• Register Today It's free!

new guy has a few questions

muttin_chop_king

Reaction score
City, State
warrensburg missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
Hey guys I just picked up a 2000 explorer from a friend for really cheap and have a few ideas on what to do with it, but I have a few questions first.
first off its a 2000 explorer, 220,000 miles, xlt, 4x4, 4.0 v6
a few questions
is it worth it to drop in a v8? this things is only getting 15 mpg in the city right now so I cant see that getting too much worse, and the power right now isn't too bad but I plan on getting bigger tires and don't know if the 6 is big enough

cheapest ways to lift it? im a college student so I don't have much money

sas easy/worth it for the cost?

any problem areas I should look for n the vehicle and plan ahead for?

Is it worth it to keep and build the explorer or should I just trade and buy a truck or jeep? I plan on beating my car up and don't know if this explorer is the best way to to, I could sell and make a profit and buy something a little bit more capable

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spend some time searching the forum

There is a huge wealth of info in here!

Most of your questions are a matter of personal opinion.

I would run the 4.0l into the dirt before I did a swap. The factory horsepower is actually pretty close between the two, again use the search feature.

Cheapest lift is a torsions twist and either fab or purchase rear lift spring lift shackles.

SAS depends who you ask but I don't think it is "cheap".

Problem areas aren't really different than any other vehicle, stuff wears out.

This is an Explorer forum so I believe most of the answers will be keep and build it, which is what would do/am doing.

That's my 2 cents and welcome to the forum!

My v8 expl gets better millage than my v6, power wise big differance . lift wise TT and shackles is cheep SAS is not cheep and in my opinion not worth it unless you plan on some extream off roading. I would keep the v6 and save up for the v8 get rid of the auto 4x4 or brown wire mod it do 2 to 4 inches of lift and rehearsal accordingly to tire size.

But that's all my $0.02 on it like said about most of it is all on opinions.

I would TT and shackle the V6, put 31s on it and beat it like a cheap *****. I'm from Missouri also and that setup should do what you want around there. The exploders are pretty plentyful and when you "beat" a car those are things to think about-spare parts. For the price what are your choices S-10, Ranger, cherokee, etc. The only one that has more power factory is the v8 grand cherokee which has a straight axle but no frame. And the jeeps parts don't swap across the board, where as an exploder 2nd gen is a 2nd gen exploder for the most part. Try and find a wrecked v8 awd and you have a v8 and parts car. (think you would need a late 97 and up)

I am also a college student with limited funds.

Run the V6 forever until it dies. Use gearing to fix your lack of power with bigger tires. V8 swaps are neither easy nor cheap, no matter how simple they might look on paper.

Depends on the amount of lift you want. Tons of info here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

SAS is not easy. SAS can be worth the cost, depending on the type of wheeling you want to do. SAS is not cheap. With the limited funds of a college kid, your SAS project will probably be a long, slow, painful process of collecting parts, spending all your money, changing your mind, buying new parts again, replacing stock parts that have broken because you're taking so long to finish the project, etc. Or you might somehow have some good luck and get it done quick. I have bad luck and over-think things, so my process has been the first one that I described.

At that age and mileage the whole vehicle (any vehicle that old) is a problem area that needs to be looked at, but at the same time these things will usually just keep running til they die if you want. Look at control arms (bushings and ball joints), oil and trans fluid leaks may need to be fixed, your wheel bearings might need to be replaced soon (even sooner if you put bigger tires on), your leaf spring bushings are probably not in the best of shape, but you'll survive without replacing those.

If you want the cheap easy route, a Jeep might be the way to go. I love my Explorer but the Jeeps already have the suspension and steering set up that the SAS will give you. Also they have so many bolt on accessories its crazy. They will both take abuse if you give it to them, and if you put the time and money into them they can both be very capable. But if you want to SAS the Explorer, the Jeep is already one step ahead. Look into what is possible with the SAS, and what is possible without it. You may not need it, and the Explorer might be better for you than a Jeep. In my opinion, the Jeeps are not roomy at all, less cargo space, feels smaller on the road, etc. I think you should really give the Explorer a chance. I think it can be more fun than a Jeep, especially if you want to build something that will be your own.

I figured it was. Thats why I went for the Beat it version, stock parts are easier to find. haha

im from Colorado just in Missouri for college, I was hoping to sooner or later do some big wheeling in the mountains with it. and ya this is my only car, im a really big truck guy and am really debating trading up and getting a truck, try and talk me out of it guys? this thing sounds like its gonna be a lot of money to customize. and a pain to find parts/work on

im from Colorado just in Missouri for college, I was hoping to sooner or later do some big wheeling in the mountains with it. and ya this is my only car, im a really big truck guy and am really debating trading up and getting a truck, try and talk me out of it guys? this thing sounds like its gonna be a lot of money to customize. and a pain to find parts/work on
how much are you in the exploder? What do you think it will bring?

If the exploder is your budget, considering what ever else you get is gonna need work this would be my list of options.

1. beat the exploder, maybe throw some tires on it to help. You got it cheap, don't wrench thru school, just beat it and leave it.

2. Trade/Sell and get a YJ. Stock/body/shackle lift can be fun. You can do a tj conversion later and it would do very well in colorado

3. Get a v8 grand cherokee and have a v8 SAS exploder basically-just unibody

3. If your a big truck guy, go buy a truck. But comparing a 85 chevy k10 to an exploder is apples and oranges(Tires are bigger, truck is bigger, mpg is worse or the price is higher because you bought newer which will be ifs). With two kids and small trails I like my exploder better than a full size, any mid size truck will have the same power train as the suv counter part except V8 exploder and V8 grand.

I don't like fords but my merc fits my purpose.

im in $500 and can probbobly get $1200 or trade for a nice broken vehicle and fix it, so I kinda need to decide to drop this thing or start upgrading, I like the challenge that it brings and that fact that you don't see a lot of explorers around.

What will a junk yard give you? You can blow it up and lose maybe $200? Beat is my vote.

And the 8.8 is what you would put in a jeep anyway.

if I keep the explorer I am very interested in doing a sas to keep myself from breaking it, how much would that cost? and would the v6 be enough to back that kinda thing up? any upgrades available so I don't have to do a v8 swap, like build the motor or a supercharger?

if I keep the explorer I am very interested in doing a sas to keep myself from breaking it, how much would that cost? and would the v6 be enough to back that kinda thing up? any upgrades available so I don't have to do a v8 swap, like build the motor or a supercharger?

Gears work wonders for low hp. The v6 would do ok. As far as the power adders I would v8 swap or switch to a v8 truck. Depending on how nice it is that could be an option.

Sas price. That is like asking what does a car cost. Leafs, coils, coilovers ?
What is your skill level, what tools do you have, are you willing to wait for smoking deals on parts.

Plenty of sas threads. You will have to look that up yourself

If you want the solid front easily and without breaking the bank, and want an Explorer sized SUV, get a Grand Cherokee.

Or do some basic lifts to the Explorer, keep it IFS, and just replace parts as they break until you get out of college and can afford (financially and time wise) to have a project vehicle. If you go with 31"-33"s and don't drive too insanely, you should be okay when it comes to what's going to break. SAS is nice because of the strength, but is expensive. You'd be better off getting a different vehicle if you are hell bent on a solid front but don't love the Explorer.

Plenty of people run the V6 with big tires. Just gotta gear it right.

Back