Time for tires | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Welcome to the Forum KevinJace.:wavey:
When I leased my 2011 Limited in March 2011, the first thing I did was trade in the Hankooks on a set of Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. This was done mainly because of the reviews on Hankook tires for poor Winter performance. Granted the reviews did not pertain to the specific tires that were on the vehicle but I wanted something with a more aggressive tread since we can still get some good snowfalls in March. I have the same tires now on my MKT and am quite happy with them. I'm a person that uses dedicated Winter tires so the Hankooks won't see any Winter driving. There are members who are very happy with them and others who are not. Sorry if this wasn't particularily helpful.

Peter

Thank you for the welcome, Peter! And I appreciate your information. Everything is helpful :). I guess when I pick up the car, I'll have to see how it handles in the wet, as I've seen a few comments about the tires having poor traction. If it doesn't handle the rain well, that'll be a strong indication that I'll have to change them before snow starts falling.

Once again, thanks for the insight!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully you like loud music. At 20K, you'll find yourself turning the volume up. Worst tires on an SUV that I've owned, even with 5K rotations, and perfect 4 wheel alignment.

Well you weren't using the same tire so..... There are differences between the older tire your vw came with and the newer "plus" model that is on my wife's car.

18" Michelin Lattitude HPs on an XLT? If so, same here. At 50K, still good tread left and incredibly smooth and quiet. I'll get the exact same tire as the replacement.

Interesting, I have never in my life even approached 50,000 miles on a set of tires. I like the Michelins at this point, they are quiet and smooth riding. I have purchased winter tires which I will run from Mid-November to Mid-March. Doing this I figure I should get about 3 years on each set of tires. Then I may have to rethink what I put on the vehicle.

Interesting, I have never in my life even approached 50,000 miles on a set of tires.

You can thank Ford for making the new Explorer car-like for increased tire life. Front wheel drive centric, with a Haldex type part-time AWD system, plus the geometry of the suspension system keeps it from grinding down tires like a lot of other SUVs do. We're also on the original brakes.

My Touareg, at 500 lbs heavier, with a Torsen type full-time AWD system, and truck-like suspension (mind you, I love the way it drives and performs over the Explorer) will grind off a set of tires in 25-30K.

I have had my fill of low profile tires. The 18s wear better than the 20s. We purposely bought the XLT over the Limited for this primary reason.

18" Michelin Lattitude HPs on an XLT? If so, same here. At 50K, still good tread left and incredibly smooth and quiet. I'll get the exact same tire as the replacement.

Yes! I never thought Michelins were good tires, but I have been proven wrong with this make and model! I don't know if I would purchase these again since they are expensive as heck. But we'll see if I find a good sale or something so I can :).

Does anyone have experience with Nitto tires for wear and road noise? Winter performance is not a critical factor for me.

Does anyone have experience with Nitto tires for wear and road noise? Winter performance is not a critical factor for me.

I have some on our edge. Wear has been unnoticeable after a year. They do have a bit more road nose compared to the Michelin they replaced. I'd buy again.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Without knowing which Nitto tire you are looking at it is difficult to say what it may be like. I think there are better tires on the market. Whenever I want info on tires I check out the customer reviews on 1010tires.com and/or tirerack.com. There they show the ratings that customers have given tires in various categories.

Peter

I have some on our edge. Wear has been unnoticeable after a year. They do have a bit more road nose compared to the Michelin they replaced. I'd buy again.

They are also produced within 100 miles of me. Supporting my local economy.

Tires for my EX

Without knowing which Nitto tire you are looking at it is difficult to say what it may be like. I think there are better tires on the market. Whenever I want info on tires I check out the customer reviews on 1010tires.com and/or tirerack.com. There they show the ratings that customers have given tires in various categories.

Peter

Peter: Thanks for the rec to look at Tire Rack. I have never used them but the reviews are very helpful.

Welcome to the Forum 3rdy.:wavey:
As mentioned in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one also identified in the post above.
I was very happy with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X that I replaced my OEM tires with on my previous Explorer.

Peter

Peter,
I like the Parada's tire rating except for the treadlife. Reviews are saying the mileage is like half of the Hankook's. I have 55,000 om my Hankook's but will need tires soon before the winter. What has been your treadlife results with the Parada's?

I'm afraid that I'm the wrong person to ask about tread life. I had my 2011 Limited 3 years and when the dealer wanted it back (Lease) I had about 11,200 miles on it. Even less on the Parada tires (6500 mi.) since I use dedicated Winter tires as well. If I was in the market for all season tires, I would definitely have them at the top of the shopping list. I believe blwnsmoke has the same tires.

Peter

Just got an e-mail from my dealer yesterday that the Michelin Man would be there for a couple of days if you need tires. They are offering 3 Michelin's at regular price and the 4th for $1. Sounds like a good deal if you need tires, but I don't. Have Michelin's on my '13 XLT and are satisfied so far.

I don't know what is going on with tires anyhow. Seems like I used to get 70-80K out of tires on some older pickups I have owned, and I have never worn a set of tires out in 50K. The ones on the Acadia I traded in were good till around 60K and probably could have gone a little longer. Seems like everyone gets antsy about tires at around 40-50K. I specifically remember a set of Uniroyals I had on a '93 Chevy pickup that went beyond 80K, and Uniroyals weren't top of the line by any means.

The Hankook Optimo H426 has some of the poorest ratings I've come across on both 1010tires.com and tirerack.com. This is especially true for performance in snow. According to Tire Rack, most owners would never buy them again and in its category ranks 32nd out of 34. I have them on my MKT but since it is only a 3 year lease and I always use dedicated Winter tires, I decided to keep them this time.

Peter

Mentioned them on the previous page.

If these Hankook's are a let-down this winter, I'll be putting the Firestone's on. Great reviews so far.

Firestone might be the winner.

I have 55,000 on the Hankook's and they wont make it through another winter.

I just ordered a set of 4x Yokohama's Parada Spec-X Street/Sport Truck All-Season and I will post my own quick review once they are in place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I come back from vacation and find a small bulge in the passenger front tire. I want to only replace 2 tires at this time with the same make/type that are on it. The manual says to replace tires in pairs, not all 4 at one time. Is there any advice someone can give with the thought of moving forward with the replacement of just two tires?

Back