• Register Today It's free!

brake pads

junkbuzzard

Reaction score
City, State
wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer
anyone know if its possible for a brake pad that was put in, 2 months ago the inner pad, to just vanish? was like I blew a line and then I had metal on metal when I hit the brakes. no pad on the street or fluid. so when I got home the pad was gone and the caliper cups were on the rotor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes should be under warranty.

Pretty easy to nest the pads between the caliper and rotor improperly if you don't know what you're doing (don't ask me how I know). May have gotten jostled off at some point.

If the rotor is too thin, it can allow the pad to slide out as well.

I get the pads from zone, they are the only ones to stand behind them as the wife did as mail route for years even my 93 and 95 explorers I did the brake and the blazer too. that thng blew front seals and the 93 had a 5 spead man , went thu 2 cltches and 2 trans mashed bambi and his sister befor xmas, that howq I got the 95.

that thng blew front seals and the 93 had a 5 spead man , went thu 2 cltches and 2 trans mashed bambi and his sister befor xmas, that howq I got the 95.
Translation?

When I recently put new pads and rotors on the Ex I got in a hurry finishing up on the passenger side and as a result I put the inner pad in backward (steel side to rotor). Needless to say it didn't take long to hear the problem and correct it. Lesson learned... Always inspect your work before buttoning everything up...

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

When I recently put new pads and rotors on the Ex I got in a hurry finishing up on the passenger side and as a result I put the inner pad in backward (steel side to rotor). Needless to say it didn't take long to hear the problem and correct it. Lesson learned... Always inspect your work before buttoning everything up...

yikes! did it damage the rotor?

Interesting...I lost a pad from the rear of my 94 Mustang over the summer, the PO had installed Auto Zone pads all around. I ended up replacing the caliper also, as the piston was damaged from rotor contact. Never did figure out why it happened

Bill

yikes! did it damage the rotor?

Just minor scratches... I caught it in time to prevent major gouges...

The wrong rotor, or a rotor that is out of spec can allow the pad to travel too far and have it just slide right out, we have had at least 2 GMC Yukons do this because they previous shop installed the wrong rotors.

Back