How to: - 98 5.0 AWD Auto to 5spd M5R2 and 4406 M | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 98 5.0 AWD Auto to 5spd M5R2 and 4406 M

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Yeah I have a complete setup from a ranger prebled and ready. So 70 with 33's and 3.73 yealds 2400rpm's. Mine with auto at 80 mph and 33's with 4.10's yealds 2500rpms.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also dose anyone know if the 1356 would fit? I have both an np205 and a 1356

I think it will size wise, does it bolt up to the tranny?

I think it will size wise, does it bolt up to the tranny?

The 1356 came with the tranny but I read it was to big so idk I can use the 205 it just dose not have as low of a low range.

Do you know where your VSS is? I did the the swap on a 97 limited and my vss is located in the tail section of the transfer case. I think I remember looking at 1356 in the junkyard and noticing that there isn't a port for a vss on the tail piece.

Do you know where your VSS is? I did the the swap on a 97 limited and my vss is located in the tail section of the transfer case. I think I remember looking at 1356 in the junkyard and noticing that there isn't a port for a vss on the tail piece.

1997-99 was the time period when Ford changed the VSS from the trans to the diff, but not all vehicles at the same time. The Explorer changed at the 1998 model, F150 and other trucks changed in 1999. So a 1998 Expedition for example will have the VSS still in the transfer case.

Mine is on the trans but the 1356 and the np205 I have are old enuff they both have it. But from what I have read the 1356 is to big to fit in a 95-01 explorer.

Hi Guys!

Thank You!

This is a great thread. It helped me out a lot.

I'm currently planning a m5od swap in my 96 5.0l 2wd and was wondering if anyone knew if it's possible to swap a pre-91' m5OD (has vss hole) tailhousing maybe even pre 97 on a 97+ M5OD so I can plug a VSS in the factory location (96's Explorers are on the trans, not the rear).

If not, any way to change over the rearend without swapping the whole thing out?

Anyone ever use an electronic speedometer calibrator and/or just converted/wired the signal directly from the abs sensor right into the vss?

Trying to find a solution for the speedo without having someone fabricating a huge wheel and sensor mount on the output shaft/yoke.

Thanks again guys.

Hobo

Hi Guys!

Thank You!

This is a great thread. It helped me out a lot.

I'm currently planning a m5od swap in my 96 5.0l 2wd and was wondering if anyone knew if it's possible to swap a pre-91' m5OD (has vss hole) tailhousing maybe even pre 97 on a 97+ M5OD so I can plug a VSS in the factory location (96's Explorers are on the trans, not the rear).

If not, any way to change over the rearend without swapping the whole thing out?

Anyone ever use an electronic speedometer calibrator and/or just converted/wired the signal directly from the abs sensor right into the vss?

Trying to find a solution for the speedo without having someone fabricating a huge wheel and sensor mount on the output shaft/yoke.

Thanks again guys.

Hobo

The whole rear end would have to be swapped to place the VSS there. Note the V8's have the extra suspension struts, V6 rears don't have the mounts for them.

The electronic speedometer recalibration devices should work, it's a four wire device(you cut the wire going to the speedometer). I don't know if they do work with these models, I have one on my 91 Lincoln.

The headers for older Fords will not fit the 95-01 Explorer. Your front upper control arm mounts are in the way, as is the steering shaft. A custom manifold is about the only way to do it, log style being easiest to make.

You have to be careful with the change in VSS from the trans to the diff. Not only did they change the location, but they also changed the type of signal. And even more...the pcm no longer processes the signal. The VSS is processed by the ABS module then sent to the different components that need it. The ABS module reads three signal...both front wheels and the rear diff. You will get a VSS signal as long as one of the three works. Your ABS may not work if one signal fails, but the VSS will. So just using a diff mounted VSS in a vehicle that is built using a trans mounted VSS may not work at all.

You have to be careful with the change in VSS from the trans to the diff. Not only did they change the location, but they also changed the type of signal. And even more...the pcm no longer processes the signal. The VSS is processed by the ABS module then sent to the different components that need it. The ABS module reads three signal...both front wheels and the rear diff. You will get a VSS signal as long as one of the three works. Your ABS may not work if one signal fails, but the VSS will. So just using a diff mounted VSS in a vehicle that is built using a trans mounted VSS may not work at all.

