• Register Today It's free!

Front End Bounce

Dave98XLT

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4WD 4.0 SOC
I have seen the coil-over modification and it is beyond my capability. Is there any other mild mod available to help stop the deep front end bounce I get on off-road use when in 4WD low?

Maybe something like a light coilover instead of a full coilover setup?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no partial coilover setup. I'd recommend high end shocks, and some new bushings for your chassis parts, upper and lower control arms, and sway bar bushings and end links.

There is no partial coilover setup. I'd recommend high end shocks, and some new bushings for your chassis parts, upper and lower control arms, and sway bar bushings and end links.

I have new ball joints, Billsteins and Energy Suspenion sway bar bushings already up front. Even when they were new, they didn't stop the bottoming out. Is there anything else to try?

Is there not enough clearance for a coil-over add on?

Get the stiffer torsion bars up front, do a mild torsion twist up front, and add warrior shackles in the rear. The extra 1.5-2" of travel should prevent some of your bottoming issues.

Get the stiffer torsion bars up front, do a mild torsion twist up front, and add warrior shackles in the rear. The extra 1.5-2" of travel should prevent some of your bottoming issues.

Is there not enough clearance for a coil-over add on?

Yes, several members have removed the factory torsion bar IFS up front and installed coilover shocks instead. It requires buying the appropriate brackets to modify your lower control arms, buying shocks, springs, and limiting straps. Welding and cutting wil be required. There is a sticky on the topic at the top of page 1 of this modified 2md gen forum. Read up on it and decide what is best for you. I don't really know what you mean by "coilover add-on". You either run the stock torsion bar IFS setup, or convert to coilovers.

I don't really know what you mean by "coilover add-on". You either run the stock torsion bar IFS setup, or convert to coilovers.

I would prefer to add a coil over and keep the torsion bar if there is clearance for the coilover.

But if going to a stiffer torsion bar instead will reduce the bottoming out then that is a possibility. Is that a stock item, and what is the weight? Could I keep the same ride height?

No, you cannot add a coilover to the system.
Read the sticky up top titled "How to install coilovers and ditch t-bars". The stiffer torsion bars up front may likely help, but why you'd want to remain at stock ride height if you have bottomg issues I have no idea. Why not try torsion twisting your existing bars to see if that helps? It comes at the price of free. Then look at add-a-leaf and/or warrior 153 shackles to raise the rear end by the same amount. Read the coilover thread. Lots to be learned there. Their installation requires removal of the stock shock and torsion bar.

F67Z-5B326-FB driver side
F67Z-5B326-FA pass side

These are the part numbers for the stiffer torsion bars, if you decide to go that route. Probably cost close to $350 for the pair.

No, you cannot add a coilover to the system.

Why would you say that? Of course you can add a coilover to the existing suspension setup.

Leave the standard torsion bar in place then install the coilover shock using a spring that isn't as stiff as a spring you'd use if you were eliminating the torsion bars.
Just like a Monroe Sensa Trac, it boosts the existing spring but doesn't replace it.

Fitting an air shock is an option too.

I never thought of doing it that way, though it seems a little redundant especially considering the inferior nature of the torsion bar as a progressive spring.

He did state that the coilover swap was beyond his capability, so I'm just looking for other easier routes to beef up the front end. I think a TT with or without the stiffer torsion bars would work fine, with the shackles in the rear to balance it all out. It's the most common lift done and I think for good reason, it's both fairly straight forward, and affordable.

1. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/overload-shocks

Something like this could be a non-fab bolt in application. It would make the front stiffer, but you would have to take some measurements and find the correct one. As stated before a small TT would also give you more uptravel and would result in the suspension taking longer to bottom out. Every inch of up you gain will be an inch you lose in down though.

2. http://www.andysautosport.com/products/pro_comp__69091.html

If you are indeed bottoming out alot you can use a beefier, more cushioned bump stop than stock. If it is an inch taller it will obvisouly hit earlier, but being more cushioned it will be a softer hit.

3. http://www.ranger-forums.com/suspension-tech-36/shock-upgrade-114722/

Look at post #4 from the link above. This is a high quality shock that can be tuned to be very "stiff" and put in a stock location. It will not increase spring rate, but will make a difference and is bolt in. Also if you are working the truck alot the fluid in the shock will heat up. The bigger, better quality and more fluid capacity (resi) the shock all helps keep the fluid cool which will keep the shock at max performance even after extended constant use such as a long trail ride. If your current shocks are ok at the start but start bottoming out more after awhile this could be in part to the shock fluid getting warm and "giving up" or just performing poorly.

Just my $.02.

...considering the inferior nature of the torsion bar as a progressive spring.

This is it almost exactly, when the truck is in 4WD Low on undulating ground at 5-10mph, the front springs seem to collapse and the truck starts to bounce and I have to stop the truck completely. Bottoming out is not so much the issue as the bouncing.

Air shocks, coil overs, or stiffer shocks all seem they would help but would not be the ideal fix, however.

If you're on the trail that much, and already running Bilsteins as you've said, which is the same shock I also use and love, have you considered removing the front sway bar altogether to allow each front wheel to absorb bumps more independently? I only ever do mild off roading, but my truck sees a lot of deep snow and bad roads in the winter.

MercuryMullet, I REALLY like what that guy did with those Bilstein 7100's!

This is it almost exactly, when the truck is in 4WD Low on undulating ground at 5-10mph, the front springs seem to collapse and the truck starts to bounce and I have to stop the truck completely. Bottoming out is not so much the issue as the bouncing.

Air shocks, coil overs, or stiffer shocks all seem they would help but would not be the ideal fix, however.

If bouncing is your main issue that is a dampening area and I would recommend a tunable shock like the 7100. They can be tuned extremely firm and eliminate alot of bouncing. When the fluid gets hot they will tend to "bounce" more as well and the resi shock will resistance heat longer.

If you're on the trail that much, and already running Bilsteins as you've said, which is the same shock I also use and love, have you considered removing the front sway bar altogether to allow each front wheel to absorb bumps more independently? I only ever do mild off roading, but my truck sees a lot of deep snow and bad roads in the winter.

MercuryMullet, I REALLY like what that guy did with those Bilstein 7100's!

I know, that is a really nice setup for a TT/stock. I have passed that on to several people who what something without much fab and I'm sure the cost is less than a Coilover.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're on the trail that much...

It is 99% highway and 1% off-road, sand mostly, and it still needs to tow a boat!

How much help would a coil over add-on be, if one were available? Is there a kit I could bolt on to my existing front Billsteins?

Back