lifted explorer problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lifted explorer problem

Reaction score
City, State
Craig Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer xlt
I have a 1993 ford explorer 2 door with 35 on it, has a 6" lift and 2"spacers and rear shackles. When it had 31s on it drove fine no issues (I know 8" of lift and 31" I run 34"tractor tire during hunting season). I put some 35s on it this weekend and now when I drive it over 40-45 it feels like a fat guys on the roof rock left to right. Its not a death wobble Its gives no wheel input its like body roll. Its just like some one is stand at the door pillar pushing back and forth. The shocks on the rear are new and the fronts have about 20000 miles on them. Was thinkin sway bars because I took them off a long time ago. Has new tie rods ball joints alignment But like I said it was fine with 31s. I tried a friends 33s off his ranger did the exact same thing.It still has the ttb in the front. I went and drove it some more yesterday and played with tire pressures no change. But it did feel like it started in the rear of the explorer then when it got going it continued to the front. I checked all the rear hardware everything is tight. The shocks on the rear are mounted to the axle not on the spring, axle hanger like factory was.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More than likely its because your driving around with no sway bars. Being that tall, with no sway bars is gonna have some adverse effects on your vehicles handling capabilities. I'd put some sway bars on it and see what happens. I sometimes leave my sway bars off when coming home from the trail. I run super soft springs with the TTB and I've been told, and it feels like it sometimes, that my truck leans a lot when I turn. When I put the sway bars back on, it handles like a stock ex.

That's kinda were I was headed but It does it when I am running down a straight road it starts to do it real mild at 40 then the faster you go it just get worse and more violent. I kinda feels like you have a trailer on and its starting to sway back and forth. Sorry I wish I could describe it better.

I had the exact same thing happen to mine after I lifted it. I did an alignment and the problem went away. When is the last time you had an alignment done?

Also, what steering setup are you running?

Mine feels like that when I have both sway bars off..

cloaked_chaos It was aligned when I did ball joints and tie rods. It drove perfect with the 31s on it. this all came about when I jumped to 35!!! It is the stock steering components other that the drop pitman arm.

jd4242 did it do that when you were going straight like the back end was caught in between to wakes like a boat??

cloaked_chaos It was aligned when I did ball joints and tie rods. It drove perfect with the 31s on it. this all came about when I jumped to 35!!! It is the stock steering components other that the drop pitman arm.

jd4242 did it do that when you were going straight like the back end was caught in between to wakes like a boat??

Yep..faster you go the worse it gets..I run a stock front bar and second gen rear bar with drop links for all..doesn't do it when there are in place, or should say it doesn't do it till you hit high speeds like 70+...I didnt have a issue on my 32s, then my 33s I felt it so front bar stayed in and put the rear bar in with my 36..

I should also mention I went to jd arms with the 33 and 36.plus I dont run any polly bushing and my rear springs are SHOT now..

Yep..faster you go the worse it gets..I run a stock front bar and second gen rear bar with drop links for all..doesn't do it when there are in place, or should say it doesn't do it till you hit high speeds like 70+...I didnt have a issue on my 32s, then my 33s I felt it so front bar stayed in and put the rear bar in with my 36..

I should also mention I went to jd arms with the 33 and 36.plus I dont run any polly bushing and my rear springs are SHOT now..

Well I will try the sway bars sounds like we have the same problem. Did you build your longer links or did you buy them? I still have all the stock bars from my 93 just would need the links lengthened.

is it more of a body wobble/wiggle? I tightened all my shocks and put new sway bar links in the front (No rear sway bar) and it got rid of mine except for when im super loaded with the RTT on

Well I will try the sway bars sounds like we have the same problem. Did you build your longer links or did you buy them? I still have all the stock bars from my 93 just would need the links lengthened.

JD arms ;)

I had the same problem a while back. I did a thread on here and heard all the bushings....., sway bars.... And what not. I turned out that my tires were too low. I bought them from a guy and through them on without checking the psi. My bad. Anyway, new air and straight and steady. Good luck

If you went from 31s to 35, you need an alignment.

is it more of a body wobble/wiggle? I tightened all my shocks and put new sway bar links in the front (No rear sway bar) and it got rid of mine except for when im super loaded with the RTT on[

Going to try the sway bars and maybe stiffer shock on it. Thanks guys I will keep u posted. Have to wait for the rain to quit so I can go find my parts.

I had the alignment checked after the 35 because that was my first thought. The alignment is still in spec. I have built a couple of rbv and have jump tires from 31 to tractor tires to 36 to 34 ltb and never had to have it aligned. My old ranger started with 32 and went clear to 36 and drove awesome.

What about you sway bar links? Can you order longer one I haven't even checked?

I ""think"" I got them from skyjacker or superlift..definitely one of the two.rear bar is just a stock 2nd gen..make sure you put it on right..

Front bar will make the biggest difference tho

A couple of other things to think about. Check your load range on your tires. If your 31s are D or E then you will notice a huge difference in handling because most 35s are only a C load range. Also did you use the same wheels? You need at least a 9.5" wheel with a 35 12.50 to get a good contact patch of rubber on the pavement, otherwise the ballooning of the tire causes you to feel like you're riding on a ball. (Sway bars are still nice to have and highly suggested for street use...)

Is that drop pitman arm a Skyjacker # FA600 arm?
If not, then guaranteed that is at least part of your problem (if not the whole problem).

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

Not necessarily... Only if you also change the wheels to ones having a different offset will you need to realign it.

A couple of other things to think about. Check your load range on your tires. If your 31s are D or E then you will notice a huge difference in handling because most 35s are only a C load range. Also did you use the same wheels? You need at least a 9.5" wheel with a 35 12.50 to get a good contact patch of rubber on the pavement, otherwise the ballooning of the tire causes you to feel like you're riding on a ball. (Sway bars are still nice to have and highly suggested for street use...)

The tire are both c load range and I did go to a 10 wide wheel. I played with the tire pressures a bunch but not really changed. One nice thing is I live in a small town so I can drive it around town and never have to get above 40 lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that drop pitman arm a Skyjacker # FA600 arm?
If not, then guaranteed that is at least part of your problem (if not the whole problem).

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

I don't think it is a skyjacker, it came with the BDS lift that I took of my solid axle built. What is really weird to me is that all the same set up was on the four door explorer before I went to a solid axle build and it drove fine for a couple year, the longer wheel base maybe?

Back