Upgrade 2014 Explorer headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade 2014 Explorer headlights

brucehawley

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
I have a new base model 2014 Ford Explorer. The lights are not bright enough at night.

How can I upgrade to a brighter, better lamps?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a lot of topics on here about the headlights if you do a search. I myself upgraded to the Sylvania zXe headlights. They are an improvement but overall the light output/pattern sucks..

Likely you have halogen lamps. To make sure pull the bulb out and check it.

Solve your issue in 5 minutes for about $35;
https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/silverstar-ultra.aspx

Each Silver Star model rates brightness and bulb life in an easy to read chart.
They're available at any auto mart store, Walmart, etc.
If you dont like the 1st type you get - return them and go to the next one up.

{...} or do a full-out HID retrofit (you must do the entire projector housing assembly for it to work)

An argument comes up over this every time headlights are brought up. There are a few users who paid for the Limited with HIDs or did a full headlight rebuild with new lenses and reflectors. Admittedly these setups look fantastic (better even than the Limited HIDs), but they also cost a lot ($600 and up if my memory serves). They claim that the full retrofit is the ONLY way to improve the light output with HIDs, but it would be better to say that it is the best way to improve the light output.

A large number of users have bought drop-in HID upgrades kits, which are basically plug and play. These kits vastly improve the amount of light output, and are damn near as good as a factory HID setup. Many people have commented that they can't tell the difference between a factory HID and a $200 aftermarket kit. If you want a safe, legal, and inexpensive solution to the low-light output of the halogen lights - look at the drop in kits. I recommend diode dynamics, but the HID thread has a few other well reviewed vendors.

few alternatives to increasing light output:

1. Swap to higher performance halogen bulbs
Example - Sylvania Siverstar ZXE
pros: Optimized for Halogen Projector housings. relatively cheap $35-$60.
cons: not completely as bright as factory HID.

2. Swap to HID Bulb
Example - aftermarket HID set that can be obtained offline-xentec, morioto, etc.
pros: Definitely brighter than any halogen bulb
cons: hid bulb is NOT optimized or oriented for a halogen-specific projector. Result is light output that is improperly focused/distributed evenly.

3. Projector Retrofit Swap
Example - Purchasing a setup synonymous to the one as listed: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412383

Pros: optimized lighting with a high-end hid kit that is mated to the proper HID projector. Resulting in optimal light focus and distribution
Cons: unfortunately not cheap

Well I haven't switched to HID bulbs in my Sport yet but I've read enough about it and seen enough of the members photos to believe that it works just fine.

There are lots of other vehicle specific websites where you can read and see photos of people who have gone the "cheap" route, by just adding a $200 set of HID bulbs and ballasts to a standard halogen projector housing.

It works, is it perfect, no its not. Should we all be paying for a set of junkyard Explorer Limited headlight housings and wiring in HID ballasts...NO!

If you want to bake your headlight housings in your oven and install some projectors from a Lexus or other FoMoCo and then wire in your own HID ballasts go ahead and do that too!

You can also do what many many other people have done and thats buy a set of HID ballasts and bulbs that will plug right into your existing Explorer headlight assembly.

Not sure what you mean by drop in kits, but if it's just bulbs and the associated ballasts and wiring, using the existing halogen projector housings, then that's probably not going to work properly. I think a lot of people install these, then stand back and look at them in their driveway, and they look a whole heck of a lot brighter. And they are brighter. But beam pattern and focal length (even if the cut off is OK), are often not as good as the engineers designed the halogen setup that was just replaced. But don't take my word for it - check out this article by a well known automotive lighting expert, who cites numerous technical documents and DOT regulations. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

If a "drop in" kit involves an HID-specific projector housing, then it should work, barring any electrical problems like loads on the wiring or radio interference. See the Sticky post above in this very forum http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412384 for a good explanation and confirmation about how the Explorer's halogen projector housing is different from the HID housing.

By drop-in kit I mean HID bulbs in the existing housing. Ford's halogen projector setup is close enough to their HID projector setup that swapping the bulbs out doesn't seem to matter. One user had his sport with HID bulbs parked next to and HID equipped Limited, and said the differences were imperceptible. I certainly couldn't tell the difference between my drop in HID kit and a friends loaner Limited.

I've seen a bunch of people say "in theory the drop in HID bulb replacements suck". Perhaps in theory they do, but in practice they are great. I think most people are more familiar with the drop in kits being installed in older model reflector housings, and being a real eyesore.

Back