Opinion 2015 Sport

sgtdon

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
I have a 2013 XLT I bought new and I am thinking about buying a 2015 Sport.

Anybody had any problems with the ENGINE or complaints on the Sport in general?

I took one for a test drive last Thursday and I thought they would have been a little faster than it was with the extra 70 H.P.

Also WHY CAN'T YOU ORDER A NEW EXPLORER WITHOUT THAT DANG 3RD ROW SEAT. SOME PEOPLE DON'T NEED IT AND WANT THE STORAGE.

Oh, I am buying a new one because I just got divorced and I know it will really upset the X like it did when I bought the 2013
Explorer. Only now I do not have to listen to it. :) :) :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I totally agree. The 3rd row seat sucks, and is a waste of space. I never had a 3rd row in my other Explorers and certainly didn't want it in this one.

My understanding on this is the NHTSA rules say they cant sell the vehicle without it. Same as the Police Advisory Board asked for a 2nd row delete option so they didnt have to store all those 2nd row seats after installing the prisoner plastic seats.

NHTSA

I have a 2013 XLT I bought new and I am thinking about buying a 2015 Sport.

Anybody had any problems with the ENGINE or complaints on the Sport in general?

I took one for a test drive last Thursday and I thought they would have been a little faster than it was with the extra 70 H.P.

Also WHY CAN'T YOU ORDER A NEW EXPLORER WITHOUT THAT DANG 3RD ROW SEAT. SOME PEOPLE DON'T NEED IT AND WANT THE STORAGE.

Oh, I am buying a new one because I just got divorced and I know it will really upset the X like it did when I bought the 2013

The solution is all the police parts to delete the third row and give it a functional shelf with storage underneath. In the process of acquiring everything now and will maybe do a write-up when I tackle it.

First the wife delete option, now the 3rd row delete option? Niiice. Lol. Kidding, but hey. I am sure you can somehow remove the 3rd row seats. Then you have extra car seats to sell on Ebay!

Yeah, that is just the removal of the seats and the installation of the cross-brace. There is actually a complete floor that goes in from the police package if you want a finished look without a giant hole in the back.

If any further information is a waste and should just be added to that thread, I won't bother. Otherwise, I have a complete parts list and figured I would document it as a courtesy to anyone wanting to do the same project.

There are pics of the Interceptor with the finished cargo area, I just haven't found them yet. I am sure that there would be members interested in seeing how to go about the whole complete change including the floor.

Peter

Thank you everyone for your reply's. The wife deletion has been due for a few years now. Sad to go through it at this age, we did have some good times. But you should not have to live with a step son that steals from you, pops pills, and a wife that sticks up for him. well, enough of that.

I may go down to the Police store we have down the road. They take most of the new police cars in the area and convert them. My area has been getting a lot of Police Explorers since last winter. Maybe if there conversion looks nice I will ask them if they do civilian cars.

I also read Mike Callery's conversion, thank you for posting it. I could not open the pics though. I will have to go out and buy some tools though since the X and her kid took every power tool and hand tool I had.

Thanks again peterK9, you are always there to help people.

So no one commented on the SPORT itself? Everyone happy with theirs??

Very happy with ours. The TwinTurbo V6 is definitely an improvement over the base V6 or the 2.0 4-cylinder.

you have not had a problem with it burning "RICH" or a build up of stuff at the end of your exhaust? I have seen a couple with the exhaust pipes just filthy inside of them.

I suppose I should add that the one SPORT had a computer chip in it. He told me it did help give him better performance and gas mileage.
He also said if Ford finds out they probably will not honor the warranty.

The tips do get a little black, but it wiped off easily enough when we washed the car a couple of times this summer. Our other car is also a direct injected turbo, and I didn't clean the tips for about a year - had to use some elbow grease to get them clean. Unfortunately this is a downside to direct injection engines. In a few years, I think it will be very hard to find an engine that is not DI - we're already seeing it more and more. The "rich" fuel-air mix isn't exactly wasting gas though. The soot buildup is from very small amounts of gas.

Thanks for the input. I kind of thought it was nothing to worry about since I have read nothing bad about them.

I guess I will get one, as long as we can work out the price. The suspension felt a little better also in the Sport.

Thank you amd2800barton (cute name! I use to have one in my old computer).

Well went to the dealer today and narrowed it down to the exterior colors of Ruby Red or the Magnetic.

I kind of like the Ruby Red because it is different with the Sport Trim and I have NOT seen any with that color. The Magnetic is nice but almost like the black. The only thing is the Ruby Red one does NOT have rear Buckets and console which I want since I am NOT married anymore and do not need the extra seat. The 2 tone seat color also looks pretty nice but I would like to see it in a car first.

There are not too many incentives going on right now either.:(

I vote for red! As if I had a vote...lol

My Honda was grey, our F150 is grey and the F250 is grey....so needed a break..... Lol.

LOVE the Sport! Coming from a Limited for 4 months and upgrading to Sport was best decision so far! I don't like sharing it....but I do share it..something that Arizona is a community property state....lol

Absolutely love our ex sport. Design wise, there are a few items I'd change (it's too big and too wide...I'd like it better if it was 9/10ths the size it is)

TT V6 is awesome. Seats are great. Handles shockingly good for a big heavy truck. Tows great. All with a reasonably comfy ride. Good stuff ford. Way, way more exciting and better NVH control than our 2011 pilot which it replaced.:thumbsup:

The only major issues with Ford's ecoboost is the intake coking that can occur from EGR and PCV contaminants that get washed away on port injected engines. There are quite a few places on the internet that document direct injection gas motors having this issue. With cleaning and care it can be managed, but it is something to consider that comes along with direct injection without port injection.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/te...i/308685-coking-direct-injection-engines.html

Get the second row buckets - they are much nicer, and with the console, you have some extra storage space. Plus, it just looks good. My '14 actually came without the console, but it was easy enough to add it on my own.

Something else to keep in mind: all '15 Sports have the power-fold third row as standard equipment now (glad I snagged a '14). Probably not a big deal, but if you decide you yank all that, you'll most likely have a bit more work ahead of you. With the manual third row, converting to the police floor seems a whole lot easier.

The kind of driving that puts a grin on your face can help with that. Give it a minute of "spirited" acceleration, and it should help clean off deposits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I absolutely LOVE my '15 Xsport. It does a really, really good job of being a great utility vehicle that doubles as a sporty "car." Seriously. It handles phenomenally, has excellent throttle response, above-average acceleration, quiet, smooth, comfortable, near-luxury, and believe it or not I get tons of compliments on how it looks. I couldn't be more happy. Well, except for the fact that the Sport model, which is supposed to be the top trim level, doesn't have HID headlights, parallel parking, rain-sensing wipers, and there's probably a few others I'm missing. But the engine and handling more than makes up for that other stuff in my opinion.

Tony

Back