Upgraded Turbo Wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgraded Turbo Wheel

Sbilisko

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
I was wondering if anyone has done this upgrade and what results they have had. I was searching the web and stumbled upon this Bullseye Power turbo wheel. Just looking for any feedback on this or any other aftermarket turbo wheel that has been used with our ecoboost vehicles. Here is the link

http://www.morepowertuning.com/11-14-ecoboost-batmowheel

Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have, we offer that capability for the Explorer Sport
The batmo wheel won't fit the transverse turbo.
$1600 exchange, this service installs a new turbo wheel on your turbo as well as rebuild your turbo center section with new bearings.
Turnaround is usually 72 hours.

that's awfully expensive for a compressor wheel. Do you have compressor maps for this swap? What kind of flow rate can you expect?

I thought it was cheap, Livernois charges $2100 (or did) for their Tial turbo wheel upgrade.
The $1600 includes rebuilding the turbo when it comes it, they replace all the ball bearings and rebuild the cartridge.
Here's a couple of videos of my car with the upgraded turbo wheels that I sell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Old-qfLpmZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCLvexuoHnk

Try and get your stock turbos to maintain up to 18psi up at the top of 3rd, 4th gear you'll be around 14psi in comparison. Also making 22 PSI at 4K is next to impossible with stock wheels and if you do the amount of heat you'll be putting out will be irrelevant.
These are a stock size GTX replacement turbine wheel that for my car made a big power jump, 480WHP on E85.

Here's the Flex making a pass on E85 (no nitrous) on the upgraded stock compressor wheels. That's quicker than it went with a 75 shot of nitrous previously for a comparison.

Mike - is this just the turbo (exhaust expander) side wheel? Is there any options / benefits to replacing the compressor (intake) side wheel?

I'm sorry if this was asked. Does this void warranty in the event that the engine has problems (not caused from the tune)..? And would they be able to find out it was modded? A person on the ecoboost forum said the numbers in the ECU turn into unknown characters to show that the ECU was messed around with.

It would absolutely void the powertrain warranty. If it causes a failure not requiring opening the turbo, then a tech may not notice. However, if your engine blows up or Ford decides to tear apart your engine to determine why x.. requires warranty work, they'll probably notice. They'd then decline to warranty the engine, and stick you with a bill for the tear down. It would probably never get to that since one of the first things they would do would be to hook up a computer to your ECU, and see you have a tune, and decline warranty service.

It's an upgraded compressor wheel - it was made by the Australians so we have to import it in for an application they have there with the GT15 turbo which isn't super popular. They had great results with it as well.

It's an upgraded compressor wheel - it was made by the Australians so we have to import it in for an application they have there with the GT15 turbo which isn't super popular. They had great results with it as well.

Do you have the compressor map?

No, no compressor map.

Any chance you could ask for it? I love seeing the flyby videos and all, but without a compressor map I may just be purchasing an expensive noisemaker.

Before/after dyno plots (with correction factors listed) would help but not nearly as useful as an actual map.

There's no compressor map for a custom compressor wheel for the GT15, sorry wish there was.
You have 3 options right now - all without a compressor map that I know of (by order of price)
My compressor wheel upgrade $1600
Livernois (Tial) upgrade $2100
ATP turbo upgrade - $2200 - full turbo upgrade.

There's no compressor map for a custom compressor wheel for the GT15, sorry wish there was.
You have 3 options right now - all without a compressor map that I know of (by order of price)
My compressor wheel upgrade $1600
Livernois (Tial) upgrade $2100
ATP turbo upgrade - $2200 - full turbo upgrade.

ATP has ALWAYS posted compressor maps http://www.atpturbo.com/root/maps/gt15.htm

This compressor wheel mentioned in the OP doesn't even state what the effective trim of the turbo would be when the compressor wheel is replaced.

Hell, even a simple max flow rate (lb/min) would be a start. The lack of information other than video clips of flybys is a bit perplexing. There HAD to be some engineering that went into this thing, right? Right?? :scratch:

Back