What kind of motor oil do you use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of motor oil do you use?

Tyleryac

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Just out of curiosity, what kind of motor oil do you use?

I use Valvoline High Millage Full Synthetic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use castrol high mileage synthetic blend on ally my v8 cars/truck, I like the color of it since its clear when new, it gets really dark at 4k miles which tells me time for a change. I only use Mobil 1 full synthetic (0w20) on my hybrid since it requires it.

Mobil 1 all the way! On everything. all 3 cars, 2 boats, 2 mowers, log splitter, and snow thrower. The two tractors dont. They hardly get used, but Shell diesel oil is best for that.

Royal purple or Castrol syntec change when dirty never check mileage

I'm using Mobile 1 High Mileage in my 05 Explorer.

Our 4.0 sohc in our 06 mustang (same as explorer motor) ran the Ford synthetic blend for 30k miles or so since the dealer did the changes every 5k miles.

Since then, we have been using Mobile 1 synthetic and Mag 1 synthetic with a Wix filters changed on average every 8k miles (somewhere between 6k and 9k).

We must be doing something right as there are now 267k miles on that motor...

In general, we only use synthetic with Wix filters (Mobile 1 or Mag 1 oil) and we keep our vehicles until 300k miles or so and then usually give them away.. Currently we have 3 vehicles with over 250k miles.

~Mark

I use Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil in my reman 4.0L engine (2005 Explorer) and use a Bosch Distance Plus #D3410 Oil Filter. I change the oil and filter every 4 months or so regardless of the mileage used, which is usually in the 2K range.

I use Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil in my reman 4.0L engine (2005 Explorer) and use a Bosch Distance Plus #D3410 Oil Filter. I change the oil and filter every 4 months or so regardless of the mileage used, which is usually in the 2K range.
Why? :scratch:

Why? :scratch:

Not that I agree with you that it's a "head scratcher", but it is a personal preference of mine and for a lousy $35 for a filter and oil change, it's well worth the money and new engine/warranty safeguards keeping the oil fresh. My new engine warranty calls for oil and filter changes no longer than every 6 months or 5k in miles or I can kiss my warranty coverage goodbye if I have a problem with the new motor. I'm not going to "nickel and dime it" to get another month or so before oil changes.

Unless the rebuilt engine seller is changing the oil, how would they know? UOA's won't tell them the interval. Just asking, thanks.

Unless the rebuilt engine seller is changing the oil, how would they know? UOA's won't tell them the interval. Just asking, thanks.

You have to show them (the warranty company, mine is Ford Motor Company, the reman engine builder) proof of your oil change records/purchases, dates the oil and filter were changed and mileage the oil change was done at, then they check the oil change mileage against the yearly state vehicle inspection showing your vehicles mileage. I'm not positive on this, but I think they can also do a search of any repairs you had done on your vehicle during the warranty period at any state registered repair shop and those receipts will also track your mileage on your vehicle. They have your VIN number and can look up your repair history if repairs were done at a state registered repair shop. If your records of your oil changes and mileage don't jive with them, you give them reason to deny any engine warranty coverage. I went thru all of this last year when my original engine's timing chain crapped out and I went to use the warranty I had purchased on my Explorer at the time of vehicle purchase. I bought a 3 year warranty and had 4 1/2 months left on it at the time the engine broke down in late Aug 2013. The warranty company made me supply them with all of my oil change records which include purchase receipts for oil change supplies and the mileages they were done at. They even asked me for copy of my vehicle purchase receipt from the dealership I bought my Explorer from as well as the warranty I purchased thru them. If I couldn't prove my oil change purchase receipts or that my personal records of mileage didn't coincide with the oil changes, they could and would have screwed me out of my warranty coverage which amounted to $5200 for the reman engine and install labor. Keeping accurate records and saving my oil change receipts saved my a$$ big time. This is why the $35 for an oil change is well worth the peace of mind. As of right now, I still have 2 years and 15 days left on my new engine warranty. BTW, don't know what "UOA's" are.

Mobile 1 or Pennzoil Platinum both full synthetic with Mobil 1 filter

Has anyone use the new Pennzoil Pure Plus?

I used pennzoil platinum this last time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went to my local Kmart today which is closing and everything is 10-30 % off. I got 5qts of Pennzoil pure plus for $24 with a purolator syn filter.

Back