and have the Phillips xtreme bulbs which are just like HIDs without the scatter IMHO...

HIDs are not technically allowed on cars in the US unless they come from the factory. If I remember tomorrow I will look up the code but it is as such. That said it is not enforced unless they are looking to rape you in tickets and have you pulled for something else.

Also you are wrong about blue and red lights. You can have them on most vehicles in some states so long as they are not flashing to imitate a police officer. For instance it is legal in PA for me to have the blue and red LED lighting on my motorcycle so long as they do not flash or strobe.

You might be happy with your HIDs. I was not with mine and have the Phillips xtreme bulbs which are just like HIDs without the scatter IMHO...

HIDs are not technically allowed on cars in the US unless they come from the factory. If I remember tomorrow I will look up the code but it is as such. That said it is not enforced unless they are looking to rape you in tickets and have you pulled for something else.

Also you are wrong about blue and red lights. You can have them on most vehicles in some states so long as they are not flashing to imitate a police officer. For instance it is legal in PA for me to have the blue and red LED lighting on my motorcycle so long as they do not flash or strobe.

I wonder why they would make HIDs illegal if it is properly equipped into the vehicle. For example, putting an HID in a non-HID housing or a housing that does not comply with like a certain beam pattern should of course be illegal. However, our Explorers have a projector that flips a thing to cut off the beam pattern. These laws are so restrictive and it does not make any sense. They shouldn't ban ALL HIDs. They should just enforce the fact that if it is not properly installed, then the person who installed the kit should get penalized. Not the manufacturers. Legally speaking, this is what I found from the SEMA site:

http://www.sema.org/files/attachmen...mctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=228349909

However, a legal document I found here based on Federal Standards does not say that HIDs are illegal directly (Or I couldn't find it because this thing is long as heck):

They stated that: "NHTSA has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a
halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal
Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. "
Link below:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-sec571-108.pdf

Here is where I got it from. The NHTSA:
Press control F and do a search for words like high intensity, HID, etc. I can't find any of those key words.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/#SN108

Technically, if I install it and it complies with light patterns and what not, I think I can argue that it is a legal install. (At least in Maryland anyway). So many people in Maryland have HID kits, and I see cops pass them left and right. Maybe the Montgomery County cops are very reasonable? Idk. The Halogen projector in our cars have a cut off point that easily allows us to have whatever light source we have be controlled with a flip of a switch. If I control the light pattern to comply with regulations, I don't see why it can't be legal, unless if I am dead wrong about it. Don't take my word for it. I can understand they find the kits illegal, but it's dumb that they are facing the manufacturers for this. If it is like that, why don't we blame the gun manufacturers for selling guns to people?

You can not argue as the only legal units are those that are OEM. They have all been tested to conform to the standards. And the halogen projector in our Explorers is not the same as a HID projector so anything you throw in there would immediately be illegal by the letter of the law.

Even retrofitting in HID projectors is illegal. Now you COULD swap headlight fixture with a limited with HIDs as they are OEM and tested.

So... I plan to dial back my HID's power by opening the ballasts and turning the variable resistor (potentiometer) down so my 55W kit will become like a 30W - 40W kit. I think that'll be better for the life of the ballasts and the bulb. All 35W and 55W kits can be adjusted because the ballasts are all the same hardware, it just has a different variable resistor setting.

I remember I took advice from someone to install Philips extreme vision halogen bulbs , it wasn't close to HID it was great as a yellow halogen light though , may be the crystal vision is closer to HID than Extreme vision , it was for my H11 Fog , any way I decided to buy LED instead , from Morimoto , a closed housing .

The owner of the 2012 Ford Explorer Limited and I, spent two days heating the headlight housings apart, cleaning, and reassembling. 4 hands are definitely better than 2, especially with the heat gun.

I did the engineering, follow these basics directions and you can't miss.
Why does Ford use Permaseal, it's the worst!!
Alignment and Test drive took an hour, no opposing traffic flashing

The Morimoto EVOX-R projectors with clear lenses and Osram 66240 CBI's absolutely destroys stock Ford HID Hellas with D3S bulbs, better foreground, no low beam hotspots, razor sharp cutoff.:chug:
Those of you just swapping bulbs into Halogen projectors :banghead::censored:

I finally got round to doing the full conversion over the weekend. WOW! The difference is amazing. I've had factory HIDs, factory halogens, upgraded halogen bulbs, and aftermarket HID bulbs in halogen projectors, and nothing compares to the EVOX-Rs. It is a project but if you're half way handy (and patient) spend a little extra money and do the job properly - you won't regret it. Here's a shopping list:

Hella EVOX-R - $150
Any D2S bulb - $45-$190
D2S ballast - $110
Relay harness - $30
Butyl - $15

I already had a ballast with AMP connections from an aftermarket HID 'kit' so I just needed a connector to work with the D2S bulbs.

If you already have a HID kit, do the conversion like I did for ~$300. If you still have halogens and are considering HIDs, do a proper upgrade for ~$400. You really won't regret it.

Big thanks to tonystewart for the step by step guide. The biggest pain by far is baking the headlights open. The first one took me an entire day (8am to 4pm) but the other side only took a few hours. My oven doesn't have a top burner so I baked the lights at 250F and checked them every 5 minutes. As the permaseal softened I used some flat blade screwdrivers to pry the two halves apart a little at a time. Bake, pry, repeat. Second light opened after about 40 minutes of total baking time. The rest of the time went on cleaning up the old permaseal from the two halves (more baking needed).

I'll try and post some before and after photos of the output when I get time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations!!!!!

Cleaning Permaseal is the worst!

Back