That also suggests that a matching ABS module might be needed. That's why I'm going with a Mustang ABS for my old 91 Lincoln, and not the more common Explorer ABS.

If the recalibration device is tried, as I mentioned, it goes in the speedometer wire, not any of the other VSS/OSS/PCM/ABS wires. Hopefully that wire signal is the same for all versions of a Ford electronic speedometer.

That is a good idea Don. You going with 4 channel ABS in the Lincoln?

I have not seen what the conditioned signal (post ABS module) in the Explorer. I have a scope...I should look. But then again, I don't have an earlier vehicle to compare it to.

We have been playing around with 8.8" Ford differentials in F bodies. (GOD FORBID!! I swore and mentioned GM!!!) I have an 01 Fire Chicken I've been playing with. It has 3 channel ABS. If it were four, it would be a piece of cake to swap by using axles with rings on them. But where it's 3 channel, the ring in the diff has to match the front signals...and that isn't easy. Right now, we have a guy machining a ring. Looks like that is working. But these speed signals are critical to get right. A recalibration device may be a Godsend in the long run.

That is a good idea Don. You going with 4 channel ABS in the Lincoln?

I have not seen what the conditioned signal (post ABS module) in the Explorer. I have a scope...I should look. But then again, I don't have an earlier vehicle to compare it to.

We have been playing around with 8.8" Ford differentials in F bodies. (GOD FORBID!! I swore and mentioned GM!!!) I have an 01 Fire Chicken I've been playing with. It has 3 channel ABS. If it were four, it would be a piece of cake to swap by using axles with rings on them. But where it's 3 channel, the ring in the diff has to match the front signals...and that isn't easy. Right now, we have a guy machining a ring. Looks like that is working. But these speed signals are critical to get right. A recalibration device may be a Godsend in the long run.

Sounds like fun... and you might retrofit a Ford ABS unit in the Fire Chicken too. I swapped a 1997 police Crown Vic ABS, entire system, into my 95 CV that didn't have ABS. That was a four channel system, which required two brake lines front to rear.

I don't think the 99-04 Mustangs had four channel, just three I believe. I'd do it either way, I think the only option was the traction control units, which I've read are not worth the trouble/expense.

Hi! I have a thread over at the ranger station for my build but I had a few questions for you. I put an explorer V8 into my ranger but used a manual transmission much like you installed in your explorer. What did you use to load tunes from Bama to get rid of your check engine lights. Also how much did they charge for the work? I'm looking to get mine registered but can't until the CEL's are gone. Thankyou!

finally caught up with reading this thread! do the v8 trucks have a rev limiter when in park or neutral like my v6 sport does? i think it revs to 3300 rpm. if the v8s don't have this ****block of a device its obviously no problem, but if they do, how do we shut that feature off for when my 01 Sport gets a 5.0? ill be doing a power train trade between my truck and a v8 4 door within a few months, and then a month or so after that ill get the m5r2 and a manual Tcase. How much body lift is absolutely necessary? i don't really believe in body lifts, as i would rather do all suspension lift with SOA and coil over conversion in the front+custom control arms and CV axles

I pushed mine to 5k with no problem.

ok so from the factory, before the trans swap mod, does the 5.0 have a rev limiter set to 3200 when in park or neutral? was it just the 4.0 trucks that had this? and does that mod with the wiring diagram cancel the rev limiter with the computer thinking that the trans is in neutral?

ok so from the factory, before the trans swap mod, does the 5.0 have a rev limiter set to 3200 when in park or neutral? was it just the 4.0 trucks that had this? and does that mod with the wiring diagram cancel the rev limiter with the computer thinking that the trans is in neutral?

As far as I know there isn't one, and I just cut all the wires except the nuteral ones and I wired them to the clutch safety switch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know that this is an old thread, before anyone chops me up.

I just wanted to contribute something. I built a 95 Mustang using a 1996 Explorer PCM, its wiring harness and PCM - along with a t5 (manual). My car also developed the intermittent misfire. Disconnecting pin 58 for the VSS solved the problem and I still have a working speedometer.

Back