• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer sport

Patel511

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Hey guys new member here with a 2014 Explorer Sport. I've been reading through the modified section and I was able to come up with a couple questions in regards to modification. (If these questions were already asked I'm sorry please bare with me :))

1. I see some members are using 9005 hid kits while some are using 9006 kits which is a better fit to replace the halogen headlights? I see coolbulbs is where most of you guys are going, I see you can pick bulb size but there is also a ballast option (ASIC, CAN, and standard) which one is the best for the explorer?

2. I want to tune the sport with the livernois tune but being a leased car what do you guys recommend?

3. As far as the livernois tune goes, I was reading several posts and I read something about 3bar what does that signify? Is this tune applied from the OBDII port or will I have to access the DME directly?

I'm not new to tuning as I also drive a BMW 335i that is an inline 6 that is also TT, but the lingo in that world is a tad different.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. I see some members are using 9005 hid kits while some are using 9006 kits which is a better fit to replace the halogen headlights? I see coolbulbs is where most of you guys are going, I see you can pick bulb size but there is also a ballast option (ASIC, CAN, and standard) which one is the best for the explorer?

I have the Coolbulbs kit for my headlights. Andrew at Coolbulbs offers exceptional customer service. I believe they are 9006. I cannot comment on the rest of your question

2. I want to tune the sport with the livernois tune but being a leased car what do you guys recommend?

Personally, I'd go with SCT (X4 or Livewire TS). The preloaded tune is great and for a daily driver its perfect. Also its very easy to return to stock so you can give it back when the lease is up without any issues.

3. As far as the livernois tune goes, I was reading several posts and I read something about 3bar what does that signify? Is this tune applied from the OBDII port or will I have to access the DME directly?

A 3 bar map sensor is simply the sensor in the engine bay that reads the amount of pressure your turbos are making. I dont know what the stock sensor is, but I think its a 2.5 bar. Bar is another way of expressing pressure. 1 bar = 14.503 psi. If you were to increase the boost to a level above what the factory MAP sensor can read, then the vehicles computer can no longer account for the additional pressure. So if your tune increased the pressure above 2.5 bar (36.25 psi) less atmospheric pressure (14.7) then yes you would need an upgrade.

So 2.5 bar = 36.25 psi MINUS 14.7 (atmosphere) = ~21.55 psi. So that would be the max turbo boost that a stock 2.5 bar sensor can read to.

Most tunes are not going to exceed this as the turbos are likely not that efficient at that level of boost.

Looks like I'll have to do more research on other tunes, I'll call Andrew at cool bulbs. Thank you for the explanation!

ive heard good things about the sct tune, the only thing is they still dont have all the strategy codes yet. once thats taking care of im jumping on it.

ive heard good things about the sct tune, the only thing is they still dont have all the strategy codes yet. once thats taking care of im jumping on it.

99% of the strategies are available and released. If you arent sure, PM me your strategy and I'll check it for you.

A 3 bar map sensor is simply the sensor in the engine bay that reads the amount of pressure your turbos are making. I dont know what the stock sensor is, but I think its a 2.5 bar. Bar is another way of expressing pressure. 1 bar = 14.503 psi. If you were to increase the boost to a level above what the factory MAP sensor can read, then the vehicles computer can no longer account for the additional pressure. So if your tune increased the pressure above 2.5 bar (36.25 psi) less atmospheric pressure (14.7) then yes you would need an upgrade.

So 2.5 bar = 36.25 psi MINUS 14.7 (atmosphere) = ~21.55 psi. So that would be the max turbo boost that a stock 2.5 bar sensor can read to.

Most tunes are not going to exceed this as the turbos are likely not that efficient at that level of boost.

Stock is 2 bar, so you'll max out in the 15 PSI range depending on your ambient pressure. That is right at the high end of what tunes can offer, so if you plan to try and extract the absolute most power out of the Sport, a 3 bar is recommended. If all you plan to do is run the out of box tune, 2 bar should be fine. If you plan to do plugs, t-stat, exhaust, intake, downpipes, meth, etc. 3 bar is the way to go.

Good to know stock is 2bar.

I bought the SCT and I am waiting in strategy being told that they should all be complete in about 2-4 weeks. Sure hope so - I have heard that the tune is great.

I would just like to say I have the sct x4 with unleashed tunes and am very happy. Doesn't hurt that it's $200 cheaper than the others either, while offering more functionality.

I would just like to say I have the sct x4 with unleashed tunes and am very happy. Doesn't hurt that it's $200 cheaper than the others either, while offering more functionality.

The other advantage of the SCT is that it can be "unmarried" from the vehicle, and sold once/if you are done with it. With the Lund or LMS, it cannot be resold later on. Once installed on your car that is pretty much it (there are some possible ways around this, but not easy ones). The LMS is a more proven solution right now, but it does have the cost drawbacks both upfront and down the road.

I bought the SCT and I am waiting in strategy being told that they should all be complete in about 2-4 weeks. Sure hope so - I have heard that the tune is great.

What is your strategy?

Hi Boostking - my strategy is: KJDH2GB

Alex

I'm running the Livernois tune. It's awesome. Have had it for awhile now. Extremely easy to switch back to stock. When there are new updates that come out I just ping Livernois and then they send me any tunes that have been upgraded. The thing I like about Livernois tunes is there are towing tunes and different Octane tunes. It's perfect.

Hi Boostking - my strategy is: KJDH2GB

Alex

That strategy does open in the custom tuning software if you are getting a custom tune. If you are only looking to run the preloaded tune, that is currently being added for your strategy. Your strategy happens to be one of the newer codes. It will be added shortly and I will update you as to when its available.

Thank you, I am only planning on stock tune, so will need to wait I guess
Thanks for keeping me posted

Livernois 93 octane v3 tune, with a custom 'no up shift' in M mode. Really happy with it.
Don't see the negative with the tune being married to the car. If I'm selling, exhaust and all the other mods will be left on the car. New car, new project!

Livernois 93 octane v3 tune, with a custom 'no up shift' in M mode. Really happy with it.
Don't see the negative with the tune being married to the car. If I'm selling, exhaust and all the other mods will be left on the car. New car, new project!

I imagine a very small percentage of people would sell their cars with the tune still installed given the option to sell the device separately. If you plan to, no worries with the LMS. Regardless, it's an advantage of the SCT. There's nothing wrong with the LMS; it's a good tune, and I'm not knocking it other than the archaic hardware and the fact that only LMS can really tune with the MyCalibr8or. With the SCT you have the option of having it custom tuned by any number of tuners (including local ones for me), and I think the logging functions are better which is a must for anyone that really cares about that type of stuff or uses an off-the-shelf tune.

I've had all variants of tuning devices, and what SCT offers is the most flexible option in terms of the tuning hardware. If you are planning on just using an off-the-shelf tune, and not doing anything else, LMS very well may be the best option at this point.

It can also be a lot worse than what LMS offers.... Most Audi tunes are off-the-shelf tunes that have to be flashed by a shop, they cost a lot more, and are more limited than even what LMS is offering (i.e. can't easily be uninstall when going in for service).

Thank you, I am only planning on stock tune, so will need to wait I guess
Thanks for keeping me posted

Good news! They released an update last night that adds the support for your vehicle to the x4 (preloaded). So you should be all set. Contact your dealer and just make sure you update the device all the way and you will be good to go. Happy modding!

Thank you Boostking - yes got an e-mail from SCT yesterday confirming update, will download soon and then will sit back and enjoy the ride...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back