Wheel bearing noise? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel bearing noise?

mnmbarna

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.0 V6
So, on my 02 explorer, I'm having a grinding noise coming from the front driver side wheel when I turn right causing the vehicle's weight to shift to that left front wheel. I just had the front ball joints replaced, and about a year ago I replaced the cv axle shaft(from advance auto)and the wheel bearing hub assembly(from some online auto parts website...yeah, I know it was probably a risk). Now it sounds like the bearing is going bad again. Any ideas on if it might be anything else? There's no play when I jack it up and try to wiggle it. And, of course, I can't see what's going on under there while I'm driving. Any help is appreciated.

cv joint or hub/bearing. I also bought (yet to install) a bearing from a no-name 3rd party supplier and have yet to install it. Guy I bought from said he sold his truck because it kept eating bearings... well no wonder if you keep using the same stuff. I know going in that it's low-cost, so likely won't last me much beyond a year, but at least I only paid $40. Jack it up with all wheels off the ground, and try to spin the wheel by hand - you should feel the roughness in the bearing. If not, it's likely the CV joint. Any chance of warranty on these, as you put them in last year?

Spinning it will still cause the half shaft to rotate, so you'll feel resistance no matter what. Wheel movement test can not be measured by the eye on these and the wheel actually has to be off.

Sounds like the bearing to me.

Back