Noise under driver wheel while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise under driver wheel while driving

bigsix

Reaction score
City, State
milwaukee, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer xlt
Good afternoon

a week or so ago I purchase a 99 ford explorer xlt awd for my son to delivery news papers. this past weekend we notice a sound coming for driver side wheel. he took it in that morning, the shop said it is the hub bearing. later he did it his self. but notice the sound is still there. Took it off, got another one, higher in price per the sales guy. yeap same sound. at a lost of words of what else it could be. higher speeds, louder it sounds. he notice a sort of a grind noise in a turn. any ideas.... thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum bigsix.:wavey:
Unfortunately you posted in the wrong Forum (2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer). The 5th generation is quite a bit different than the previous ones. I will move your thread to the proper forum.
Good luck.

Peter

What kind of noise? Under what conditions? We need more description to begin to guess.

Speed sensitive and grinding on turns may suggest a halfshaft CV joint. Could be something dragging in the brakes. Could be a bunch of other things too. Could even be on the other side and just sound like the front left.

Is the noise when turning left? Right? Both? Does it make noise in reverse as well as forward? Is it a grinding noise, clicking noise, low rumble, etc.?

I second rb's suggestions. If you don't notice anything wrong with the brake rotor or uneven wear between the L & R front brakes then it's probably the CV joint.

I have a 5.0 engine. The grinding noise is based on how fast im moving. In reverse you may hear it or its just me. But im sure I dont hear it. I had the pads and rotors just done. When I turn left sometimes its like a cracking noise but not all the time...thanks in advance.

I have a 5.0 engine. The grinding noise is based on how fast im moving. In reverse you may hear it or its just me. But im sure I dont hear it. I had the pads and rotors just done. When I turn left sometimes its like a cracking noise but not all the time...thanks in advance.

OK, time to remove the front drive shaft and go for a spin.

Be aware the transmission park pawl connects through the transfer case, without a front drive shaft in place the truck will want to move on an incline with the transmission in park.
However, removing the front drive shaft (prop shaft) will help to determine where the sounds are coming from. My bet is the front shaft has worn. It is a common issue with 5.0 AWD explorers.

I'm gonna go with front hubs/bearings.
These trucks literally eat through the bearings.

It's not hard to replace yourself.. if you can change brakes, you can probably change the hub.

I'm gonna go with front hubs/bearings.
These trucks literally eat through the bearings.

It's not hard to replace yourself.. if you can change brakes, you can probably change the hub.

He already replaced hubs 2 times, from what I read in 1st post.

He already replaced hubs 2 times, from what I read in 1st post.

My half asleep posts are great..

It could still be a bad bearing, stuff happens.
My bearing came with a broken ABS sensor, but it was too much trouble to exchange it for another one at the time cause I really needed it put on.

My bet is the front shaft has worn. It is a common issue with 5.0 AWD explorers.

Hey Turdle, got a little more info on this?

Im having a similar issue with my 5.0 AWD Mounty. I have replaced both hubs, both front axles, both upper control arms, and both sway bar end links. Also, new pads and rotors. Wheels and tires are brand new and balance has been verified. Have also had the alignment done. Not just throwing parts at it hoping the issue would go away, it all needed to be replaced anyway. That having been said...

I still have this vibration and growl that cant be heard or felt until I hit 60mph-ish and goes away-ish at 80mph... ish. Sound like the front shaft issue to you? This ones really got me scratching my head..

Hey Turdle, got a little more info on this?

Im having a similar issue with my 5.0 AWD Mounty. I have replaced both hubs, both front axles, both upper control arms, and both sway bar end links. Also, new pads and rotors. Wheels and tires are brand new and balance has been verified. Have also had the alignment done. Not just throwing parts at it hoping the issue would go away, it all needed to be replaced anyway. That having been said...

I still have this vibration and growl that cant be heard or felt until I hit 60mph-ish and goes away-ish at 80mph... ish. Sound like the front shaft issue to you? This ones really got me scratching my head..

I would remove the front shaft and go for a drive, see if it still vibrates.

Your problem could be worn joints in either drive shaft, or, possibly a tire out of balance. Are all tires same size and brand with even wear? They need to be.

Yep, as I said, all four tires and wheels are brand new. Tires were road force balanced when mounted to the rims, and besides all of that, the condition existed before I threw the new wheels n tires on her.. Also, I have replaced both u-joints in the rear shaft.

Ill pull that front shaft and take her for a spin.. I am aware that it will drift in park w/o it but I have flat ground and wheel chocks.

What exactly IS that common issue with the front shafts you had mentioned tho? The CV joint?

Yep, as I said, all four tires and wheels are brand new. Tires were road force balanced when mounted to the rims, and besides all of that, the condition existed before I threw the new wheels n tires on her.. Also, I have replaced both u-joints in the rear shaft.

Ill pull that front shaft and take her for a spin.. I am aware that it will drift in park w/o it but I have flat ground and wheel chocks.

What exactly IS that common issue with the front shafts you had mentioned tho? The CV joint?

You will probably find a small tear in the little rubber boot near the CV ( transfer case) end. Once this has happened the grease gets contaminated. notice how the "cup" faces forward to catch every mud clump and rock thrown at it.

You will also probably find it to be real sloppy and loose. You do need to completely remove it to inspect for this.

Back