explorer, mountaineer, and now the aviator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

explorer, mountaineer, and now the aviator

unabonked

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98Sport, 94XLT, 96Sport
Ok guys and girls, we now have a new addition to the X family, the Lincoln Aviator. As seen in the BON, This new creature features a 302 HP DOHC V8! So now come the questions.

1. Would this engine fit in older model Xs?

2. What kind of supercharger would be good for such an engine? Yes, i know i'd have to fab most the parts and probably have to get a new computer for it.

3. Transmition issues. Would i need a new tranny if it was replacing a V6? If so i'd assume that the Aviator tranny would bolt right in.

I'm well aware that I'm jumping the gun a good deal. But woulden't it be killer to paste the pavement with more horsies then an elmore glue factory? :confused: :bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. With enough money and a big shoehorn, anything is possible. But for practical purposes, no. The Modular motors are in a 90 degree V configuration, and with the cams on top of the cylinder heads, a measly 281 cid engine ends up being as wide as a Boss 429!

2. Well, it's a Modular V8, so look at what the Modular Stang guys use.

3. Pretty much a great big YEAH on that one. The trannies they use in Explorers are notoriously weak. Plus, what are the odds that they use the same bellhousing, etc. as the Modular V8?

Sorry to rain on your parade, but if you want a V8 in an older Ex, just get a 5.0. They're cheaper, smaller, and make more power for less work.

its the stang engine?

I think a Ford Explorer Limited is very luxurious for a sports utility vehicle and I would see no need on buying a lincoln where im sure the quality wouldn't improve that much.

Well, a limited Explorer may be nice but the Aviator looks incredible. I have always liked the look of the Navigator but thought it was too big. The Aviator is just about right. With 302 horses it ought to hussle pretty good as well.

What the heck is with FoMoCo making the smaller ones look like the big ones? The 2003 Expedition looks like the Explorer, the Aviator like the Navigator... There's no distinction in the looks, just the size. I don't like it... I liked how the Expedition and Explorer looked differently in the past.

i know what you mean. it kinda reminds me of the standardizing of the dodge front ends of all their cars in the 90's, or GM "built with legos" look.

unfortunatly i think this is a bad omen: they lost direction, so they copy their own sucsesses. take a look at the 02 X. they even said they try to make it look like the origonal, that was just 2 body styles ago!. red blinkers, black tailgate paint and the bulldog front end all the same.

the sad part is that they trash the true truck parts, like the rear suspension. this leaves us with the only distictions between an awd ex and an awd windstar is the kind of doors and engine options.

they can do better then this!

Originally posted by unabonked
i know what you mean. it kinda reminds me of the standardizing of the dodge front ends of all their cars in the 90's, or GM "built with legos" look.

unfortunatly i think this is a bad omen: they lost direction, so they copy their own sucsesses. take a look at the 02 X. they even said they try to make it look like the origonal, that was just 2 body styles ago!. red blinkers, black tailgate paint and the bulldog front end all the same.

the sad part is that they trash the true truck parts, like the rear suspension. this leaves us with the only distictions between an awd ex and an awd windstar is the kind of doors and engine options.

they can do better then this!

That's not true. A Windstar is built on a unibody while the Explorer is still a body on frame!

thats of no use if you can't take it off road!

Originally posted by AdamCKach
What the heck is with FoMoCo making the smaller ones look like the big ones? The 2003 Expedition looks like the Explorer, the Aviator like the Navigator... .

Um, wrong there on the explorer/expidition thing... The explorer was redesigned, and THEN came the revamping of the expedition... So then, there they made the big one, look like the small one.

But I think the lincoln part was right
Pete

I had it right... "The 2003 Expedition looks like the Explorer." The 2003 Expedition indeed was released after, and does look like the Explorer :)

Just read the one offroading post... if I had a fullsize Navi I wouldn't take it off road. I'd use it to tow the Explorer... but the Navi would see pavement, stone, and maybe dirt if it's the kind that doesn't get it too dirty :) (I would use the 4x4 in the Navi for snow, however...)

Originally posted by espnfreak
I think a Ford Explorer Limited is very luxurious for a sports utility vehicle and I would see no need on buying a lincoln where im sure the quality wouldn't improve that much.

Espn I agree with you 100%. The Limited is quite plush and luxurious, I have no complaints about it and Lincoln's quality might not be much of an improvement. Trust me...I am nowhere close to giving my X the boot...I just ordered some more goodies. But let's just say hypothetically that something unfortunate did happen to it (totalled, stolen/stripped or whatever) I would consider the Aviator as a possible replacement. I like the looks of the Navigator but just like Bill said it is just too big.

Oh man Kode Blu, I got a loaded XLT and I think thats a pretty damn nice car with a lot of features. I cant imagine a Limited. They get all the nice stuff.

the only improvements i could imagine over the limited is wood trim and wall to wall leather. I don't even think McDonald's kills enough cows to cover the interior of an X. i dunno, i just have a thing against conspicuous consumption i guess.

Does anyone know if the 02 seats are compatable with earlier models? i have a feeling i'm gonna claim dibbs on the first parted out aviator out there.

Originally posted by unabonked
the only improvements i could imagine over the limited is wood trim and wall to wall leather. I don't even think McDonald's kills enough cows to cover the interior of an X. i dunno, i just have a thing against conspicuous consumption i guess.

Does anyone know if the 02 seats are compatable with earlier models? i have a feeling i'm gonna claim dibbs on the first parted out aviator out there.

I think there's also a good chance it will have an air ride suspension option.

Doesnt the Limited X have Air Ride suspension already?

From the Aviator I saw at the NY Auto Show the interior is a lot different. It has a big console that runs down the middle to the back buckets. All the controls dont look anything like the Explorer either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by espnfreak
Oh man Kode Blu, I got a loaded XLT and I think thats a pretty damn nice car with a lot of features. I cant imagine a Limited. They get all the nice stuff.
I have to admit...the toys are nice...I love 'em :D . But actually I lucked up on the Limited. I intially went after a loaded XLT 4dr Sport. While I was talking to the dealer I told him that I only wanted it in Deep Wedgewood Blue...he told me to hold for a sec. He made a call and asked me if I would be interested in a Blue Limited? Okay...I thinking he's about to nail me with sticker shock. He then proceeds to tell me that the owner's wife was driving around in one and was about to turn it in for something else because he (the owner) wants to sell it with less than 6000 miles and that if interested...I could have it for a little less than what I was going to pay for the XLT 4dr Sport. Woo Hoo!! Talk about being in the right place at the right time!! Four days later I traded in my '97 Sport and brought the Limited home. :D

Back