EATC issue with interchange | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EATC issue with interchange

Reaction score
City, State
Wiggins MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Ok so I have a 1997 explorer limited 4x4. It has the EATC with rear air. The EATC in it was fried no fixing it. I went to a friends junk yard and found 5 more from various vehicles including a 1999 f150 lariat and a later model crown vic. When I plug in any of these EATC modules they all have the same effect. The blower runs even with no key, the info center stays on with no key and the parking lights stay on, the screen is blank like it has no power. It does this with all 5 the exact same. I gathered 3 new GEM modules from explorers too tried swapping these out but didnt change any thing, they had no AC controls in them so im not sure if they where digital or manual. So my question is do these EATC modules have different pinouts though they look similar? I see the only button thats different is instead of saying rear air off they say outside temp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so I have a 1997 explorer limited 4x4. It has the EATC with rear air. The EATC in it was fried no fixing it. I went to a friends junk yard and found 5 more from various vehicles including a 1999 f150 lariat and a later model crown vic. When I plug in any of these EATC modules they all have the same effect. The blower runs even with no key, the info center stays on with no key and the parking lights stay on, the screen is blank like it has no power. It does this with all 5 the exact same. I gathered 3 new GEM modules from explorers too tried swapping these out but didnt change any thing, they had no AC controls in them so im not sure if they where digital or manual. So my question is do these EATC modules have different pinouts though they look similar? I see the only button thats different is instead of saying rear air off they say outside temp.

Welcome, and I can tell you that the pre-98 EATC units have different blower motor controls. The 98+ have PWM circuits for the blower, different from the older 96/97 EATC like your truck.

I only know that much as being different, that and the display color changed to green after 1997. I myself want the blue display, for my 98 Mercury, and the 91 Lincoln I hope to swap a 96/97 EATC into.

I don't know if they can be used to swap with, but it looks like you cannot simply swap the 98+ models into your 97 truck. The 98+ EATC's are better given that PWM feature, but I don't know how it might be swapped successfully.

I suggest finding a 96/97 EATC and using that, even from the rebuild sources I've seen on eBay. Those should work for you.

I got ford to send me the pin outs for each part number unit I have they are all different wiring. I'm going to go and try to wire one up tonight and see if I can make one work if not I'm converting to manuall these eatc units are too expensive and too hard to locate.

I got ford to send me the pin outs for each part number unit I have they are all different wiring. I'm going to go and try to wire one up tonight and see if I can make one work if not I'm converting to manuall these eatc units are too expensive and too hard to locate.

Try the Pull a Part's, I paid about $25 for one last month. If I can figure out how to swap the early model into mine, I'll need two more. Good luck,

I got the blower working on all speeds, the vents to switch around properly, the automatic control working, the heat to come on. now to get the ac functioning still got some wiring to tend too but all in all it's been success with the help from the boys at ford sending me tons of wiring diagrams and pin outs from different eatc models.

I got the blower working on all speeds, the vents to switch around properly, the automatic control working, the heat to come on. now to get the ac functioning still got some wiring to tend too but all in all it's been success with the help from the boys at ford sending me tons of wiring diagrams and pin outs from different eatc models.

That's great. How many changes are in the wiring, did it mean moving some wires around in the connectors?

It's a complete rewire of the connectors. I cut all the wires and used male and female weather proof spade connectors so I could easily switch around wires to get it just right. It's a lot of studying wire diagrams and pin outs. I'm going to post up the pin outs I created for each unit and give a miny write up on it to help other folks out when I get my laptop tonight. My blendor motor is still not right but I did the whole wiring in an hour so I need to research a slight bit more and get the wireing a little more correct for it but I'll post up what I have so far.

Thanks, that might also help me to figure out if the 97 EATC will work for my 91 Lincoln. The newer models have more control of vacuum than older models, so I may find out it's not possible.

I read an article about a guy using a newer eatc face plate on an older body. He custom soldered a lot of stuff though I'll see if I can find it again.

in waiting for the EATC diagrams :eek:

I'm trying to get my wife's new scanner to work as soon as I get it kicking I'm posting it up.

Explorer pin out

Crown Vic wiring diagram again very vague wire descriptions.

Explorer EATC wiring diagram very vague descriptions of wire functions.

Crown Vic pin out

Crown Vic pin out.

Explorer pin out
Here are the original diagrams and pin outs I used. I'm still working on my custom pin out.

I couldn't get the scanner to work so I took them phone pics for y'all.

Ok so I recharged my AC but the compressor wouldnt cycle on. Ran a ton of tests on the low pressure switch, high pressure switch and eatc. The WOT AC relay was constantly clicking so I thought maybe a bad relay. Nope. After some hard thinking and light drinking I came to the conclusion that the compressor clutch wasnt getting enough juice through the relay. If I jumped the compressor clutch to the battery it kicked right on and the ac in the truck would blow ice cubes. I got out my matco multimeter with its 6 dozen different attachments and went to town. The purple wire that is labled as ac clutch output in the diagrams above was sending out 3.8 volts. Not enough to energize an AC compressor clutch. So routing through the diagram i see that it routes through both pressure switches then through the WOT AC relay and onward to the compressor clutch. So I tied into the purple wire that runs to the low pressure switch and ran a toggle switch to the battery on a fused wire (Don't want to melt nothing) and can manually switch on the compressor clutch while still having the nice safety of the pressure switches. This apparently is caused by a weak relay inside the eatc itself and I dont give a crap enough to rip it open and try to hunt down what went wrong. I now have cold AC and all the functions of the EATC I pulled out of the 2001 Crown Vic. and some it didnt have like the the rear blower. (just have to put the rear blower relay on a switched ground it the red and orange wire on Pin 19 ) But if anyone sees a way I can get 12 volts or more from a source that shuts off when I push the off button of the AC let me know.

