Rear Glass Hatch Latch 2002 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Glass Hatch Latch 2002 Explorer

bigblockgt

Reaction score
City, State
Jeffersonville In
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
My rear latch on my glass hatch is hanging on by the windshield wiper assembly. Both studs have come out of the glass.

Is there someway to fix this? or do I have to look for a glass with the studs still on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just fixed this exact problem on my '02 XLT. There is no stud plate available from Ford. I made a replacement assembly using aluminum bar stock and some stainless steel bolts from hardware store. Only tools needed are hacksaw and a drill, and a wide putty knife to get the trim piece off of the lower edge of rear window glass. Total cost of repair was less than $25 including some silicone sealant and adhesive for the trim piece. I have some photos I can share once I'm home later on.

I repaired and posted on this same issue a couple years ago.

I repaired and posted on this same issue a couple years ago.

Yeah! I used your post as a starting point for my recent repair - thanks for doing that. Difference for me is that I don't have any welding gear, so I fabbed up a new stud plate with hardware store parts. Pictures coming...

Hardest part was getting the trim piece off without breaking it.

You just take your time prying it off. Make sure u use the correct glue / sealant when installing and chexk fit before actually securing the panel. I recall removing the ford emblum and cutting a bit on opposite side of emblum

I just used two bolts and two medal wasters and two rubber washers from Home Depot works great no problems here. Didn't go crazy with replacing the plate . I use the glass door a lot too no issues here.

I just fixed this exact problem on my '02 XLT. There is no stud plate available from Ford. I made a replacement assembly using aluminum bar stock and some stainless steel bolts from hardware store. Only tools needed are hacksaw and a drill, and a wide putty knife to get the trim piece off of the lower edge of rear window glass. Total cost of repair was less than $25 including some silicone sealant and adhesive for the trim piece. I have some photos I can share once I'm home later on.

Any photos?

Back