Automatic and Siri Activation from the Wheel!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic and Siri Activation from the Wheel!!!

xder345

Reaction score
City, State
Durham, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

iOS 8 will also activate Siri if your phone is plugged in (charging), and you say "Hey, Siri"

http://www.imore.com/automatic-teams-ford-amazing-connected-car-experience

So this $99 OBDII dongle purports to add a host of features to Sync. It'll be available next week some time. I've added myself to the list to get updates, but if it really can activate Siri using the steering wheel touch-to-talk button then I'm in.

This works fine. I had the automatic device on my old car since Christmas. It's been on my Sport since July, when I got the update notice I set it up and it works better then going "Hey siri" since if you have the music turned up loud your phone won't hear you say that. You just hold down the voice button on the steering wheel for a few seconds and siri kicks on instead of the Ford voice.

Not selling to Canada. :(

The new version of Window Phone 8.1 (Update 1) allows you to "call" the phone to gain voice control over it. I press the voice control button and say "Call Cortana" and the phone connects and awaits my spoken commands. It is pretty cool and no extra money to spend.

These forms of expanded voice access are what is necessary to really take these infotainment systems to the next level. I would rather leave the car out of most of the interaction and leave it to control only basic functions (climate control, etc.). Let my phone control my music and navigation (a further extension of this is MirrorLink, which I hope all manufacturers, car and phone alike, support). We need to avoid locking into proprietary systems and keep it as open as possible.

Back