HELP HELP HELP HELP!!! 4.6 v8 WONT TURN OVER!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP HELP HELP HELP!!! 4.6 v8 WONT TURN OVER!!

3xplodering

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Bragg, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer v8 4.6
ok so two days ago i was driving all day in my explorer. stop at the gas station, left it running and went inside for whatnot. came back out and it was off. hmm...odd. went to start it. nothing. tried it a few more times and just kept hearing the starter solenoid clicking. figured the starter was shot, but doesnt explain the engine cutting out. got a friend to hit the starter and solenoid while i tried to start it. nothing. so i got it pulled home by my buddy. jacked up the front. got underneath now with better visibility and looked like the wiring to the starter motor from the solenoid was cooked. assumed the starter had to been shot so i went and got a new one. got it in last night and got in it to start it up and you can hear the starter trying to turn the motor over and you can see everything move a tid bit but nothing more. then what sounded like the starter skipping off the teeth of the flywheel. so frustrated and curious to see if the engine could rotate at all, i took a socket and long ratchet to turn it over and could not for the life of me get it to rotate. idk if my engine has seeze or what and just dumbfounded. could SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me something than other than my motor has locked up. yes it has oil and was changed not too long ago, isnt low or anything, still brown. has no overheating issues of the sort.

im completely STUMPED and rather frustrated. any input or other things i should check. just really really hoping my motor isnt just shot. so scared of that possibility. thank you ahead of time and i really appreciate your help and expertise.

:( :eek: :mad: :mad::mad::mad::D:D:D:D:D:confused::confused::confused::confused::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::fart::fart::fart::help::help::help::help::help::help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

please someone help me with this grave issue.

Who knows what happened while you were away. You may have missed obvious noises.
I assume it was driving with no start up noises to this point.

Only thing I could suggest is to remove the valve covers and look down the front of the timing cover to see if all of the timing pieces are together.
Chains should be tight. Might have had a catastrophic timing failure while you were in the store.

Pull all the plugs out and see if will turn over. It may have hydrolocked with water or fuel.

ok just got out of work and just curious how fuel could hydrolock an engine? gonna pull the plugs and see if it'll turn, if not then inspect the valve covers and timing cover. thank you so much for the help. i'll let you know what happens. fingers crossed

If you've not done the plugs before, make sure you vacuum and use compressed air to clean the depressed spark plug holes out. They like to collect grit which will fall into the cylinders.

I had a 4.6 in a f150 that had a head gasket go bad leaking antifreeze into a cylinder. And bent a connecting rod to the point it locked up tight!

Back