2015 Ford Explorer Sport Performance not as good as MKT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Ford Explorer Sport Performance not as good as MKT

The Navigator is Lincoln's version of the Ford Expedition, which is a truck platform. The Explorer is built on a heavily modified Ford Taurus sedan. If you look at the F-150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, it has similar torque numbers as you posted for the Navigator. Not surprising given that they are both trucks. Ford probably had to limit this in the Explorer / MKT to protect the car transmission.

The transmission is almost certainly the limiting factor.
The other thing that is important to note is that two engines that are called 3.5L ecoboost are not necessary identical... nearly all german turbo'ed engines come in multiples variants to suit various models and performance criteria.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Navigator is Lincoln's version of the Ford Expedition, which is a truck platform. The Explorer is built on a heavily modified Ford Taurus sedan. If you look at the F-150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, it has similar torque numbers as you posted for the Navigator. Not surprising given that they are both trucks. Ford probably had to limit this in the Explorer / MKT to protect the car transmission.

So the reason why ford engineer is not put the same engine like MKT is because of Ex Sport do not have same transmission like MKT?

Excuse for my ignorance, what is the 412 mod? Link?

He meant to state that a $412.00 mod is available by buying the SCT tuner.

I wouldnt care if I bought the SHO, Lincoln or Explorer with the ecoboost...The one I bought would get atleast a tune, no matter what the stock numbers are.

Buzz

Well since we're on the tuner topic now, can anyone direct me to a discussion about which is better, the SCT or Livernois tune? The SCT is quite a bit cheaper if I remember correctly. I think the Livernois is $600?

Tony

I think no one will tell which one is better, both have pros and cons. Do your research, read respective threads. Talk to client support with both. It is a tough call and you to decide!

Just reviewed transmission in Ex Sport and MKT, SHO, they are all the same

So the bottle neck is not in the transmission

The transmission are all Ford 6F55

Well since we're on the tuner topic now, can anyone direct me to a discussion about which is better, the SCT or Livernois tune? The SCT is quite a bit cheaper if I remember correctly. I think the Livernois is $600?

Tony

I have a Livernois tune and am very pleased with it. I also bought it before the SCT was available.

If I had the choice now I would go SCT. I've used SCT for all my mustang tuning and most dyno tuners in my area all use the SCT platform.

The two big upsides of the SCT device:
1. Its almost $200 cheaper.
2. The SCT device is only locked to your vehicle when the aftermarket tune is loaded. If you decide to sell your vehicle you can put the factory tune back in the car and this will "unlock" the SCT device, which allows it to be used on other vehicles(provided you get the proper tune file for said other vehicle).

My Livernois tuner box is locked to my VIN for life, so if I sell my Ex it will just go with the vehicle.

I have a Livernois tune and am very pleased with it. I also bought it before the SCT was available.

If I had the choice now I would go SCT. I've used SCT for all my mustang tuning and most dyno tuners in my area all use the SCT platform.

The two big upsides of the SCT device:
1. Its almost $200 cheaper.
2. The SCT device is only locked to your vehicle when the aftermarket tune is loaded. If you decide to sell your vehicle you can put the factory tune back in the car and this will "unlock" the SCT device, which allows it to be used on other vehicles(provided you get the proper tune file for said other vehicle).

My Livernois tuner box is locked to my VIN for life, so if I sell my Ex it will just go with the vehicle.

Very cool, thanks for share your insight to this. I am still considering whether or not to tune it, right now for 2015 Ex sport is huge upgrade for me compared to my old Acura RDX

So the reason why ford engineer is not put the same engine like MKT is because of Ex Sport do not have same transmission like MKT?

Uh, that's not at all what I said. I was comparing the numbers that were posted for the Lincoln Navigator to the Explorer / MKT twins. Nowhere did I say that the Ecoboost engines or transmissions in the Explorer Sport or the MKT are different.

Vehicles that have largely the same under-the hood components (such as the MKT and the Explorer) can have differing torque and power curves. A lot depends on the tune. I don't think anyone is surprised that Ford tuned the powerplant differently in the MKT and Explorer Sport. As has been noted, you can get similar results with an aftermarket tune.

Uh, that's not at all what I said. I was comparing the numbers that were posted for the Lincoln Navigator to the Explorer / MKT twins. Nowhere did I say that the Ecoboost engines or transmissions in the Explorer Sport or the MKT are different.

Vehicles that have largely the same under-the hood components (such as the MKT and the Explorer) can have differing torque and power curves. A lot depends on the tune. I don't think anyone is surprised that Ford tuned the powerplant differently in the MKT and Explorer Sport. As has been noted, you can get similar results with an aftermarket tune.

Correct, aftermarket tune will give u a lot improvement. However MKT is using that high pressure injection instead of the tune, that make me wonder if that would be implemented in Ex Sport

Would a K&N Cold Air Kit and muffler system make much of a difference?

Dumb. Why not? Because the computer is too smart?

Basically, it will compensate for the slightly increased flows...

Usually Intakes and exhausts are beneficial with tunes...

Most will tell you, intakes (CAI's) don't provide much if anything... Exhausts will give you a little better sound, but HP gains maybe in the 5 to 10 range total if at all...

Basically, it will compensate for the slightly increased flows...

Usually Intakes and exhausts are beneficial with tunes...

Most will tell you, intakes (CAI's) don't provide much if anything... Exhausts will give you a little better sound, but HP gains maybe in the 5 to 10 range total if at all...

So you mean if wanna add intake and exhaust better add together with tune, add it along wont help? Is that right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you mean if wanna add intake and exhaust better add together with tune, add it along wont help? Is that right?

Upgrades are usually additive. A tune will do the most and is the best bang for the buck (400 to 600. a cai and exhaust will be about 700 plus and give very little return for the money. The days of cars benefiting from these bolt ones are mostly behind us. The factory leave little on the table with the exception of tunes.

My 2 cents is a tune and if you want a better sound, put on an exhaust.

Back