2015 Sport didn't make it off the dealer's lot without issue - do I have a lemon? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Sport didn't make it off the dealer's lot without issue - do I have a lemon?

I should have my 2015 Sport back from the dealer's body shop tomorrow afternoon. They are supposed to fix the scratch and hood water spots. I've been driving a rental all week.

Almost done with the engine break-in period.

Can't wait for the weekend.

Will post some pics then.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The car our Explorer replaced was a turbo Forester. My wife started putting regular in it to save money, when gas prices really started to spike a few years back. The first thing she noticed is the mileage went down, but didn't put any more thought to it. Since it was her car, I didn't pay that much attention. After I drove it a couple of times, feeling a distinct dulling of performance, I had the opportunity to fill it up. After calculating the mileage I was not impressed. I put premium in it and said she should do the same. After a few tanks and more calculations I determined that even though premium was more expensive, the increase in mileage offset it. Overall, it was costing us less to use premium.

The car our Explorer replaced was a turbo Forester. My wife started putting regular in it to save money, when gas prices really started to spike a few years back. The first thing she noticed is the mileage went down, but didn't put any more thought to it. Since it was her car, I didn't pay that much attention. After I drove it a couple of times, feeling a distinct dulling of performance, I had the opportunity to fill it up. After calculating the mileage I was not impressed. I put premium in it and said she should do the same. After a few tanks and more calculations I determined that even though premium was more expensive, the increase in mileage offset it. Overall, it was costing us less to use premium.

Vince,
I have a 2013 Lim also and have been using regular since day 1 with the exception of maybe once or twice using super. My mileage sucks, would you recommend me stringing about 3-4 fillups with super to see (expect) better mileage? Keeping in mind I am in NYC so there is a traffic light at every 2 blocks.

Putting anything but regular 87 octane in the N.A. 3.5L V6 is a waste of money. There are posts on that in another thread that has to do with mileage. In fact 87 is also the 'recommended' fuel for the Ecoboost although there is a rider for the Ecoboost engine that says using 93 will give top performance.

Peter

I was in your position 11 years ago when I bought my first new car. I've owned, raced, destroyed, offroaded and banged up enough cars now that I don't get as bent out of shape about them. I can understand the frustration of a new car problem.

As for octane, if you guys search, you'll find where import builders like toyota were testing and rating all of their cars on premium which boosted their HP and torque numbers. Most people ran regular and got less performance. Toyota and others ended up down rating their engines with the testing standards. Modern cars will advance timing based on a max torque spark curve in the programming. They will retard spark timing as load, coolant temp, oil temp, air temp, etc. all increase. The computer can use knock sensors and possibly cam and crank position sensors to detect misfires, preignition, and detonation and adjust timing accordingly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#SAE_certified_power

"SAE certified power[edit]

In 2005, the SAE introduced "SAE Certified Power" with SAE J2723.[26] This test is voluntary and is in itself not a separate engine test code but a certification of either J1349 or J1995 after which the manufacturer is allowed to advertise "Certified to SAE J1349" or "Certified to SAE J1995" depending on which test standard have been followed. To attain certification the test must follow the SAE standard in question, take place in an ISO9000/9002 certified facility and be witnessed by an SAE approved third party.

A few manufacturers such as Honda and Toyota switched to the new ratings immediately, with multi-directional results; the rated output of Cadillac's supercharged Northstar V8 jumped from 440 to 469 hp (328 to 350 kW) under the new tests, while the rating for Toyota's Camry 3.0 L 1MZ-FE V6 fell from 210 to 190 hp (160 to 140 kW). The company's Lexus ES 330 and Camry SE V6 were previously rated at 225 hp (168 kW) but the ES 330 dropped to 218 hp (163 kW) while the Camry declined to 210 hp (160 kW). The first engine certified under the new program was the 7.0 L LS7 used in the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. Certified power rose slightly from 500 to 505 hp (373 to 377 kW).

While Toyota and Honda are retesting their entire vehicle lineups, other automakers generally are retesting only those with updated powertrains. For example, the 2006 Ford Five Hundred is rated at 203 horsepower, the same as that of 2005 model. However, the 2006 rating does not reflect the new SAE testing procedure as Ford is not going to spend the extra expense of retesting its existing engines. Over time, most automakers are expected to comply with the new guidelines.

SAE tightened its horsepower rules to eliminate the opportunity for engine manufacturers to manipulate factors affecting performance such as how much oil was in the crankcase, engine control system calibration, and whether an engine was tested with premium fuel. In some cases, such can add up to a change in horsepower ratings. A road test editor at Edmunds.com, John Di Pietro, said decreases in horsepower ratings for some '06 models are not that dramatic. For vehicles like a midsize family sedan, it is likely that the reputation of the manufacturer will be more important.[27]"

So my salesman called me and said that the car has been painted and detailed. BUT now he says that the rear passenger door sensor won't turn off and says it is open when the door is closed. He is trying to get the service people to try and fix it. But he can't guarantee that it will be figured out today - FRIDAY. I was hoping to take it to the beach this weekend. I have been driving a nissan rental since Monday when I brought it in to get the relatively minor scratches painted and buffed. And the dealer was then supposed to detail it, because when I picked it up, the car was not fully detailed.

Wife is not happy. lol. Not sure how common this issue is?

Does anyone else have any door sensor issues?

I believe that you are the first member to post that issue. If the dealer is close by, could you not 'borrow' your own vehicle for the weekend and bring it back on Monday?

Peter

Is there a way to override the door warning? If so that is a possibility.

