• Register Today It's free!

Shifting issues this morning

pet575

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
I've had previous transmission issues with my 2004 Limited; 4.6L V8, AWD, 5R55S. I've been living with a TCC Clutch Failure to Engage error code for almost 2 years. Replaced the TCC Clutch controller in the valve body and it did not fix the issue. I figure the next step is to replace the solenoid pack but I haven't gone that far. I've just continued to drive it, knowing that I could afford to replace the vehicle once early 2015 arrived.

This morning, I had an odd shift on the on ramp to the freeway where the vehicle appeared to jump out of gear and into neutral instead of shifting into what I think should have been 4th. When I let off the gas it shifted correctly. I got off at the next exit and after stopping, it failed to shift correctly from 2-3. Instead, it appeared to downshift back into 1. It felt like it might possibly be shifting to neutral but the more it happened the more it seemed like a downshift to 1.

As I completed my morning commute, the shifting on the lower end seemed to improve but then an added slam into what I think was 4th started to happen. A harsh shift. By the end of the commute, all other shifting was OK except for the harsh shift (but no longer a slam) into 4th.

I'm starting this thread because I'm going to go get my codes read early this afternoon at a local tranny shop to see what more I can learn. I'm also going to check my fluid level once I get home but I suspect it is fine. As I'm writing this thread, I'm recalling that a "bump" back down into 1st when coming to a stop started to show up late last week.

My suspicion is that I'm going to get some codes that relate to the solenoid pack. Anyone think I'm heading in the wrong direction on this one? I'll update once I get the codes pulled and will work on it from there.

In the meantime, if any of you guys who have previously replaced theirs with a NEW solenoid pack have a link for a new one with a reasonable price I'd greatly appreciate you posting it in the event that is where I have to proceed. I'm lucky enough to have a loaner car I can use so that I can order the part and avoid stealership prices.

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fluid level appears to be normal.

Codes:
P0733- Gear 3 Ratio
P0745- line Pressure

Did a quick Google search and these seem to relate to solenoid replacement.

Thoughts?

I get rough shifts into 5th and weird downshifts but no cel or lights appear

Drove like a champ on the way to the tx shop and home from there. Same thing driving last night and on my morning commute. Seems to indicate nothing along the lines of broken bands, gears, etc.

Guy at tx shop said, "Yeah, hopefully" when I suggested that solenoid pack replacement might clear it up once we saw the codes.

Another day yesterday and this morning of flawless shifting. I'm not going to do anything until I get some more symptoms.

Another day yesterday and this morning of flawless shifting. I'm not going to do anything until I get some more symptoms.

Sounds like the solenoid pack to me. That was the same problem I had with my old 04 and I even had a hard time keeping in overdrive. It would bounce the RPM's back and for 2-300 RPM's in overdrive. I changed out the pack and it was fixed. I bought my pack from the old Tousley Ford out of the MPLS area best price I could find. Not sure if there new business name now.

Back