2002 4WD Dash Lights Blinking, etc. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4WD Dash Lights Blinking, etc.

You may have to search back in the forum to find other fixes then. I am sure the answer is in the forum or some one can guide you towards a resolution. Sorry, ask the forum, they will help. Good luck.

I still need to check wire. I am now certain the 4X4 is not engaging. Is there a wire that I need to search for to test?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am sorry but I do not know. You also put a 2004 into a 2002, is the wiring different? I thought the control module was different or in a different location also?

You will have to search back on this topic and see the guys that started it. I got my info from them. Put your questions out there, the forum will help you. That is all I know, I am not a mechanic, and if I was years ago I don't remember.

Good luck:thumbsup:

I am sorry but I do not know. You also put a 2004 into a 2002, is the wiring different? I thought the control module was different or in a different location also?

You will have to search back on this topic and see the guys that started it. I got my info from them. Put your questions out there, the forum will help you. That is all I know, I am not a mechanic, and if I was years ago I don't remember.

Good luck:thumbsup:

The tranny's are exactly the same. I will be addressing the ground wire this week to see if this fixes the problem if not I will look at the 4x4 module next. Thank you for your help.

My '98 had both the Hi and Lo lights flashing when it wouldn't go into 4WD. My problem was corrosion build-up on the battery terminals. After I cleaned them, I reconnected the negative first. Before I reconnected the positive, I turned the key on for the reset. Then, I turned it off and reconnected the +. The reset procedure also cleared the Check-Engine light which had been on because of a catalytic converter code. Thank you for mentioning the reset procedure. If you hadn't mentioned it, I might not have made the (mental) connection to the corrosion.

Did my 2002 today and a 2004.

2002 had the blinking light, I changed the 4x4 module, no luck still blinked. Checked the ground wire... still intact. I still had 4x4 high, just no auto 4x4. Tried the reset.. still blinked. Changed the sensors out in the transfer case with some spares I had. All fixed. If anyone knows a trick on the sensor removal without breaking them.. that would be nice to know.

2004 had the same problem as sgtdon's no switching to high and no auto.... ground wire was broke.. fixed it... back in business. Glad I did that one first.

Back