• Register Today It's free!

New to me 2004 Explorer

Reklaw

Reaction score
City, State
Glen Rock, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLS
So I've had 2003 Escape since 2006 and I put 100k on it and it developed a misfire that I couldn't solve. I hate garages and it wouldn't handle the tongue weight on my new camper so I decided instead of throwing money into it I traded it yesterday for a 2004 Explorer XLS with 91k on it.

So, as a new Explorer owner what should I be aware of and look out for. I already have the ABS light coming on and off periodically and my Actron U-scan gives me the codes for it and I have found what I need to do to fix that. I also have a Cruise Control code that I think I have found how to fix on this forum. I know the dealer just got this thing from auction and it appears that someone spilled a large amount of soda all over the place recently so I just took all the seats and center console out to clean the carpet.

So I'll say it again. What is this year/generation of Explorer going to throw at me and annoy me with. By the way, it is the v6 4.0 with class II trailer hitch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I'll say it again. What is this year/generation of Explorer going to throw at me and annoy me with. By the way, it is the v6 4.0 with class II trailer hitch.

My own crystal ball is pretty cloudy, like the grounds in my coffee! Predicting the future, well, not too reliable. But, here's what has "gone down" with my own 2004: Bought Mar. 2010, 92,000 miles. Ran just fine, looked showroom. But I did notice the starter drive seemed to make quite a bit of clatter when it disengaged, just as the eng. started. Bought brand-new starter (NAPA), sounds EXACTLY the same. Now has 140,000 on it.

2011, about 100K, Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) was not engaging, Ford dealership scanned the flashing O/D OFF light, charged me $75, TCC solenoid not functioning. Boy, was I green still then. Ordered Ford Shop manual, that has helped, along with THIS FORUM. TCC failed 2000 miles from home, tech told me if I drove it back to MO from AZ, I would likely ruin the transmission. What bullsh!t! We drove it back with the torque converter doing exactly what all TCs have done since day1. No problem, burned a bit more gas than usual. I ordered a solenoid module on E-Bay, replaced it, working fine since.

One other problem arose. The following year, left for AZ again knowing a slight "grumble-like" sound was indicating trouble in the rear, I guessed differential bearing, or wheel bearing, as frequency of sound noise was low, not fast like a pinion bearing. It got worse while we were away, not horrible, but we did cover several thousand miles wondering as the noise got worse. Got home, stethoscope rear rotating parts, definitely a wheel bearing. Here'
s what it looked like when I tore the bearing apart:

wheel_10.jpg

Outer race was galled, but still had enough good area left to allow rollers to rumble their way around. Very much longer, and this condition would have crumbled rollers, and possible BIG trouble!

Supposedly, 3rd. gens. with 5R55W or S transmissions have experienced undue numbers of failures, but mine has only had the solenoid failure. The 5R55S was used with both engines. imp

Front upper ball joints, front and rear bearings, strut springs.
These parts commonly fail

2nd/overdrive in the transmission. Steel piston sliding against an aluminum bore - what could go wrong? The bore will eventually become oblong, and will allow fluid to seep past, preventing the application of the 2nd/overdrive band. This will leave you without 2nd/5th and could leave a $2500 hole in your bank account. A previous owner could have had this already (common to fail around 70,000 miles, but mine croaked at 100,000) and fixed it, but you won't know unless you remove the 2nd/5th piston and check visually. If this develops there is another possibility which I'm considering (if I need to) using a machined OEM piston with O-rings installed. If you need to do this, you should get the one for the intermediate piston also to save on a headache later on.

Plus, you know, the usual electrical gremlins, and occasional parasitic battery drawdown. But otherwise great trucks!

Thank you all for your feedback so far.

Imp, I think I have a wheel bearing that needs replaced now. I've done these on a cavalier (bolt on piece of cake) and on the front of the escape(pressed in myself). The noise doesn't change when turning so I think it's the rear.

Number4, thanks for pointing those out. I actually have a leaky strut on the rear and I would love to convert the struts to air springs but I haven't found a guide on how to do that yet.

zpn_by, thanks for scaring me. And believe me I have found that this car has a remote starter installed and I would like to remove it but I'm afraid to because it might release some of those electrical gremlins.

I have discovered on my own that a common problem is the heater blend flap actuator and I am going to have to replace that as winter is fast approaching and I am in Pennsylvania.

More:

Front wheel hub/bearing assemblies have also been notorious on these vehicles. I've replaced 3 of them but I'm at 250K miles.

Blend door for main climate control can be a problem for some.

Emergency brake assembly if you have 4 wheel disc brake setup is pretty crappy as well.

Rear climate control (if equipped) actuator failure is somewhat common.

Which transmission do you have?

More:

Front wheel hub/bearing assemblies have also been notorious on these vehicles. I've replaced 3 of them but I'm at 250K miles.

Blend door for main climate control can be a problem for some.

Emergency brake assembly if you have 4 wheel disc brake setup is pretty crappy as well.

Rear climate control (if equipped) actuator failure is somewhat common.

Which transmission do you have?

pet575,

I do have the 4 wheel disc brake set up. I'll deal with that as I need to.
Not sure which transmission I have but I believe from what I read there are only 2 and it depends on which engine I have. The engine is the V6/4.0L.

2004 Transmissions

2004s came with ONLY the 5R55S transmission, serving behind either the V-6 or the V-8. imp

zpn_by, thanks for scaring me.

Sorry Reklaw - I'm a little bit bitter right now, as that's what I'm looking at. I think I'm about to leave the explorer owners' club... had it with older vehicles needing upkeep and repair, think I'm going to get a new smaller car/CUV with a 4-cyl. Unless of course I can find a Mexican-market Ranger crew cab with the Diesel, 4x4, and a stick. Need a full backseat for the kids...

Good luck and enjoy! I liked my truck when it ran well. This however was the third strike, and it's out.

Back