USE THE CROWN VIC PIN OUT I POSTED ABOVE FOR PIN LOCATIONS.

WHITE CONNECTOR

PIN 1- PINK/LIGHT BLUE STRIPE
PIN 2-LIGHT GREEN/YELLOW STRIPE
PIN 3-BLACK
PIN 4-PINK/BLACK STRIPE
PIN 5-NOT USED
PIN 6-LIGHT GREEN/ORANGE STRIPE
PIN 7-RED/ORANGE STRIPE
PIN 15-TAN/ORANGE STRIPE
PIN 16-BLACK/LIGHT GREEN STRIPE
PIN 17-NOT USED
PIN 18-BROWN/WHITE STRIPE
PIN 19-LIGHT BROWN/RED STRIPE
PIN 20-BROWN

BLACK CONNECTOR

PIN 8-NOT USED
PIN 9-ORANGE/BLACK STRIPE
PIN 10-TAN/ORANGE STRIPE
PIN 11-PURPLE
PIN 12-NOT USED
PIN 13-ORANGE
PIN 14-RED/BLACK STRIPE
PIN 21-WHITE/ORANGE STRIPE
PIN 22-NOT USED
PIN 23-BROWN/ORANGE STRIPE
PIN 24-WHITE/PINK STRIPE
PIN 25-RED
PIN 26-DARK BLUE/LIGHT GREEN STRIPE

NOTES
(THERE ARE 2 RED/ORANGE STRIPE WIRES ONE TO GROUND THE REAR BLOWER RELAY AND ONE FOR THE AMBIENT TEMP SENSOR DONT MIX THESE UP)

(THERE ARE ALSO 2 TAN/ORANGE STRIPE WIRES YOU CAN IDENTIFY THE DATA LINES BECAUSE THEY ARE TWISTED TOGETHER)

:exporangeI SWAPPED AND PLAYED WITH THE BLEND DOOR WIRES UNTIL I GOT IT WORKING 100% THE PIN OUT ABOVE IS HOW I BELIEVE MY FINAL PRODUCT WAS. I USED MALE AND FEMALE SPADE CONNECTORS TO CONNECT EVERYTHING. I CUT THE CONNECTORS FROM THE HARNESS WITH ABOUT 3IN OF WIRE ON THE CONNECTORS. CRIMPED ON MALE CONNECTORS TO THE BLACK AND WHITE CONNECTORS AND FEMALE ON THE HARNESS END. WHY YOU ASK? BECAUSE I ALSO TRIED OUT EATC MODULES FROM THE EXPEDITION AND F150. THEY ALL WORK BY THE WAY JUST TAKES SOME THINKING AND DRINKING TO MAKE IT THROUGH THE WIRING DIAGRAMS AND YOU CAN MAKE ANYTHING WORK. THE CROWN VIC SEEMS TO WORK THE BEST SO I USED IT. HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK. I WILL MAKE PIN OUTS FOR THE F150 AND EXPEDITION TOO.:exporange

Good work and thanks for the diagrams/info you posted here.

I had my 91 Mark VII do that with the compressor not running too. I knew that full power went through the EATC on that car, so I added a relay between the compressor and the battery, triggered by the WOT relay signal. It has worked like it should for two years now, I imagine the EATC has an issue internally to create that low power signal.

The Crown Vic EATC has an outside temp button, what do the diagrams say that circuit is electrically? I suppose it's just an input from a sensor then.

I hooked it up the way I posted and the outside temp button reads the same as my overhead so I assume it utilizes the ambient air temp sensor to gauge the outside temp.

Ok so I recharged my AC but the compressor wouldnt cycle on. Ran a ton of tests on the low pressure switch, high pressure switch and eatc. The WOT AC relay was constantly clicking so I thought maybe a bad relay. Nope. After some hard thinking and light drinking I came to the conclusion that the compressor clutch wasnt getting enough juice through the relay. If I jumped the compressor clutch to the battery it kicked right on and the ac in the truck would blow ice cubes. I got out my matco multimeter with its 6 dozen different attachments and went to town. The purple wire that is labled as ac clutch output in the diagrams above was sending out 3.8 volts. Not enough to energize an AC compressor clutch. So routing through the diagram i see that it routes through both pressure switches then through the WOT AC relay and onward to the compressor clutch. So I tied into the purple wire that runs to the low pressure switch and ran a toggle switch to the battery on a fused wire (Don't want to melt nothing) and can manually switch on the compressor clutch while still having the nice safety of the pressure switches. This apparently is caused by a weak relay inside the eatc itself and I dont give a crap enough to rip it open and try to hunt down what went wrong. I now have cold AC and all the functions of the EATC I pulled out of the 2001 Crown Vic. and some it didnt have like the the rear blower. (just have to put the rear blower relay on a switched ground it the red and orange wire on Pin 19 ) But if anyone sees a way I can get 12 volts or more from a source that shuts off when I push the off button of the AC let me know.

Maybe this would be helpful?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363745&highlight=EATC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this post is a few years old. But im having the same problem. 2003 f150 eatc fried out. Got 4 different eatc mods and they dont work but the speed switch lights and and it comes on and stays on when my lights are turned on. Did you ever fix that?

Back