Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 68 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
There was a TSB mentioned in this thread. I don't know if it was the same one you are referring to since you didn't provide a TSB number. You should be able to find it by using the 'Search this thread' function and searching on "TSB".

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm experiencing a strong catalytic converter smell immediately after rapid acceleration (WOT) such as passing another vehicle on a 2-lane highway. What work exactly does the TSB entail? What parts are involved? Do dealers have them readily available? Is there confusion among dealer service depts about the TSB?

There was a TSB mentioned in this thread. I don't know if it was the same one you are referring to since you didn't provide a TSB number. You should be able to find it by using the 'Search this thread' function and searching on "TSB".

Peter

Yes, there was, but there was no mention of its name of identifying number :mad: My dealership has no idea what I'm talking about.

My mistake. Thanks for finding it.

Just had my '14 Limited in for the first 5K service at Bob Tomes Ford in McKinney Texas. They also performed the TSB 14-0130. When I picked up the car I tested and tested and re-tested and no smell whatsoever. Same parts list as Post 1312. They replaced the wheel moldings because they ruin the clips when they remove them. They also adjusted the mounting sheet metal for my windshield cowl and no more buzzing. They did an excellent job and I highly recommend them if you live in the North Texas area.

Sorry, I jumped the gun. After driving at highway speed today and repeating the test the smell is back and even worse than before. I took it back to the dealer today.

Welcome to the Forum 4Raven.:wavey:

Peter

Any word/update over there in the States as to what happened to that woman who filed a suit against Ford for the foul odor in the Explorer?

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I posted. I got very little traction with the dealer I bought the car from, but I did notice that the gov't has gotten involved. I apologize if this is old news.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/nhts...cabin-of-late-model-ford-explorers-1403276479

That said, I'm not sure this problem has anything to do with the A/C. I was running last week (10/7) with the windows up and all climate completely off but I tached it up to about 4500 RPMs and the smell came into the vehicle. It makes me think it is something to do with the cats burning off or just getting really hot under heavy loads. This was the first time I experienced this without the A/C on. I've also tested with the rear on/off and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The only statement I received from the dealer was they thought it could be running lean at high RPMs, which if that is the case, it makes me concerned the engine has already been damaged from detonation even though it only has 11,000 miles on it. It also seems like it would have started fouling plugs. They never tested it though because they never followed up with me despite several calls. At this point, I'm not so sure how well Ford will stand behind the vehicle anyway and I'm done with Ted Russell Ford in Knoxille, TN. I'm sad to say that I have probably bought my last Ford entirely. It'll take a dollar-for-dollar swap from corporate to change my mind.

This has been happening since day one. They won't fix it. Just have to live with it. Sad but true.

... They never tested it though because they never followed up with me despite several calls...

Hi mrnTNfan,

I'll be happy to arrange for a follow-up call from your regional customer service manager. Since you and I have been in contact before, all I'll need from you is a PM with a verification of your best daytime phone number and your current mileage.

Crystal

What octane fuel is everyone using that has this problem? And what about fuel with ethanol in it? Would higher octane fuel make a difference? Would pure gas (no ethanol) make a difference? Just a thought. My new 2015 Sport is coming in November, and I will be running 100% pure gas in it for the most part.

It matters not what octane fuel, real gas or corn alcohol content, or even the brand of fuel used. This smell is hit or miss in not only Ford. I and others on this forum have never had this "smell" in our Ex's, and I run the hell out of mine, but I do know it exists because I have been in vehicles that have it.
The only advice I can give you is to say some prayers or cross your fingers that your Ex will be one of the non stinky ones......lol.

I doubt the gas would make a difference unless you are experiencing a 'sulphur' type smell. Since the amount of sulphur in gasoline is not regulated, it can vary from brand to brand. When catalytic convertors first came out, this smell was not unusual but it was usually noticeable by the occupants of the following vehicle.
The majority of the posts here seem to be about exhaust smell gases coming into the cabin and that is the real issue. Why are exhaust gases finding their way inside?

Peter

Hello everyone, I thought I would introduce myself. I have trolled this thread for about 2 weeks now making my way through the 68 pages of replies, and I thought it was time to join in.

I purchased a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited in April and I am having the burning/sulfur smell that everyone is talking about on here. I was hoping that in the 3 years this thread began there would have been a fix from Ford, but it doesn't seem so. I had the TSB performed about 2 months ago (at 3k miles) and the problem persisted.

My explorer is the 6cyl, purchased in Dallas and one post mentioned whether people had the automatic lift gate and maybe it wasn't closing properly, mine has this. Additionally, I have tried varying types of fuel and the problem continues so we can rule that out. I purchased a CO meter about 3 months ago and monitored the levels both regular and under WOT and they were 0ppm regular acceleration and about 13ppm under WOT. After the TSB I switched to another CO meter and returned the 1st one, and now I'm not registering anything, however, it could be because the new unit just isn't picking it up because I certainly still smell it.

I also read that it could be the cats, but to me the issue isn't necessarily where the smell is coming from, but rather how it's making its way into the cabin (esp on recirc with the rear ac off).

I noticed the rear AC drain tube is at the rear right of the vehicle, has anyone tried plugging that up temporarily to see if the problem persists? At this point I wish someone had the ability to put this vehicle in a smoke chamber or something to see where/how this smell is entering the vehicle.

I hope to get this fixed before our 1st child comes at the end of November.

Welcome to the Forum Father2be.:wavey:

Peter

I had the smell on my 2013 when I bought it new. they did repair it and I can only smell it now when I really step on it on.

I SAID IT BACK THEN AND I SAY IT NOW IT SMELLS LIKE A CATALYTIC
CONVERTOR.

WHY? THE ONLY THING I CAN RELATE IT TO IS WHEN I WAS BEFORE I RETIRED I WOULD EXPERIENCE THE EXACT SAME SMELL COMING FROM THE CRUISER AFTER A HIGH SPEED CHASE OR AN INNER CITY CHASE AT HIGH LOW SPEEDS. THE EXACT SAME SMELL!

I am sure the other officers on this site can confirm the same smell in there cruisers after a high speed chase. Maybe they are putting cheap convertors back in the cars like they did in the 80's (that is when I smelled the odor). I know there were a couple times I thought the cruiser was going to catch on fire because it was just cherry red under the car. The one time we did have to put on a new convertor.

But it still should not be coming into the car with the windows rolled up. The exhaust is still some how coming in.
Just my opinion from my limited experience:scratch:

... I had the TSB performed about 2 months ago (at 3k miles) and the problem persisted...

Welcome to the forum, Father2be! I want to escalate this to your regional customer service manager so they can help. All I'll need from you is a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm still battling with the issue and had it in to the dealer twice, including having the tsb done. Tired of people calling, but offering no solutions. Way too many people complaining about this, and the dealers act like they've never heard of it. I have a 2yr old and a 3 month old that I will NOT take in my 2014 limited. The smell IS exhaust. I put a few drops of citrus oil on the exhaust tips, and guess what I smell when I accelerate????? Oranges! So, it's evident that the exhaust fumes are getting in somewhere in the rear. I'm suspecting the tailgate catch and weatherstripping are to blame. It's always been hard to close the hatch, and I'm betting once I tap off the seam and go for a run, the smell will be mitigated. Will report back. If I'm right, ford owes me lol

Back