2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. Noise in the front wheel. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. Noise in the front wheel.

GMCA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2011
Hello Everybody.

I am new in this forum and I hope to find somebody that might have the same problem in his/her 2011 Ford Explorer.

By the second day driving my new Explorer I started to hear a sort-of mechanical noise in the front passanger wheel. The noise is kind of a tak tak tak and it would happen every time turning right/left slowly, backing out the parking spot, passing over a bump. It never sounds when at higher speed.
So, I brought the vehicle in for check-out (3 times) and the dealer tech department got basically 3 replacement parts (one each visit).
The noise is still there and the last diagnostic is that it might be a rubber-metal friction. No TSB has been issued by Ford.
During this process, I drove for a couple of days a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited AWD to compare, and no noise was heard.

does anyone out there have the same issue with his/her Explorer.

I appreciate any feedback
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same issue with knocking in 2011 Explorer

Hello Everybody.

I am new in this forum and I hope to find somebody that might have the same problem in his/her 2011 Ford Explorer.

By the second day driving my new Explorer I started to hear a sort-of mechanical noise in the front passanger wheel. The noise is kind of a tak tak tak and it would happen every time turning right/left slowly, backing out the parking spot, passing over a bump. It never sounds when at higher speed.
So, I brought the vehicle in for check-out (3 times) and the dealer tech department got basically 3 replacement parts (one each visit).
The noise is still there and the last diagnostic is that it might be a rubber-metal friction. No TSB has been issued by Ford.
During this process, I drove for a couple of days a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited AWD to compare, and no noise was heard.

does anyone out there have the same issue with his/her Explorer.

I appreciate any feedback
Thanks.

I have the same problem as GMCA! Please help. It is not in the tire, sounds more like right side under center or near front. Same thing when you are driving slowly, turning, going over bumps, going downhill. Only at low speeds. Two visits to Ford service and they didn't find anything. I think they don't believe me :)

This noise is indicative of a failed or failing CV joint at the wheel. They always make a ticking sound when they are starting to fail to a knocking sound as they get worse.

By the way, I recently purchased new tires, but rattling noise is the same before and after.

By the way, I recently purchased new tires, but rattling noise is the same before and after.
I'm guessing that you don't have the tow package and therefore the air intake/deflector underneath.
The service guys should have checked that if you do. That unit has come loose and caused problems for some owners.

Peter

...I started to hear a sort-of mechanical noise in the front passanger wheel. The noise is kind of a tak tak tak and it would happen every time turning right/left slowly, backing out the parking spot, passing over a bump...

I have the same problem as GMCA!...

Hi GMCA and Wild Valley,

I'm on the case! Send me your information in a PM and I'll do what I can to help. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll start investigating. :)

Crystal

I also have this exact same issue!
I haven't had it addressed at the dealer yet.
As soon as someone finds out the cause could you please let me know?
In the meantime, i'm going to check my air intake to as suggested to see if it came loose.

Thank you

I also have this exact same issue!
I haven't had it addressed at the dealer yet.
As soon as someone finds out the cause could you please let me know?
In the meantime, i'm going to check my air intake to as suggested to see if it came loose.

Thank you
Welcome to the Forum LindowCMU.:wavey:
Even though your profile show a 2012 VW, I'm going to take a leap here and assume you have an Explorer. :D

Peter

Caught red handed! Just made the change.
2011 Explorer Limited (with issues starting to pile up)

Sounds similar to my issue in the front drivers side. It makes clunky noises each and every turn, including bumps. I was told that it is a bad bearing in the strut assembly. I'm scheduled for repair on Wednesday and will provide an update.

Sounds similar to my issue in the front drivers side. It makes clunky noises each and every turn, including bumps. I was told that it is a bad bearing in the strut assembly. I'm scheduled for repair on Wednesday and will provide an update.

Hi KonaExplorer,

Please keep me posted on the repairs of your vehicle! If the concern persists afterward, contact me with your VIN and odometer reading and I'll see how I can help. :)

Bianca

Same issue here. 2011 AWD XLT

Same issue here. 2011 AWD XLT

Hi slikirish,

Have you had your dealership check this out? Let me know when you have a diagnosis and I'll do what I can to help; PM me your information (full name, best daytime contact info, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer) so I can look into options.

Crystal

Hi slikirish,

Have you had your dealership check this out? Let me know when you have a diagnosis and I'll do what I can to help; PM me your information (full name, best daytime contact info, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer) so I can look into options.

Crystal

I haven't had a chance to have it looked at yet due to work and kids sports schedules. I know it's out of warranty with 53,x.. miles on it.

UPDATE!!! Finally fixed! A service manager with 30 years' experience finally figured it out and fixed my rattling issue - it was the strut. It was not the sway bar (which they fixed several months ago and that did nothing). They figured out which strut it was and replaced it and problem was finally solved after 1.5 years!

Same issue here on my 14 XLT.
Wild Valley, do u have a part number for that strut? I'm assuming it was replaced under warranty?

Same issue here on my 14 XLT.
Wild Valley, do u have a part number for that strut? I'm assuming it was replaced under warranty?

Hi vital,

Are you heading in soon to have your dealership diagnose? How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back