My 2105 Explorer Sport Special Order Has Arrived | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2105 Explorer Sport Special Order Has Arrived

Sachem64, I hope they do figure it out at your dealer. It is troubling that dealers don't know enough about the accessories they have to sell and install and especially this one since I think it would appeal to a lot of buyers. Waiting to see your pics after its cleaned up from the train ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well they said it was all working great s of 4pm so I hope it wasn't a hack job.

BTW is your ODB II still visible & available without having to disconnect anything?
Just wondering if they replicate the port after tapping into it. I hope you know what I mean. I'm hoping mine is free to use for a Bluetooth performance monitor that allows my iPad or android tablets to gage a variety of things.

Thanks again for info sharing - its what makes this forum great.
Cheers,
S64

Well they said it was all working great s of 4pm so I hope it wasn't a hack job.

BTW is your ODB II still visible & available without having to disconnect anything?
Just wondering if they replicate the port after tapping into it. I hope you know what I mean. I'm hoping mine is free to use for a Bluetooth performance monitor that allows my iPad or android tablets to gage a variety of things.

Thanks again for info sharing - its what makes this forum great.
Cheers,
S64

Sachen64, Yes your ODBII is available same as stock. There is a Y cable. The factory connector is removed from under the dash and mated to the Y cable and the other end of that cable is mounted in its place. If you look after installation you have no indication any modification was made.

Let me know how your Music test turns out. :D

Willy since 8/31 is a Sunday I hope they're a couple days early for you.
I'm watching Ford Orientation videos right now from bed - learning all the features or at least figuring out what to ask more about in the am. The kid and amateur musician in me also wants to make a music stick that will push the audio through it's paces without having to be polite and play it low. Maximizing the fun of it all.
Cheers!

So is there la link for the orientation videos or is it a disk with the Explorer????

Willy,
Ask your sales person. Mine sent me a PDF of his punch list of what to go over (same list you signoff to say he did his orientation/runthrough). The PDF (you'll see a red xsport in upper right corner) has little icons for bullet listed topics that have a corresponding video on youtube. Since it's vehicle specific (mostly) it's easier than fishing through Youtube.
Good luck.

p.s. so busy since taking delivery Saturday afternoon I'll have to take pics & post them later today.
Cheers.
S64

Also sorry to be short (work pressures) but my remote alarm installation went just as I would hope - they HAD discovered the new instructions and the tie in was made on the drivers side and yes, ODBII port available (for my BT dongle & Android tablet app). These guys were great and talked to me as an engineer. Apparently the instructions they 1st got and did not pursue would have had them tying into the back of the central console (they showed the diagrams). Anyway they were ontop of their game and I am happy.

Will share in the right threads later but one quirk about the remote app that I discovered & will share now:
It's a nuisance on my Android 4.2.2 phone - the app not timing out trying WiFi when the wifi connectivity in general is pending acknowledgement to connect (think at hotel, or Ford dealership, or similar hot-spot where you HAVE TO ok through the browser that you want to connect to their free wifi). The app tries WiFi 1st, which is good to save on data charges, but if it can't get through to a WiFi connection the app complains about comm. error rather than moving onto cell/4G connectivity. Manually switching off the phone's wifi seems to let the app know to use the call/4g on it's end to connect to the related server that does all the authentication & handshaking. Anyway that's the only snafu I've found and I could see such scenarios coming up when roving about in a new location or anywhere that requires you to web browser click through the connection to establish that related WiFi router.

Also sorry to be short (work pressures) but my remote alarm installation went just as I would hope - they HAD discovered the new instructions and the tie in was made on the drivers side and yes, ODBII port available (for my BT dongle & Android tablet app). These guys were great and talked to me as an engineer. Apparently the instructions they 1st got and did not pursue would have had them tying into the back of the central console (they showed the diagrams). Anyway they were ontop of their game and I am happy.

Will share in the right threads later but one quirk about the remote app that I discovered & will share now:
It's a nuisance on my Android 4.2.2 phone - the app not timing out trying WiFi when the wifi connectivity in general is pending acknowledgement to connect (think at hotel, or Ford dealership, or similar hot-spot where you HAVE TO ok through the browser that you want to connect to their free wifi). The app tries WiFi 1st, which is good to save on data charges, but if it can't get through to a WiFi connection the app complains about comm. error rather than moving onto cell/4G connectivity. Manually switching off the phone's wifi seems to let the app know to use the call/4g on it's end to connect to the related server that does all the authentication & handshaking. Anyway that's the only snafu I've found and I could see such scenarios coming up when roving about in a new location or anywhere that requires you to web browser click through the connection to establish that related WiFi router.