But, not sure how that would effect the alarm turning on when trying to lock it?

We did want to have our car for the weekend. Waiting to hear from the sales guy of what service tells him.

Hopefully issues don't come in threes.

From what I've read here, this seems to be Federally mandated safety feature. The few times that I get out with the engine running I just don't close the door all the way. Just to the first 'click'. I guess you could also leave the 2nd key in the vehicle or have a 3rd one made up and hide it somewhere inside. It would then mean using the door Securicode panel to lock the doors.

Peter

Vince,
I have a 2013 Lim also and have been using regular since day 1 with the exception of maybe once or twice using super. My mileage sucks, would you recommend me stringing about 3-4 fillups with super to see (expect) better mileage? Keeping in mind I am in NYC so there is a traffic light at every 2 blocks.

Hi roamingphantom,

Since our Explorers are not turbos, putting anything in the tank other than regular would be a waste of money. There just isn't a whole lot the engine can do to make use of the higher octane (unlike a modern turbo engine that can). About the only thing you can do to improve MPG is to keep the intake air filter clean, tires at proper pressure, and find gas with as little ethanol in it as possible, but I am not sure of availability in your area. Of course, if the 'pure' stuff is too much more expensive, then there is no money to be saved. Honestly, if you are driving through NYC, I am not sure there is anything you can do to really improve your mileage. The stop and go stuff just kills the mileage in the Gray Ghost. Unfortunately, that is what it see most often in my wife's commute to work. We have been averaging about 18 MPG the past couple of months with a few tanks between 20-22 due to almost pure highway (at 79mph) runs between Frisco and Houston. If we slow down to 75mph, it goes up maybe .5, but you get run over going that speed, lol.

Just a heads up on air filters. Consumer Reports says that the most abused service performed on a vehicle is changing air filters. Unless you have an old vehicle with a carburetor the mass air flow sensor (MAF) measures the amount of air entering the combustion chambers. The ECM then injects
the precise amount of fuel to match the volume of air. The only thing that happens with a dirty air filter is less air gets to the engine at a specific throttle plate opening. So in that case the driver pushes a tiny bit more on the throttle, the throttle plate opens a little more and the additional air flow results in more fuel being injected but not a drop "extra" is being injected. In old vehicles the opening of the throttle plate dumped more fuel even though air flow as restricted, therefore sucky gas mileage. A dirty air cleaner unless it was totally plugged would not affect gas mileage.

Picked up my Sport on Saturday from Service. They apparently had to replace a bad wire connector in the door lock sensor? I did not get a chance to discuss it with the service tech.

Happy to report that the paint scratches and hood water spots are gone. The body shop did a nice job. So I am happy with that. Just took a lot longer than I wanted.

My fingers are crossed that there are no other issues any time soon.

I just passed 1k miles. I have read online that some people recommend changing the oil at 1000-1500 mile range because there are tiny aluminum pieces left over from manufacturing process that don't get picked up in the filter? Is that true?

Thanks for the guidance.

Cheers,

Mike

Picked up my Sport on Saturday from Service. They apparently had to replace a bad wire connector in the door lock sensor? I did not get a chance to discuss it with the service tech.

Happy to report that the paint scratches and hood water spots are gone. The body shop did a nice job. So I am happy with that. Just took a lot longer than I wanted.

I just passed 1k miles. I have read online that some people recommend changing the oil at 1000-1500 mile range because there are tiny aluminum pieces left over from manufacturing process that don't get picked up in the filter? Is that true?

Thanks for the guidance.

Cheers,

Mike

If it were true (and a valid concern), the Ford engineers would have had the early oil change written into the maintenance schedule as a part of the required service. But they didn't, t's not there, save your money.....I would trust the engineers long before any backyard mechanic that says you should (ie they call it cheap insurance....pretty lame statement IMO)...

I have read online that some people recommend changing the oil at 1000-1500 mile range because there are tiny aluminum pieces left over from manufacturing process that don't get picked up in the filter? Is that true?

No, not true. Wait for the OLM.

Just a heads up on air filters. Consumer Reports says that the most abused service performed on a vehicle is changing air filters. Unless you have an old vehicle with a carburetor the mass air flow sensor (MAF) measures the amount of air entering the combustion chambers. The ECM then injects
the precise amount of fuel to match the volume of air. The only thing that happens with a dirty air filter is less air gets to the engine at a specific throttle plate opening. So in that case the driver pushes a tiny bit more on the throttle, the throttle plate opens a little more and the additional air flow results in more fuel being injected but not a drop "extra" is being injected. In old vehicles the opening of the throttle plate dumped more fuel even though air flow as restricted, therefore sucky gas mileage. A dirty air cleaner unless it was totally plugged would not affect gas mileage.

Interesting about the air filters, I did not know that! I guess I'm a little too old school sometimes :)

For those interested in the article:

Debunking fuel-economy myths
Get a reality check on 7 common fuel-saving misconceptions
Consumer Reports magazine: August 2012

Debunking fuel-economy myths.

What's this world coming to? Next thing you know they'll tell you there is no Easter Bunny!;)

Peter

Thanks for the guidance.

Cheers,

Mike

Excellent! glad to hear you got it back! Enjoy driving it. Maybe i'll see you driving around the bay one of these days.

Debunking fuel-economy myths.

What's this world coming to? Next thing you know they'll tell you there is no Easter Bunny!;)

Peter

Does that mean your new name is going to be 'Peter Cottontail'?

A new avatar for you:
char_65107.jpg

Back