Installing HID? Read this first. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing HID? Read this first.

They are projection headlamps and are fine. The problem is when people install these kits in non-projection style assemblies, the glare is horrible. That's the meat and potatoes of what that snippet of information is regarding

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are projection headlamps and are fine. The problem is when people install these kits in non-projection style assemblies, the glare is horrible. That's the meat and potatoes of what that snippet of information is regarding
According to the Ford techs the housings have to be changed. This was noted on another post some time ago.

Peter

According to the Ford techs the housings have to be changed. This was noted on another post some time ago.

Peter

I totally Agree , even the OEM Headlights with projector for explorer is horrible ,
the retrofit source has advised me to buy Evox-R projector , I will install retrofits soon and remove the Halogen projector .

This thread though!

Well, I just did what I did for all of my cars

Went to DDMtuning.com, looked up the bulb size for the 2014 Sport (9005) and order a set of 35w 5000k HiD Conversion kit. I always order relays because it's almost impossible to tell what the car is going to do.

I installed them in 5 minutes. I even ordered some LED fog lights to match-- just wanted them for looks, didn't need to blind everyone with my fogs.

The high beams have nothing to do with the 9005 bulbs, it's operated by the car. They're just light bulbs. 4600k is close to sunlight but it looks like crap on a car, don't do HIDs if you go under 5k-- I bought my fiance' a Q50 and all of it's lighting came standard at 5k and looks perfect.

As for the glass on the projector, it's not very clear- but still has a decent blue cut off. It's no TSX but you can go for a custom refit if you really are that **** about how sharp your cut off is.

One post, One paragraph, the end.

hid damage??

Welcome to the Forum Ecoboost365.:wavey:
Read post 55 above. In order to do a proper conversion, the headlght housing must also be changed. Many members have activated the amber lights on their Explorers.

Peter

I have just bought a 2013 explorer, the previous owner had used HID bulbs only = no kit or other changes. the dealer had to change back to the original bulbs when sold. I find i can't see at all at night. the hi beams point too high to be useful and the regular headlights seem to aim left.Could there have been damage to housing ect. due to the bulb only change-over?

The headlights can be adjusted vertically but not horizontally. There are many here you have not changed the housing and I don't recall seeing any posts about the improper aim being a result of damage. You can check your light pattern by comparing it to the diagram in your Owner's Guide.
Do you know if the dealer checked the aiming of the lights after they changed the bulbs?
It would also be helpful for the members if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it always shows in the margin.

Peter

sorry - its an xlt. the dealer checked the aiming and light pattern, but said it was the best he could do. i don't feel safe driving at night, too many moose and deer around.
Is there any way the bulbs themselves could have been installed wrong?

HID kit without changing the Lens will result in uneven light distribution and glare and will violate DOT regulations , besides Halogen based size for example 9005 HID doesn't have the life of xenon sizes (d1s to D4s) , to fix that you need to buy the Xenon Projector that has xenon bulb housing and clear lenses this will cost you 500 $ but the result will be like luxury cars HID , proper distribution and OEM lighting .

The kits mentioned in that thread have addressed that lens issue.

Peter

Ok. I have a 2013 Sport as well. Short story is I want to put in the HID headlights and also fog lights. I have the HID upgrade bulbs right now in both, but that is not what I want. I want the brightness and the look of the true HID lights.

What exactly do I need to convert both headlights and fog lights. And can I keep the stock tinted light housings that came with the 13 Sport?

Thanks to all for the help.

I'm not really sure what all the negativity and misinformation is about. I just installed an HID kit into my '15 Sport with zero issues. Beam cutoff is about as perfect as I could hope for. All parts from TRS.

Tony

I'm not really sure what all the negativity and misinformation is about. I just installed an HID kit into my '15 Sport with zero issues. Beam cutoff is about as perfect as I could hope for. All parts from TRS.

Tony

My only guess is that the folks beating on HID kits for this application have not seen the actual results. The projectors in the sport are a near perfect match for conversion. The light cutoff is extremely well controlled and matches the factory version in an XLT to the point you can not tell which is which. Yes I've seen them side by side. After months of use I have yet to have the first oncoming driver flash me for being blinded. That in itself tells me it is fine. Is it "strictly" DOT approved?

No!

If the DOT police show up I guess I'll have to deal with it. Till then, I'm not going back.

You'll never convince the people who have spent the money to do a factory conversion that these systems work. Ever heard the fable about teaching a pig to sing? :rolleyes:

Since I just did a "proper" HID conversion, but I have done HID kits (with good results) before...how about we post some beam cutoff shots. you go first.

My only guess is that the folks beating on HID kits for this application have not seen the actual results. The projectors in the sport are a near perfect match for conversion. The light cutoff is extremely well controlled and matches the factory version in an XLT to the point you can not tell which is which. Yes I've seen them side by side. After months of use I have yet to have the first oncoming driver flash me for being blinded. That in itself tells me it is fine. Is it "strictly" DOT approved. No. If the DOT police show up I guess I'll have to deal with it. Till then, I'm not going back.

You'll never convince the people who have spent the money to do a factory conversion that these systems work. Ever heard the fable about teaching a pig to sing? :rolleyes:

Any chance you could send me the parts list of what you used. Sounds like you did exactly the same as I want to do to my Sport. And did you do the foglights as well?

Thanks.

I'll try to get a beam cutoff picture sometime this week.

I went with 50 watt Morimoto ballasts and their harness kit with 9006 XB35 4300K bulbs. Yes...9006 bulbs in a 9005 socket. I did this because TRS (The Retrofit Source) had the more expensive 9006 bulb (but not the 9005) and I wanted to go as high-quality as I could without doing a complete retrofit. I had to modify the 9006 bases quite a bit but they fit perfectly.

Tony

Here's a real world pic from the roads around my house. This is looking down a level stretch and stationary. First on high...

15343245281_ca17ac01c9_c.jpg

Here on low.

15323405996_42338f287c_b.jpg

In driving, the cutoff is below the trunk line of any cars bigger than Miatas. ;) Seriously, a car that sits low enough to have any issue would also have issues with the OEM version.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My cutoff is also below trunk lines. And I didn't have to adjust the headlights one bit after I installed the HIDs.

Tony

Back