Good info. I'll have to see if it reacts the same on the iPhone or is specific to the Android app.

I have an Android 4.2.2 phone and have not noticed it yet. My wifi is on all the time and it will bug me about a wifi signal and I have to tell the phone to forget it to stop asking me about connecting. Will have to experiment with this to see if I get same issue

Im waiting for mine too..!!

I Get an update from crystal..

Aug 31 at first now its sept 5...

My dealer said its in manitoba he said it will come this friday on the 25..

Oh well whichever come first.. As long as i can give my explorer a hug.. LoL..

Im waiting for mine too..!!

I Get an update from crystal..

Aug 31 at first now its sept 5...

My dealer said its in manitoba he said it will come this friday on the 25..

Oh well whichever come first.. As long as i can give my explorer a hug.. LoL..

Congrats USAinBolt on your new sport. Looks like its almost there. Once its on the railcar it moves fast plus yours is in Canada now. Its been a week since I got mine and my garage has that wonderful smell of a new car plus the interior leather has that new smell. Cant get enough of that smell plus driving it is awesome!

That smell is intoxicating (and the acceleration pretty impressive for all that weight)
:)

So far:
* Not HID but much better than my old trade in for night driving. Happy with that for now.
* Need time to bone up on many things - adaptive cruise control and for that matter cruise control itself not intuitive for me to get it working the few times I tried (that sounds ridiculous but I've not had enough time to figure it out). I certainly intend to use it often but I'm also a do your homework 1st (RTFM!!!) kind of engineer...as a consumer I'll give it a quick try 1st and THEN if things don't work will retreat to reading the manual.
* Ford mytouch so far workable but I always find shortcomings on embedded systems user interfaces (other than ones I design of course ;-) and this has a few deficiencies or things I've not figured out....I mean even just trying to radio-button lock in station presets for Sirius or FM.
* Don't know (yet) if there's any way to see/use Sirius Travel-Link traffic info onto navigation use - that would be wonderful or at least what google navigation offers. If it cant do that then Travel-link is closer to useless.
* Trivial but my old man's Fusion can play DVDs when parked - I get disc error and see no hint of that capability (still have to RTFM on all these things).
* Haven't tried paddle shifting yet or 4WD modes
* This sucker takes off like a bullet from a rolling start. Turbo lag is ~1 second at most (closer to zero when already at speed).
* Don't like the turn signals latching on at the slightest actuation when lane changing (I'm getting use to turn on then intentionally turning off and then checking to make sure not stuck then in the other).
* Just paid for the remote access subscription (my 3 days of free were up as of this am)

More later

That smell is intoxicating (and the acceleration pretty impressive for all that weight)
:)

So far:
* Not HID but much better than my old trade in for night driving. Happy with that for now.
* Need time to bone up on many things - adaptive cruise control and for that matter cruise control itself not intuitive for me to get it working the few times I tried (that sounds ridiculous but I've not had enough time to figure it out). I certainly intend to use it often but I'm also a do your homework 1st (RTFM!!!) kind of engineer...as a consumer I'll give it a quick try 1st and THEN if things don't work will retreat to reading the manual.
* Ford mytouch so far workable but I always find shortcomings on embedded systems user interfaces (other than ones I design of course ;-) and this has a few deficiencies or things I've not figured out....I mean even just trying to radio-button lock in station presets for Sirius or FM.
* Don't know (yet) if there's any way to see/use Sirius Travel-Link traffic info onto navigation use - that would be wonderful or at least what google navigation offers. If it cant do that then Travel-link is closer to useless.
* Trivial but my old man's Fusion can play DVDs when parked - I get disc error and see no hint of that capability (still have to RTFM on all these things).
* Haven't tried paddle shifting yet or 4WD modes
* This sucker takes off like a bullet from a rolling start. Turbo lag is ~1 second at most (closer to zero when already at speed).
* Don't like the turn signals latching on at the slightest actuation when lane changing (I'm getting use to turn on then intentionally turning off and then checking to make sure not stuck then in the other).
* Just paid for the remote access subscription (my 3 days of free were up as of this am)

More later

FYI, If your read the Sirius info you will note that the Traffic and Travel link is free for 5 years for 2015 explorers. Just have to buy the music after 6 months. I have an old lifetime subscription from 2006 that has 5 transfers and I will use transfer number 3 on this explorer. They only do lifetime for as long you own the vehicle now.

