Dirty rotton A$$HOLES!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dirty rotton A$$HOLES!!!!!

CalifLove

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
So I'm having dinner with my girl and my folks celebrating both of our anniversaries and my mom and I's birthdays at what is typically a fairly nice restaurant.

There is some commotion around the staff and one server asks me if anyone at the table has an Explorer because the lights are on. I think to myself hmm, that's not really possible that it is mine as our cars lights go off after x time - built in battery saver. Didn't think much of it - I told him I did have an explorer and asked if the one in question was black. He went away and a few seconds later a manager came over and informed me that my ex had been broken into.

The mother effers broke the rear hatch glass and grabbed my backpack.

Ironically, today, I just had received my SCT tuner from Mike over at EcoPowerParts. In my rush out the door today from work I threw that in my backpack, along with the new plugs, Tstat and MAP sensor I purchased last week as a part of their unleased deal. So the scum of the earth got off with all of that plus whatever other random crap was in my bag that I cant remember right now. The funny part is I had to take my laptop out of the bag to make room for the boxes of the parts and my laptop was sitting on the floor in the 2nd row only partially covered by the passenger side.

Anyway, I'm just venting. Pissed at crappy humans and pissed at myself for not removing my backpack when I got home prior to going out to dinner...AND pissed that I have to deal with replacing the glass which I am sure is not cheap and I swear.. half of it has fallen INTO the door... how the hell I am going to get that out, I don't even know - anyone have experience there?

Turns out the security guy heard the glass break and apparently hurried over that way but he missed him by a few feet. The guy had jumped in his car and was already backing up away from my car by the time he got near him, and by that time the guard could do nothing apparently. The looser then sped away in his crappy little Honda. The guy literally had like 20 seconds to do this. I parked under a light about 20' from the entrance of the restaurant...how brazen is this crack head??!?

Took some pics... still had the box from the Airaid intake - luckily I had already installed that earlier this week, all that is in the box is my old intake... guess that was too big for them to take. effin crappy humans.. HATE thieves!

brokenwindow.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That really sucks man!!! Does the restaurant and any nearby place have cameras you can look at to possibly catch who did it?

Man that's such a feeling of be violated. Sorry to hear about this.

With the tinted privacy glass, surprised he could see in. Almost sounds like someone followed you and was after that backpack, though it was probably random.

I'd check Criag's List for your area and eBay to see if any of these items are for sale as I don't think a fence would have much interest and notify the cops if you see them online.

Sorry to see this, hopefully Torrie can deactivate the X4 tuner so they can't use it.
Let me know when you figure out what you're going to do, I'll try and help out as much as I can.

OUCH!!!!!! There is a special place in hell for thieves and cheats. This is EXACTLY why on my PI I've got a cargo partition (pro-gard) and side and rear window screens (troy). Ive even gone as far as to disconnect the button for the rear hatch, and use my key to get inside. Someone will have to really destroy things to get in the back of my truck now, and other than some punk POS breaking my windows for the hell of it, a smash-n-grab isnt possible anymore.

Man that's such a feeling of be violated. Sorry to hear about this.

With the tinted privacy glass, surprised he could see in. Almost sounds like someone followed you and was after that backpack, though it was probably random.

I'd check Criag's List for your area and eBay to see if any of these items are for sale as I don't think a fence would have much interest and notify the cops if you see them online.

Sorry to hear thats brutal, but TMG is right, its likely headed for Craigslist as thats where most stolen property goes nowadays. If you find it call the local POPO and see if they will do a plainclothes officer meet and greet.

I would agree with TMG thats really weird to see something through privacy glass. Any chance someone watched you load the backpack?

Also I would take it to a dealer so they pop off all liftgate plastic and vacuum out the glass, last thing you need is glass rattle now.

Man I can't imagine what was going through your mind that night.

Hopefully your insurance can help alleviate some of the costs of window replacement or any possible body/paint damage from the a-hole's actions. The glass that fell into the window could possibly be removed if the interior tailgate panels are removed. If some slipped into the small openings of the metal body/frame, then the entire tailgate would have to be removed and the glass painstakingly picked out or shaken out of the holes.

Aside from craiglist, check other local online classifieds. While some punks are still dumb enough to post their loot on CL, others are beginning to wise up and seek other places to post.

