Part Identification

docksider

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT Pushrod
Hello All

Nothing but good things to say about this forum.
I have a 92 explorer (pushrod I believe) and chasing a possible vacuum leak - there's a black oblong cylinder left of the coil pack - please tell me the name of this part, how it could affect emissions test, and where the vacuum line behind the air filter box is routed to.

Can't thank you enough -- :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your talking about that capsule shaped thing that sits atop the HVAC box

I don't know the part number. But its function is a vacuum reservoir it stores vacuum inside it for the blend door for your A/C. It should be "T" off the vacuum line the one drops down behind your air filter box. That vacuum line goes into a harness that goes into the truck provides vacuum for the blend door.

Thanks Vq - Having trouble passing emissions for the past few years - high nox
- replaced cat, 02s, tps, fpr, coolant temp sensor, plugs and wires
Getting code 173 and intermittent exhaust fumes -- trying to replace all the vacuum lines. :salute:

I'ved used this stuff lots of times before getting my smog test. I've always pass would it have passed without using it maybe..

crc-05063-400.jpg

Thanks Vq - I tried "GTP" last year; probably didn't use it correct (probably anxieties of trying to pass) -- I'll try removing the hose from the exhaust to

Oops

Thanks Vq - I'll try removing the hose to the thermostatic duma-flitch and clean the maf --

Have an enjoyable Labor Day!!!! :salute:

Thanks GM - sorry it took so long (job huntin too) -- My scanner's not pulling any codes that's why I'm leaning toward a vacuum issue -- Just something that's been hanging over my head for the past three years (guess by now I coulda paid a shop to fix it huh?) -- I'll work with it more this weekend. :salute:

Don't forget to pull the negative battery cable for 5-10 minutes to reset the ECM.

All the other parts you've changed will have little effect until the ECM re-learns the settings from those sensors.

Dont worry about it docksider . take your time & try things , ask us for all the help you need . we are here to help each other . If between us we can get you fixed up & not have to give your money to the shop then we have done good . Remember the only dumb question is one not asked . if I get over to my buddies house I will pick his brain about your troubles & get his input . Dont give up , adapt & overcome !!! :salute:

"Preciate the support -- I've pulled codes ran the code scanner and KOEO/KOER all 111s but what gets my attention is; most times the scanner detects only 4 cylinders (sometimes it shows 6) -- I do disconnect the neg cable and clear codes from the ecm -- didn't remove the hose from the cold intake but replaced the IAT (I've had the truck since 95 and this is the first time I've replaced any of these parts) -- think I'm chasing a a loose connection or broken wire somewhere? :salute:

what catches me is it seems like you could be loosing 2 cylinders . Maybe two of them are just hit & miss . when you read 4 does the idle change any ??? if 2 of your cylinders are not firing properly it could be causing you to fail !! Just a path to try . But it very well could be a loose wire . Just wish I could help more .
:thumbsup:

You did good Man -- I appreciate it - Idle changes seem like they are just part of the system test -- I'm a mechanic wannabe so this is a head-mescratcher for - I'll start jiggling some wires and keep testing -- Enjoy your weekend -- :popcorn:

California Tests

In the sub-forum "Under the Hood" member T-bars posted what is now a sticky on passing the California Smog and Evap Test. Might be a good idea to give that a read through just for grins. T-bars is very knowledgeable. You may pick up something you have overlooked in the past. WTH, it's free:)

Thanks Wireman - Seen and use the post by Tbars (his posts have helped on several occasions) - school is definitely in session :salute:

Back