Whats the spline count of the output shaft 4r70w | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats the spline count of the output shaft 4r70w

Blackbox19

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer
Its from a 99 explorer AWD with 5.0.
I need to know what trans output shaft spline count is.
Some say 31 others say 28 others say 23

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have one in my garage for a 2000 and it has 31 and from what I have read, this is the same as a 99. You may want to look in the transmission section of this forum as well. Not sure what you are trying to do.

IIRC it's 31 for the Explorer. They do make others, but I believe those are for the Panther platform vehicles.

Thanks... Another question. How long is the trans WITH a transfer case

There are two different lengths, one for the 2WD and one for the AWD. The trans section of this forum should have the lengths. The output shafts are different lengths and that is not an easy swap so the AWD and 2WD 4R70w are not interchangeable unless you swap the output shaft.

Yeah I tried looking at that site. WAy more info on there than I could look thru on a phone.

I have a AWD trans and t case that I am installing and need to know how long they are
I dont have a 2x4.

This is for a project buggy so getting plans drawn to handle where to put stuff

any one. This is holding up my project. i would measure the trans in my other explorer but its 300 miles away. And my daughter is not getting under there to measure it

Back