• Register Today It's free!

sas or no

PatG

Reaction score
City, State
Carson City MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer xlt 4.0 ohv
I have a dilemma I have currently a 97 xlt with basic 22 inch wheel and tire brand new all terrains and TT and I have a not yet installed add a leaf kit. However I have a blown t case 4 bad shocks a leaking master cylinder and rotten shackles. I want to lift it but my question is since I need to fix everything anyway would I be better of doing a sas or just fix the master cylider.(Its not really broke but its got that problem where it leaks at the cruise control cut off) get lift shackles (anybody know of any besides the $80+ warriors like to get something cheaper) put on the add a leaf ,get new pro comp shocks (can't afford Ranchos) get a junkyard working tcase and call it good.So tell me what you guys think any feedback will be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I vote no on the sas. I would bring it up to par first. Everything you just mentioned is the exact same fix sas or not except the front shocks so you wouldn't lose much if any if you change your mind.

Ok thank you I thought I had to change out master cylinder and t case when I did sas.

I have a ttb swap which is basically a sas and am running the stock master. The auto transfer case may not work well with the straight axle but I believe there is a brown wire mod that makes the auto part not auto. But having a 97 you may have a standard 2hi/4hi/4lo case and it doesn't care what is on the end of the drive shaft. Haha

If you're reluctant to spend $80 on warrior shackles and want a cheaper brand, I don't think you realize how many thousands of dollars an SAS costs.

If you're reluctant to spend $80 on warrior shackles and want a cheaper brand, I don't think you realize how many thousands of dollars an SAS costs.

Exactly my thoughts. Haven't seen a completed SAS under $1000 yet. Plus any SAS requires welding and fabrication of parts.

I also agree with the cost. I assumed the budget was different for the SAS than just getting it running again since SAS is a major upgrade.

Back