I agree with others in that it appears very suspicious for the someone to target a specific thing like your bag and possibly laptop. Yea they could have spotted you, your items, and then followed you. But also explore the other possibilities. Aside from checking local businesses for camera feed, you might also consider people who know you. People who work in certain industries/fields are often targets (ie. rich people, law enforcement, etc)... and then again, it could be a former friend, turned enemy. Leave no stone unturned.

It might be a little late for this, but ideally and almost immediately after the incident, you could have also cruised the immediate area and keep an eye out for your bag. After speaking with police and despite a broken window, I would have searched the vicinity myself. Thieves sometimes rummage through the bag or purse quickly, find what they want, and then dispose of it. Some are careless enough to throw it onto the curb, commercial trash bin, or somewhere else nearby as they would not want to be caught with stolen property and something easily identifiable as a bag.

And if you manage to find cam feed, have good witness statements, and find the bag which could later be dusted, this could all prove to be a good case against the b*stard(s).

I hope your recovery and repair is as smooth and affordable as possible.

That sucks! Yes it almost seems like the person "knew" that that was in your vehicle and took it! You might also check ford vehicle performance forums (like this one) and monitor the classified sections. and yes call the company that sold you the controller (and give them the s/n if you have it) so they can monitor if someone calls in for support!

So sorry this has happened to you! Thieves are scum of the earth!

One thing we did as soon as we bought our EX is buy a black sheet. We immediately took off from the dealer (out of state) for a 5000 mile road trip and one of my fears was that someone would see our suitcases and break in. With the black interior, privacy glass, and the black sheet draped over our suitcases they were virtually invisible.

Unfortunately it is too late for you, but perhaps it might help someone else.

Again, very sorry this happened to you.

Thanks everyone. Definitely will look into a cargo shade. This is the first time a car of mine has been broken into in nearly 10 years.. I guess I was due :(.

I have an appointment with Safelite to get the glass replaced tomorrow. So far, the initial quote is $308 + tax - much better than I was anticipating. Hopefully it stays that way! My deductible is $1500 so not worth placing a claim in this case.

@ Mike, I'll hit you up tomorrow. I'll likely just re-order the tuner from you and pick up the MAP and plugs locally. Thanks!

As for someone watching me - I guess it is possible - I am not really sure what happened. This was the first time in years I have been to this restaurant. My girlfriend and I were there to meet my parents for dinner. After talking to the security guard who rides a bike around the grounds, we came to find out that the parking lot outside of the restaurant is a hot spot for vandals with regular breakins.

I have filed a police report and have been checking craigslist and Ebay for new entries of the X4 Tuner. I figure the other stuff (plugs, MAP, Tstat) are probably in a trash can somewhere.

I also realized I had several parts and pieces of GoPro gear EXCEPT the actual camera and memory cards so that was a win - that gear is actually owned by work so its not really a personal loss. I REALLY did like that backpack tho... LAME

My wife had her 2012 Ford Edge broken into about a year ago. We were at a state park on a Sunday around 3pm. It was a beautiful day and there were 15 or 20 other cars within the vacinity. We were within eyesight of the vehicle for the 20 mintues we walked around.

These clowns tried to break the driver side glass with a punch but it was lamaniated (and they punched right on the sirusxm sticker to the crack didn't propigiate). They did smash the rear tempered passanger glass and took my wife purse, which was under the seat. They got the car next to our too. Oh I was pissed. I went Zimmerman on them and went to that park every day after work for a month. Long story but everything wound up okay in the end. Sorry this stuff still happens out there, good luck.

While your car insurance typically will not cover the backpack and other items not bolted/secured to your car your renters or homeowners typically will. I would check into your policy and see what you can do in that regard to replace the items.

I had some goalie gear stolen out of the back of my Xterra a couple years ago. It was well over 5K in custom gear and my homeowners insurance covered it. (though I did have a special flyer for sports gear to be able to cover the full amount).

Also same thing back in the day when someone stole my subs, amps, and a few other odds and ends out of my Focus SVT. That one I went through renters insurance for as I was a poor college kid.

The $500 deductible for both was WELL less then the amount stolen and thus worthwhile expense.

Does this auto roll up or simply a soft cover that you have to take on/off?[/QUOTE

Is a soft cover that is attached with to the 2nd row headrests, 3rd row side windows and hooks in the read door way.

It blocks the view from outside very well.

Yes, on/off as needed. You can't use it when the 3rd row seats are deployed.

BM

Back