Push button start can be turned off while driving!,, | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Push button start can be turned off while driving!,,

I'm guessing it reverses because it senses some kind of extra movement which it may interpret as blockage, so it is programed to reverse. Just a theory.

Peter

I believe you are correct. I have started driving very slowly in my driveway with the tailgate closing many times and it does not reverse. I did do it at a faster rate once in my driveway and it did reverse. I bet it is the wind drag/pressure on the tsolgate created at faster speeds. But if you are just riding the break or traveling at idle speed, it closes just fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm also curious about how someone can mistake the Start/Stop button for the audio power button. They are "miles" apart. The start/stop is sort of behind the steering wheel. The audio power is in the center of the dash. On a more related note, I tried the same thing and had to hold the button down for a few seconds to get it to stop. Starting in neutral worked when applying just a bit of brake.

2013_ford_explorer_sport_30.jpg

I'm also curious about how someone can mistake the Start/Stop button for the audio power button. They are "miles" apart.

Simple, the OP said they were "distracted" and was wearing headphones.

Completely Ford's fault.

Enough said.

Who cares how it happened? Nothing bad happened as a result. It happened. Get over it, everyone who's so uptight about it.

No one has brought up the idea that maybe below a certain speed (in a parking lot for example) you are able to shut off the engine with a simple button press. I know for a fact that my Explorer's engine will not shut off when driving at road or highway speeds if you inadvertently press the start/stop button. In fact, every car I've owned with a proximity key system does not allow the engine to be shut off at normal operating speeds just by simply pressing the button. Now, putting the transmission into neutral and/or holding the button down for several seconds is another story. My guess is that below a certain speed the ability to shut the engine off quickly is deemed to be a benefit. I could be wrong.

Tony

Tony

I don't have all those "gizmos" on my Explorer and I'm much happier. All I do is get in the car, insert key, and turn to the right. Engine starts. When I am done, I simply turn the key to the left. Engine stops. And I have much simpler buttons for my audio system that I would never confuse with a "start" button.

Sometimes simpler is better!

...... I know for a fact that my Explorer's engine will not shut off when driving at road or highway speeds if you inadvertently press the start/stop button. ........Tony
I quick press won't shut it off while driving but if you hold the start/stop button a few seconds it will turn off the engine as I mentioned in a previous post. I tested it twice to verify on a road with no traffic at 50 MPH.

Peter

Truth time

I know for a fact that my Explorer's engine will not shut off when driving at road or highway speeds if you inadvertently press the start/stop button. In fact, every car I've owned with a proximity key system does not allow the engine to be shut off at normal operating speeds just by simply pressing the button.
Tony

What is your make, trim package, and year? The ability to do this must differ between years or trim packages. I know for a fact that in my 2012 Explorer Limited and at highway speeds (around 70 mph) you CAN simply press the start/off button and cut the engine. All power systems (steering braking, dashboard display, audio system) remain fully powered but the engine does shut off.

Happened to me once (my fault). I was driving and using hands free while on a call. When I went to hit the "Disconnect" button on the phone section of the MFT screen I anchored my thumb on the dash to steady my hand as I went to push the disconnect call button. In my hurry I happened to anchor my thumb on the start/stop button and accidentally killed the engine. At first I couldn't figure out what happened. The check engine soon light came on and the motor stopped. I coasted onto the shoulder, put the Ex into park, and it started back up without any warnings or delay. Then I realized what I had done. There, I admit it. It's happened to me. I'm so ashmaed but my conscious is clear now. :)

Oh thank goodness, finally I can sleep better at night. And with the help of a very smart man (proven by the fact he can finance three $50K cars) and his social media backing from people from all over the globe, I can file my class action lawsuit against Ford and become a millionaire. Happy dance!

*Everything in italics is for humor purposes only!!!

Isnt it illegal to drive with headphones on?

Just checked my Ex today (12MY, built middle '11).
I'm not able to shut off engine just pressing button once, engine shuts off only either I press and hold or I press it three times in sequence. Once engine is shut off I'm only able to restart it by moving gear in N position, pushing break pedal slightly and then pushing start button. Nothing really scares, there is no power steering and braking, but still everything is under control.

For those that are really safety conscious. The designer believes this should work as long as the surface around the button is flat. I sent him a pick of a normal Ford push to start button and he said it appears it is the same size as the Mustang.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/s550parts

Look towards the bottom of the page.

Who cares how it happened? Nothing bad happened as a result. It happened. Get over it, everyone who's so uptight about it.

No one has brought up the idea that maybe below a certain speed (in a parking lot for example) you are able to shut off the engine with a simple button press. I know for a fact that my Explorer's engine will not shut off when driving at road or highway speeds if you inadvertently press the start/stop button......

