99 Explorer Projector headlights | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer Projector headlights

Im thinking about buying those projectors on ebay, the ones that are basiaclly the whole headlight housing, they dont come with directions, are they plug and play pretty much or does this require any wire splicing and all of that..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just finished my HID Retrofit

Looks great Brad. Now I'm not the only one in town with the retrofit in a 2nd gen Ex.

On that note, I saw you/your truck a few months back. You had stopped at the Shell station on Fairmont Drive/Centre St. SE. I tried to get your attention as I was turning north on Centre to merge onto Glenmore. I don't think you saw me. The truck looked great. I used to work right across the street from that Shell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Celly, i didnt see you that day. That is not my normal route/area as I'm more in the north than south end of Calgary. I'm usually pretty good keeping my eyes open for fellow explorerists.

Next time you see me stop to BS and vice versa.

Old thread but I'm just about to attempt this. I bought the kit and I got the lenses separated just fine. Those that have done this, did you have to trim the rear of the lens that sticks out, to tighten the projector nut? What's the 9007 adapter ring that was mentioned in here? Celly mentioned he only had to trim the shrouds which I hacked up enough to slide in easier but I don't see how I can fit the included washers in there also.

I tested both projectors' hi beam shield with a 9v battery but one of them didn't work so I'm in the process of getting that replaced.

Thanks

Old thread but I'm just about to attempt this. I bought the kit and I got the lenses separated just fine. Those that have done this, did you have to trim the rear of the lens that sticks out, to tighten the projector nut? What's the 9007 adapter ring that was mentioned in here? Celly mentioned he only had to trim the shrouds which I hacked up enough to slide in easier but I don't see how I can fit the included washers in there also.

I tested both projectors' hi beam shield with a 9v battery but one of them didn't work so I'm in the process of getting that replaced.

Thanks

It's been a while and I didn't take step by step photos. What I do remember is having to dremel a small nub that protrudes in the back of the reflector and interfered with the projector. At least on the eBay clear headlight lenses I had. That and trimming the shroud to fit. As for adapter rings and whatnot I don't recall. I think the purpose of the rings was to "clock" the projector so it is in the right position and the beam is correct. It was more of a test fit, then trim a little as needed. Take your time and think it through. Sometimes you need to take a break and attack things the next day.

It's been a while and I didn't take step by step photos. What I do remember is having to dremel a small nub that protrudes in the back of the reflector and interfered with the projector. At least on the eBay clear headlight lenses I had. That and trimming the shroud to fit. As for adapter rings and whatnot I don't recall. I think the purpose of the rings was to "clock" the projector so it is in the right position and the beam is correct. It was more of a test fit, then trim a little as needed. Take your time and think it through. Sometimes you need to take a break and attack things the next day.
Cool thanks for the info. I bought my lenses from the original group buy back in 2005. Luckily they didn't have the glare cap thing for the bulb so I won't have to worry about that.
I know the adapters are for either the H4 or H7 but I saw 9007 adapter rings mentioned in this thread. I know this was 2-3 years ago but I don't see anything like that included in the 9007/9004 kit that I bought.

Are you looking at these ones:
View attachment 242099

Or these ones:
View attachment 242100

Theyre both very easy to hook up/install, its definitely time consuming though, take a good 2 hours todo it right.

The first pair is what I have now, the CCFL Halo Projectors, the 2nd pair on the black Ex is my old set, just the LED Halo Projectors. Lookwise, I love the first pair (CCFL is such a better Halo then the LED, so much brighter), and I like the way everythings layed out in them. The projector in them isnt my favorite, the projector in the other set is alot better.
Which ones are the second pair of lights?

Back