Also you have to read the manual for some things. Too much electronics on this thing to figure out without manual. I am a civil engineer with 28 years experience an electronics guru and its still a learning experience for me with this explorer.

The turn signal takes some getting use to using having no hard set in the handle. I had previous experience on a 2103 F150 and found you get used to it after a while.

Big difference in this explorer and what I learned to drive in!

"FYI, If your read the Sirius info you will note that the Traffic and Travel link is free for 5 years for 2015 explorers"

WOW - that's a super tip - thanks.
I have a lifetimed Sirius Stiletto2 I use at home and a month to month paid for subscription I use to use in my Taurus that I'll retire or switch to the Sport.
While I'll take the travel link for 5 years I'm still questioning it's usefulness if not well integrated with FMyT navigation.

Yea, this is worlds different from my 1st car too (and 2nd & 3rd - all 69 Mustangs) except in three ways - this has mediocre rear quarter & backing up visibility (discounting the rear view camera that I now appreciate though it doesn't help lane changing in traffic that's starting to jam up before the exit. The other ways its similar it it looks damned sharp (gets compliments) and it's very fast.
So funny - I forgot what torque-steer felt like until these turbos reminded me ;-)

Great that we can share notes here!
(high fives)
S64

Congrats USAinBolt on your new sport. Looks like its almost there. Once its on the railcar it moves fast plus yours is in Canada now. Its been a week since I got mine and my garage has that wonderful smell of a new car plus the interior leather has that new smell. Cant get enough of that smell plus driving it is awesome!

Well its finally there.. Will pick it up today..

Just gonna transfer my plate from the old one and set up the insurance...
And registration...

Thanks for crystal for always updating me everyweek..

Follow up on my "* Don't know (yet) if there's any way to see/use Sirius Travel-Link traffic info onto navigation use - that would be wonderful or at least what google navigation offers. If it cant do that then Travel-link is closer to useless."

The same articles that mention the 2015 is a 5 year subscription with Naviation on 2015's also says maps ARE updated with travel link info & road construction. Having only had the vehicle for a little less than 6 full days I've used nav only twice and while still being overwhelmed with details to learn so tonight I'll take a closer look - perhaps there's a setup option to turn tthat detail on. Also ready for 1st gas tank fill since the dealer gave me a topped off full tank. Not bad in that it made it the 6 days my ole Taurus did (though admittedly that was a 15 gal tank).

Congrats to UsianBolt on getting his!

It's very difficult to stay off that throttle and soft pedal this smooth rider ;-)
TGIF.....Cheers,
S64

Follow up on my "* Don't know (yet) if there's any way to see/use Sirius Travel-Link traffic info onto navigation use - that would be wonderful or at least what google navigation offers. If it cant do that then Travel-link is closer to useless."

The same articles that mention the 2015 is a 5 year subscription with Naviation on 2015's also says maps ARE updated with travel link info & road construction. Having only had the vehicle for a little less than 6 full days I've used nav only twice and while still being overwhelmed with details to learn so tonight I'll take a closer look - perhaps there's a setup option to turn tthat detail on. Also ready for 1st gas tank fill since the dealer gave me a topped off full tank. Not bad in that it made it the 6 days my ole Taurus did (though admittedly that was a 15 gal tank).

Congrats to UsianBolt on getting his!

It's very difficult to stay off that throttle and soft pedal this smooth rider ;-)
TGIF.....Cheers,
S64

Well that pedal is tempting.. I do hit that a couple of times but never hit 80mph yet.. Or 100km/hr.. Im trying not to force the engine yet for its break in period..

When it hits 1000 km on odometer.. When the piston properly sets in.. Then i will step on it.. Haha!! I hope i never got a ticket.. LoL..

You got it, UsainBolt! Congrats on the new rig. :D

Crystal

Thanks crystal.. One more question.. I didn't get my 2nd key.. They said the train man said its on the vehicle and its not there.. Or maybe the factory give only one.. I just wanna know.. When will i get it back or my dealer will get me a new one..

Back