Tony
AS posted before, after reading about a member accidently shutting off his engine while driving more than 1.5 years ago, I tried it with my 2011 Limited. I was close to 50 mph on a straight stretch with no traffic. I hit the Start/Stop button and killed the engine. Shifted to neutral, applied a little pressure to the brake and the engine fired right back up when the Start/Stop button was pressed. Haven't tried with the MKT yet. Fact is, the engine can be turned OFF while driving. It has been proven.

Peter

I'm older and hopefully smarter now, so I've tried to refrain from commenting in this thread....but really, really, really???? I darn well better be able to cut power to the engine whenever, at whatever speed, vehicle attitude or rpm I need to - for the reasons mentioned in earlier posts and many more. The only time there would be a safety issue is if I could not shut the vehicle down when I need to shut it down. As an aside, my Xsport restarts in neutral with light brake application at any speed I've tried it. How do I know this? Because I practiced this and many other emergency situation simulations with my car before I put myself on the road with it for any length of time. Practice, familiarize yourself with your vehicle, practice more. What a novel concept, huh? Besides, it's fun :thumbsup::D

Too many nanny controls with too many "drivers" relying solely on the car to "take of them". You can open the door and jump out of the car at 80 mph also. Better watch out, nothing to stop you from doing that either.

Know your car, focus on your driving, leave the headphones at home and, if you're really concerned about safety, take some real driving lessons at Skip Barber, Bondurant, etc (not ego lap rides, real multi-day lessons). Take responsibility and quit expecting the car to protect you from your own actions.

I'm older and hopefully smarter now, so I've tried to refrain from commenting in this thread....but really, really, really???? I darn well better be able to cut power to the engine whenever, at whatever speed, vehicle attitude or rpm I need to - for the reasons mentioned in earlier posts and many more. The only time there would be a safety issue is if I could not shut the vehicle down when I need to shut it down. As an aside, my Xsport restarts in neutral with light brake application at any speed I've tried it. How do I know this? Because I practiced this and many other emergency situation simulations with my car before I put myself on the road with it for any length of time. Practice, familiarize yourself with your vehicle, practice more. What a novel concept, huh? Besides, it's fun :thumbsup::D

Too many nanny controls with too many "drivers" relying solely on the car to "take of them". You can open the door and jump out of the car at 80 mph also. Better watch out, nothing to stop you from doing that either.

Know your car, focus on your driving, leave the headphones at home and, if you're really concerned about safety, take some real driving lessons at Skip Barber, Bondurant, etc (not ego lap rides, real multi-day lessons). Take responsibility and quit expecting the car to protect you from your own actions.

I couldn't agree more. And, wearing headphones while driving? What if your child opens a door (and you can't hear the alarm)? Do you have an older parent/grand parent that might open a door while driving (I've had this happen)? You need all of your senses while driving.Yeah, I turn the sound system up while driving, but not so much that I can't hear my grand daughters talking or alarms, if they go off. And I don't text etc. while driving. All of these new technological innovations are great, but they are supposed to help you concentrate on DRIVING, not listening to songs with headphones.

JMHO,
TW

I know this thread is kinda old, but has since been brought back to life.

I agree with the poster above about being older and refraining from posting here but I have to say something.

This is why your ignition will turn off the car while driving and will never change. There is too much liability on the other side of the decision not to do so.

ford explorer xlt 2016 keyless ignition shuts off accidentally

Doesn't the push button start force you to hold the button to turn the car off? I'd doubt Ford would allow the push button to turn off the car with one push while the car was moving. Did you accidentally hold the button?

It happened to me as well. Just a normal light touch will turning it off. It happened to my wife as well. Is very easy to happen. With a key is not as easy. I´ve been driving for over 25 years and I can assure you I never had an accidental turn off with a key. I just purchased the 2016 xlt a month ago and already between my wife and myself its happened 3 times. I think its too easy and therefore a safety hazard.

I've been driving cars for almost 40 years and I can assure you that I've never nor do I know of anyone that has accidentally turned off the car while driving. Well, except for a few on here. 3 times in a month? Check out the YouTube video on how to use voice commands for MFT.

It happened to me as well. Just a normal light touch will turning it off. It happened to my wife as well. Is very easy to happen. With a key is not as easy. I´ve been driving for over 25 years and I can assure you I never had an accidental turn off with a key. I just purchased the 2016 xlt a month ago and already between my wife and myself its happened 3 times. I think its too easy and therefore a safety hazard.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Despite the number of posts in this thread, you are actually only the 2nd person to have posted that this has happened. I can only guess it is due to the unfamiliarity with a new vehicle. As mentioned several times, the engine can be easily restarted should it happen again.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been driving cars for almost 40 years and I can assure you that I've never nor do I know of anyone that has accidentally turned off the car while driving. Well, except for a few on here. 3 times in a month? Check out the YouTube video on how to use voice commands for MFT.

If you own an explorer with the keyless feature I invite you to try it and then get back to me with your experience. Thanks.

Back