Please Help me I am 10000% Lost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help me I am 10000% Lost

Boomsday

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Over the past two weeks I have been having some major issues with my 02 4.0l V6 Eddie Bauer Explorer.

It was driving fine then one day I noticed it was overheating, luckily I was about to pull into my driveway. I noticed that my water pump was leaking. So i replaced my water pump pretty easy. I tried to start it after and there was just a click noise. Had a mobile mechanic come over and we determined that my starter had went bad. Again replaced my starter pretty easy and straight forward.

Started driving to work the next day, very rough idle and dies. Did not overheat, no check engine light. Just died. Got it towed home. Was told it was either, spark plugs, spark plug wires, or coil pack. So got all three replaced. Still very rough idle was told it was my MAF, so I cleaned it. Still very rough idle, I just bought a brand new one.

Did some research on the forum and decided to check my PCV Valve. Went out and got a new one since it was pretty cheap, no change. So im stumped any insight would be great.

Cliffs..

Car drives for about 15min then shuts off at either low rpm or while stopping. Very rough idle. Will be drivable if sits for about 35-45min. No codes, does not overheat.

In the past month I have Changed:
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Coil pack
MAF Sensor
PCV Valve
Starter
Heater Control
Water Pump
Upper and Lower Thermostat housing
Thermostat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also may not be bad to look into the throttle position sensor.

Have you tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for at least 20 minutes. This will cause the explorer to go into learn mode which would hopefully relieve your issues

Have you tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for at least 20 minutes. This will cause the explorer to go into learn mode which would hopefully relieve your issues

I will try this right now. Thank you

Ok I tried this, and its still doing the same thing. I can sit at idle and it never shut off..Its just very rough. As soon as I start driving and start to slow down is when it just dies

I'm not sure if the 4.0 is like the 4.6 but there is a 90° elbow that will disintegrate over time and it will create a hole causing a bad air/fuel mixture. Might check all your hoses on your throttle body.

Assuming you have checked your wiring on both the positive and negative connections between the battery and their final destination? Corroded battery cables can do some very odd things. They can often be corroded beneath the insulation to where they are internally rotted but you cannot see that from the outside.

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Intake manifold gaskets?

spark plug wires

I suggest that you confirm the spark plug wires are connected correctly paying special attention to cylinders 5 and 6.
Cylinder%20key%204_0%20SOHC.jpg

Hey Boomsday, you can get to that bolt with a ratchet and extension. From the top of the manifold you should be able to see the bolt in between the intake plenums (look straight down on it). I just did this last week trying to diag a stalling problem on my 3rd gen (I'll probably be starting a new thread about it today). its actually a really easy intake to remove, the only hard part is getting, and not losing, that last bolt out by the firewall. It was a total pain for me, I couldn't get my hands in there.

Hey Boomsday, you can get to that bolt with a ratchet and extension. From the top of the manifold you should be able to see the bolt in between the intake plenums (look straight down on it). I just did this last week trying to diag a stalling problem on my 3rd gen (I'll probably be starting a new thread about it today). its actually a really easy intake to remove, the only hard part is getting, and not losing, that last bolt out by the firewall. It was a total pain for me, I couldn't get my hands in there.

Hey thanks for the heads up if you do start a thread let me know so I can check it out

Plugged/Failed Cat converter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back